Read 11079 times

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: new 2016/17 SMOE contract renewal...no bonus this time
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 07:56:07 am »
Are you guys talking about the flight money?

Some people mistakenly consider that "bonus" money.

There hasn't been a renewal bonus in ages, no?

renewal bonus is not flight money, lol  :laugh: for those who think so

get wise son
Not sure what you mean by this.  I came to Korea on a SMOE contract in 2008.  In those days, part of the incentive program for re-signing was a paid RT flight home on Korean Air.  Or a paid flight anywhere you could talk J** P** into.

Arranging the flights, and the potential disparity between costs to various home locales was such a headache it eventually led SMOE to replace the paid flight home with a flat 2 million won.

The contract I signed for 2014-2015 paid me the 2 mil "bonus" money in September 2015.  The contract I signed for 2015-2016 will not have such a feature if I choose to re-sign in 2016.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:58:15 am by Mr C »

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 10:49:02 am »
But those people on 2015-16 contracts should get the bonus this March, if it was in the contract running up until this February... it's just in March 2017 they won't get the re-signing bonus. At least that's what I presume

Just wanted to +1 this because I don't think everyone in this thread understands.

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 11:10:08 am »
But those people on 2015-16 contracts should get the bonus this March, if it was in the contract running up until this February... it's just in March 2017 they won't get the re-signing bonus. At least that's what I presume

Just wanted to +1 this because I don't think everyone in this thread understands.

I cut and pasted this from the March 2015 - Feb 2016 "Information for Renewing Native Speaking English Teachers" SMOE document.

"3. Renewal Allowance
SMOE will give a Renewal Allowance of 2,000,000 Korean Won. This will be given on the
first month’s pay of your new contract. In case of the termination of the Renewal contract
within the first six (6) months, regardless of course of ground therefore, the Employee shall
immediately pay back to the Employer 700,000 KRW of the 2,000,000 KRW Renewal
Allowance. (**Renewal Allowance will be removed starting from 2016. Please read the
“2015 Renewal Agreement Form”)
"

So yes like others have said, those people on 2015-16 contracts should get the bonus this coming March.  Some clarifying statement from SMOE on their Facebook wouldn't go astray.

• jamonamagnet
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2015, 10:09:26 am
    more
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 11:14:32 am »
Wow!  Two pages anticipating the problem already.  I wonder if we can keep this thread going until March when fantasy becomes reality.

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 11:59:20 am »
it's interesting to see how many people are choosing not to renew contracts now with the deteriorating conditions. i wonder if EPIK/the korean government will notice.

a few weeks ago we had a thread on here talking about how Daegu was practically begging NETs to come back. well, if you cut the pay scale and make NETs do a whole bunch of other BS that makes them unhappy, they'll leave. a number of people i know used to teach public school in Daegu but are now actually teaching in hagwons because they got tired of DMOE's BS.

not only that but there are 800 positions all over the country that EPIK needs to fill this coming hiring season.

maybe that's average for EPIK, but it still seems like a lot to me.

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 12:03:16 pm »

I cut and pasted this from the March 2015 - Feb 2016 "Information for Renewing Native Speaking English Teachers" SMOE document.

"3. Renewal Allowance
SMOE will give a Renewal Allowance of 2,000,000 Korean Won. This will be given on the
first month’s pay of your new contract. In case of the termination of the Renewal contract
within the first six (6) months, regardless of course of ground therefore, the Employee shall
Allowance. (**Renewal Allowance will be removed starting from 2016. Please read the
"

So yes like others have said, those people on 2015-16 contracts should get the bonus this coming March.  Some clarifying statement from SMOE on their Facebook wouldn't go astray.
Your information is not the 2015/2016 contract, it is information for those about to sign it. It is simply saying in 2015 March a renewal bonus will be paid as mentioned in the 2014.2015 contract. Everyone received the bonus. Now this is a historical document about 1 year old and no longer applies in the current year for those renewing next year.

Anyone who works as a regular NET for SMOE and thinks they will be receiving a renewal bonus in March 2016 is either mistaken or has some kind of special arrangement.

If you signed the standard SMOE contract, there is mention of a 1 week renewal bonus if you renew for 2016/2017. There is no mention of a renewal bonus.

No bonus will be paid in March 2016. You are simply misinformed. Sorry.

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »

"3. Renewal Allowance
"

Your information is not the 2015/2016 contract, it is information for those about to sign it. It is simply saying in 2015 March a renewal bonus will be paid as mentioned in the 2014.2015 contract. Everyone received the bonus. Now this is a historical document about 1 year old and no longer applies in the current year for those renewing next year.

Anyone who works as a regular NET for SMOE and thinks they will be receiving a renewal bonus in March 2016 is either mistaken or has some kind of special arrangement.

If you signed the standard SMOE contract, there is mention of a 1 week renewal bonus if you renew for 2016/2017. There is no mention of a renewal bonus.

I also read it this way. The line in particular "(**Renewal Allowance will be removed starting from 2016. Please read the “2015 Renewal Agreement Form”)"  seems like it's obvious to me that from 2016, no more bonuses will be paid out. I don't read it as saying that "From 2016 the renewal bonus clause in the contract will be erased, but we'll still be paying out bonuses for all of 2016 renewals."

Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful for the 2016 renewees that they'll get bonuses, but they might be setting themselves up for disappointment. If you're unclear about it, why not contact the SMOE coordinator?

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
This is for SMOE not EPIK.  They know more folks want to live in Seoul and not out in the provinces.  But whatever happens in Seoul eventually trickles out to the provinces so the bonus loss out here won't be too far behind.  Only change so far is the 2 million won't be paid in 2016 right away.  I'll get the 1.3 million I would as if I left.  Then, I'll get the extra 700,000 6 months later.  As for the lack of bonus or flights they are trying to follow hakwons.  The hakwons have been trying the one way flight BS but most of teh ads I'm seeing lately still have two way flight and a slight uptick in salaries. 

The US economy is finally improving and China is opening up.  Some of the larger chains are even giving signing bonuses.  I want to make it 10 years so I can get some Korean pension when I'm old and my debts will be gone.  So, I'll tag along even if I lose this job and do anything to get another year in Korea.  After that, I can bugger off to China or get my relatives to get me into the US if their economy is finally back to it's potential.  It's past growth rates have always been impressive compared to other western nations. 

Anyways, China is expanding it's desire for English teachers and has a much larger population.  So, after another year, SMOE and to some extent EPIK will prob find shortages.  Most of us can cross borders and don't need to be tied to one country.  If you're only here for a eyar or two, just cash out the pension and go. I'm only here because I'm so close to the 10 year mark.  (Actually closing in on 9 year mark soon.  So, one more contract will get me over the hump.) 

As for me, provincial EPIk with level 1+, the renewal allowance, and some occasional overtime averages me out to $3500 a month Cdn excluding housing. (Helps that the exchange rate is recovering the past year or two.)  But with the cheaper living cost compared to canada and lower taxes, it's like making more if I were living in Canada.  But, if I were only getting lowballed with 2.1, I'd do a year or two here for the experience and I'd hop over to China.  (You can pay your student loans and wire money from there even if it's a pain in the butt compared to here.) 

The market is quickly flipping back to our favor.  If not, there's China, Vietnam, etc.  Just buy a good quality RESPO type mask and filters (XL if you're a man) and a good air purifier or cleaner for you home once you get there. 

AS for the wages, the salary levels kept getting raised during my first two or three years here because they were desperate, more rural than urban, of course.  The last hike was 2009.  But, when I first got here, first year salary was 1.8 million won with 100,000 provincial allowance.  Top for most people capped out at 2.2 or 2.3 or something like that.  Then, they hiked the pay for each levels for a while.  Lowest rural pay rate is 2.1 but now you can't apply as a level 3.  So, you'd start at 2.2 and after a few years get up to 2.7 plus more money for multiple schools and rural allowances so long as you don't live in a legal city.  That puts you up near 3 mil, than if there's a bit of overtime, more, then renewal allowance averaged out per month.  So, wages have gone up in some places.  But Seoul and Busan are a pittance with more expensive rents.  (This if you took the allowance and rented your own place.) 

I'd claim to be rolling in the cash except the bad exchange rate and making a lower salary until a couple of years ago combined with high debts kept me poor.  The recovered exchange and the final raises have finally let me dent these things.  Loans gone by end of the year and Credit cards gone by sometime mid next year? (We'll see there.)  Anyhow, power if flipping to me and to you where Korea and SMOE will soon be irrelevant if they keep playing these games.  Personally, I would take a slight pay cut next year in exchange for a bit more vacation.   I'd like to have more free time.  Maybe SMOE will either have to face reality or go eff itself. 

Took SMOE a while to start trimming after the recession hit, so may take them awhile to get back to untrimming now.  We'll see.  Either way, we will all soon have multiple options.

• jomi
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2015, 02:07:46 pm
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »

"3. Renewal Allowance
"

This.
It was clearly explained when we signed to renew last year.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 01:01:43 pm »

while this sucks because it's 2 million won gone. The original purpose of this bonus was so you could fly home and get a new visa. Years ago, you had to return to your home country to get a new one. You no longer need to go home in between contracts, so why keep giving out that 2 million won? It makes sense from a money standpoint for SMOE when every single year they are trying to work with a smaller and smaller budget.

And this is the reason why there is a gendered pay gap  :huh:
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• Rafiqua
  • Super Waygook

• January 05, 2013, 04:15:41 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:38 pm »
Yup, it just keeps going downhill.  Many NSETs suggested compensating this deletion of cash with increased vacation.  They basically scoffed at that.  As tamjen mentioned, that "extra" week vacation is next, probably on the next round of contracts. 

So, let's recap.  SMOE/EPIK is cutting bonuses and vacation.  They haven't increased their pay scale in over a decade, and even moving up the established ladder each year leaves you behind inflation rates (so you're actually earning less real won).  They haven't increased the allowance for housing, either to the schools or individuals so many teachers now have to pay out of pocket or get even worse holes in the wall (esp.  in Seoul).  They removed Saturday classes years ago, which made the school year longer and thus resulted in more teaching days.  And they keep adding more mandatory camps to the point where what vacation time is left is often broken up even to the point of the infamous "half days". 

Yet government officials and the public consistently complain about unqualified teachers.  You get what you pay for!  What qualified teacher is going to settle for US$2000, a mildew and roach infested noise fest of an apartment, a few days off here and there decided at the last minute by someone else?  All while being given all the responsibility and none of the authority and playing the scapegoat in the masquerade that is Korean education? 

PS used to be a good gig in Korea, but it's over now.  There are much better opportunities inside the country and just next to it, too.

+1

Can't agree more. I have only been here 3 years and was so excited NOT to sign.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 01:09:03 pm »
AS for the wages, the salary levels kept getting raised during my first two or three years here because they were desperate, more rural than urban, of course.  The last hike was 2009.  But, when I first got here, first year salary was 1.8 million won with 100,000 provincial allowance.  Top for most people capped out at 2.2 or 2.3 or something like that.  Then, they hiked the pay for each levels for a while.  Lowest rural pay rate is 2.1 but now you can't apply as a level 3.  So, you'd start at 2.2 and after a few years get up to 2.7 plus more money for multiple schools and rural allowances so long as you don't live in a legal city.  That puts you up near 3 mil, than if there's a bit of overtime, more, then renewal allowance averaged out per month.  So, wages have gone up in some places.  But Seoul and Busan are a pittance with more expensive rents.  (This if you took the allowance and rented your own place.) 

The economy is turning in our favor, but just like Japan, Korea is now over saturated with NET's due to the layoffs.

I'm a pay level 5 teacher working for 2.2 because that's all schools are willing to offer. They know there is some one who would take my position in a heart-beat.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 01:09:16 pm »
Ima let you finish, but JLP is the best program of all time.
Open your mind.

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 01:20:08 pm »

The economy is turning in our favor, but just like Japan, Korea is now over saturated with NET's due to the layoffs.

I'm a pay level 5 teacher working for 2.2 because that's all schools are willing to offer. They know there is some one who would take my position in a heart-beat.

I'm guessing you've been ehre for a while Hot 6?  Maybe nearly as long as me if you know the same info as me?  I think you can do better than 2.2 even in Korea?  Search Dave's and Waygook, there are some ASAP jobs that pop up.  You can prob negotiate your next hakwon job into 2.4 or 2.5ish range if you can demonstrate how good you are with kids and have teaching materials.  But you have to catch them when they really need someone ASAP.  You might not be able to be too choosy about location however.  That's what I'd do if I lost my current job.  But it would mean waiting around on the D6 being a little picky.  But,it's just this eyar, the economy is finally recovering. Some nets are going home, some are going to China.  The market is and always will be more saturated than it was prior to 2009, but less so than the past few years.  I think going into 2016, NETS will have more power than they've had for a long time. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:41 pm »

while this sucks because it's 2 million won gone. The original purpose of this bonus was so you could fly home and get a new visa. Years ago, you had to return to your home country to get a new one. You no longer need to go home in between contracts, so why keep giving out that 2 million won? It makes sense from a money standpoint for SMOE when every single year they are trying to work with a smaller and smaller budget.

And this is the reason why there is a gendered pay gap  :huh:
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. That one gender earns more than the other? How does that relate to the topic at hand?

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 03:41:25 pm »

"3. Renewal Allowance
"

You're right. I was mistaken. Now i understand. I guess it was wishful thinking!

• draco888
  • Super Waygook

• August 11, 2013, 09:11:35 pm
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2015, 04:03:43 pm »

The US economy is finally improving and China is opening up.  Some of the larger chains are even giving signing bonuses.  I want to make it 10 years so I can get some Korean pension when I'm old and my debts will be gone.  So, I'll tag along even if I lose this job and do anything to get another year in Korea.  After that, I can bugger off to China or get my relatives to get me into the US if their economy is finally back to it's potential.  It's past growth rates have always been impressive compared to other western nations. 

Have you actually worked out how much that 10yrs worth of pension will actually be worth to you though? $160pm in todays money?

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:50 pm »

Have you actually worked out how much that 10yrs worth of pension will actually be worth to you though? $160pm in todays money?

I was told 20 years or something like that meant 600,000 won a month.  So, 10 would be 300,000 a month/  I'd prob get a couple of hundered from the canada Pension Plan and then some more from the Old Age Pension which is defined by residency in Canada, but will count Korean residency as long as I paid into the pension.  If I cash out the Korean pension, I'd lose some monthly money plus some of the Old Age Pension as I'd have no proof of residency without paying into the pension.  So, while I'm not getting a huge amount, something is better than nothing.  Then, of course if I work for another 25 to 30 years, I'll get more, unless I skip off to China where I'd prob have no pension.  So, I want to earn some pension while I can if that's the case.  Most foreigners here don't think. 

Finally working out my pension to date.  In todays money it's 340 dollars Canadian.  Times 12 months. 4080 x 25 years is 102,000.  It's more than me cashing it out and maybe getting 20 grand or so.  It's not much I'd be getting but it's in addition to other pension I'd be getting from canada or anywhere's else. 

Anyways, if I'm not working in Canada, then I have to get some pension from somewhere to make up the difference.  I maybe have 5 years work in Canada in total.   You folks got to think of your future unless you're here for one or two years and going home for good. 

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 06:07:28 pm »
It's getting steadily worse folks, for all the education office contracts. I was told the EPIK area where I live won't be hiring any GETs next year. The newbies are hired by the larger PoE instead of the county OE. The new contracts do not have a 200K re-signing bonus.

Wait, the next thing to go will be the 1 week extra vacation. They've already cut that in half.

What area are you in?

I made a typo, I meant 2 million re-signing bonus. I am in Gyengsangnamdo in Namhae-gun for another 3 1/2 months anyway.
Hail Caesar

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:15 pm »
It's getting steadily worse folks, for all the education office contracts. I was told the EPIK area where I live won't be hiring any GETs next year. The newbies are hired by the larger PoE instead of the county OE. The new contracts do not have a 200K re-signing bonus.

Wait, the next thing to go will be the 1 week extra vacation. They've already cut that in half.

What area are you in?

I made a typo, I meant 2 million re-signing bonus. I am in Gyengsangnamdo in Namhae-gun for another 3 1/2 months anyway.

Did you look at the standard contrat from the GOE for 2016-2017? They are offering the bonus but it is 1300000 after a month then the remaining 700000 once you finish the contract. The money is there just not all at once. Sucks but I will take it over the nothing the NETs up north are getting.