Read 13055 times

Ajosshis that start crossing before the light turns green
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »
Do they really think its so impressive? Like they have a secret knowledge of when the light will change before everyone else.

I really need to have my cellphone cam ready next time, today one of them totally mis-timed it- he strode out on the red light, but then had to run off the zebra crossing to avoid being hit by a truck. And then he stared down everyone to make sure nobody was laughing at him. Hilarious!

Creating shared values

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Re: Ajosshis that start crossing before the light turns green
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »
haha i have to admit i always do this, cant be bothered to wait like 15 minutes at each crossing, boring  :evil:

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:46:00 pm »
I posted this in another thread the other day. Though in Toronto, I'd be shocked if they weren't Korean.

https://ca.screen.yahoo.com/instant-karma/apparent-dispute-zebra-crossing-leads-100000584.html

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:07:27 pm »
Yeah i had to tell my students to stop doing that because they would almost get hit by someone running the light.

On another note, I wish the lights weren't so long here in the first place. Everyone always runs to catch them because they know if they miss it, they will be waiting a good 3-5 minutes.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 10:34:26 pm »
Yeah i had to tell my students to stop doing that because they would almost get hit by someone running the light.

On another note, I wish the lights weren't so long here in the first place. Everyone always runs to catch them because they know if they miss it, they will be waiting a good 3-5 minutes.

There's a sh*tty little intersection between Anyang and Gwangmyeong station that takes at least 5 minutes to change if you just miss it, and usually there's like 1 car waiting in each direction. I miss roundabouts

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:59 am »
I don't see what the big deal is. If no cars are coming, I jaywalk too. 

• NG85
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2011, 08:14:00 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:16 am »
Pretty much people from every country do this?  Time to go home my friend or google the symptoms of culture shock.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:55:35 am »

I find it sad that today's culture has become so obsessed with speed that 3 - 5 minutes is a serious hassle in life.

There are legitimate times when 3 - 5 minutes are life or death, but how many times do they occur in our lives?

Relax at the light, listen to music and sing along.
Hail Caesar

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 08:58:38 am »

I find it sad that today's culture has become so obsessed with speed that 3 - 5 minutes is a serious hassle in life.

There are legitimate times when 3 - 5 minutes are life or death, but how many times do they occur in our lives?

Relax at the light, listen to music and sing along.

that's kind of loaded. i remember my parents and others moaning at long stop lights before the use of smart phones etc.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:05 am »
Pretty much people from every country do this?  Time to go home my friend or google the symptoms of culture shock.

You missed the point, my dear friend.

Its not about jaywalking.

Its that they wait until the moment they think the light is going to turn green. Like they can predict the exact moment it will go green. So that they're a few yards ahead of everybody else and appear to have superior sensory perception.
Creating shared values

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 09:41:08 am »
I posted this in another thread the other day. Though in Toronto, I'd be shocked if they weren't Korean.

https://ca.screen.yahoo.com/instant-karma/apparent-dispute-zebra-crossing-leads-100000584.html

LOL. They could definitely be Korean. Check out the woman's head gear. That's ajumma attire.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:33 am »
They're probably just watching the car lights instead of the pedestrian lights. They always change a bit before the pedestrian ones. It's a pretty common thing to do.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:55:27 am »

LOL. They could definitely be Korean. Check out the woman's head gear. That's ajumma attire.

If they aren't Korean then the sky isn't blue.

• rowdes
  • Veteran

• June 23, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:20 am »
What's even more annoying is that you only have 20-30 seconds to actually cross the road. Otherwise, you have to wait 3-5 mins again.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 11:08:36 am »

If they aren't Korean then the sky isn't blue.
The sky's pretty grey over here today. :'(

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 11:25:20 am »
I have absolutely no problems with people crossing the street on red light.  Especially in Korea. 
Why?  Because the traffic light system here is pretty messed up.  Where I am right now, the green light for pedestrians stays on for about 20 seconds.  For cars?  About 90 seconds and then they get another 30 seconds for the cars to turn right/left. 

So yeah - I often cross when it's red light.  I do this either during the 70 second interval after the pedestrian green light goes off (it is just as safe to cross during this period as it is during the initial 20 second period - though if they do hit you, you won't get blood money - so, not a whole lot of legal protection there), or I keep an eye on the cars turning right/left during the following 30 seconds and if there are no cars moving, I cross the street then.

Having said that, it it does show red light, I do keep an eye on the traffic movement - just case I mess up. 

Why do they give pedestrians only 20 seconds while cars a whole 90 (keep in mind, it's illegal for cars to turn during those 90 seconds, so pedestrians are safe)?  I have no idea.  Perhaps they believe that there might be a handicapped ajoshi crossing the street at the speed of 4 meters an hour, so they are trying to protect him by precluding everyone to cross the street after the first 20 seconds. 

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 11:26:08 am »
+1

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 11:46:50 am »
But I can predict when the light will turn green. I've walked past the same light for years and years. It's not rocket science. The lights always turn in the same order. Also, I am not a child unaware of my surrounding.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 11:58:34 am »
But I can predict when the light will turn green. I've walked past the same light for years and years. It's not rocket science. The lights always turn in the same order. Also, I am not a child unaware of my surrounding.

Ah, but you aren't an adjeossi so it's 100% A okay.

• NG85
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2011, 08:14:00 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 03:10:50 pm »

You missed the point, my dear friend.

Its not about jaywalking.

Its that they wait until the moment they think the light is going to turn green. Like they can predict the exact moment it will go green. So that they're a few yards ahead of everybody else and appear to have superior sensory perception.

Yes people do this in every city.  Myself included occasionally.