Read 13652 times

Re: I saw a teacher assault a young student yesterday morning
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »
Jeeee-sus. Fine, children should be hit often, hard, for little or no reason, and by strangers. Okay? Can we go back to talking about the OP's situation now?

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2015, 03:06:22 am »
OP needs to go full-on moral high-horse on this. Tell them that you've been triggered, preferably wailing "Muh triggerz!" and then lecture them on how it's wrong. Bug-eyed, leaning forward, wagging your finger, the works.

Emphasise the words "I", "me", "my" and the like. For example "I don't want you doing x in front of me in my classroom" (whilst maintaining maximum bug-eyedness).

The best thing you can do is make as big a deal of this as possible. I think you'll get loads of support from the school and the MOE/POE- everyone loves a newly-arrived outsider lecturing people on how they're wrong.

Or- I completely agree with OP, walloping kids and having them down on the floor is way too much, if that is what happened. However, I think getting all involved is just vanity, perhaps more about satisfying the OP's own sense of moral outrage rather than realistically helping the situation. The K teachers most likely will know about what happened and incidents like it. They are the people to sort it out, and as noticed, in Korea the trend is away from this kind of punishment. Give time the time to do its thing, things are already moving in the 'right' direction overall. OP need do nothing, and most likely is in no position to do anything efficacious anyway. Getting involved without efficacy will make OP a vain martyr who is pegged by the school as an annoyance. Based on the OP's impotence alone, I would say- leave it, you are not going to make things better.

oo oo ahh ahh

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »
OP needs to go full-on moral high-horse on this. Tell them that you've been triggered, preferably wailing "Muh triggerz!" and then lecture them on how it's wrong. Bug-eyed, leaning forward, wagging your finger, the works.

Emphasise the words "I", "me", "my" and the like. For example "I don't want you doing x in front of me in my classroom" (whilst maintaining maximum bug-eyedness).

The best thing you can do is make as big a deal of this as possible. I think you'll get loads of support from the school and the MOE/POE- everyone loves a newly-arrived outsider lecturing people on how they're wrong.

People who deride this 'safe space' culture seem to endlessly bring up the subject out of the blue, I've noticed. You go on to say that you actually agree with me, so why bring this strange agenda into it? Do social justice people really bother you that much?!

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2015, 07:14:02 pm »
You can report it to the police. Try to do so anonymously. Have a Korean friend translate up a vague description of the situation and send it to them through a proxy. Describe the situation not from your point of view.

They will be required to investigate it.

And when the police come to the school and investigate, who do you think everyone will assume reported the situation? I'm sure they'll all think, "Oh, definitely not the fresh foreign teacher. He only witnessed the event, intervened, and pulled the teacher off the student during the scuffle. Welp, that rules him out."

They can assume all they want. It seems to be apparent that several other students witnessed it, anyone could have reported it. The point is to report it anonymously so even the police don't know who reported it, and in doing so you wouldn't talk about how "you pulled the guy off" as that would obviously give it away. Simply send an anonymous note to the police station that a teacher assaulted a student in the hallway and there were tons of kids and teachers who saw it. The end.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• Zoo
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »

People who deride this 'safe space' culture seem to endlessly bring up the subject out of the blue, I've noticed. You go on to say that you actually agree with me, so why bring this strange agenda into it? Do social justice people really bother you that much?!

No, this is what we mean by partially agreeing with someone. I agree with your sentiment, I disagree with your method.
oo oo ahh ahh

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2015, 11:33:51 pm »
OP did you ever find out what caused it to escalate to that point?

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2015, 10:31:30 am »

Anyway; I'm back at the aforementioned school today, but all 48 of the students and the teacher in question are on a field trip in Busan! (One of those classic last-minute things in terms of me being told about it, not that I mind). I don't want to go and grill my CT about it in the staff room downstairs so maybe I'll text her later or something. Or I may not. It does seem very unlikely that I can get anything done about this, unfortunately. At the least I'm just gonna try and look out for the kid and keep a close eye on that teacher in future.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:11:26 pm by Yaya »

• Yaya
  • Featured Contributor

• May 08, 2014, 01:25:18 pm
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »
Off topic posts were removed

• Chewster
  • Adventurer

• January 26, 2015, 10:41:16 pm
    • Yongin
    more
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2015, 12:58:55 pm »
6. You're out of your gourd if you think a Korean elementary school would ever get to a point where parents are apologizing for anything their little darlings did.

I rather enjoy this "it never happened to me so it could never happen" attitude that pervades this Goddamn site. Is it really that hard to think that a situation you didn't directly experience is plausible?

Guess what? It has happened in my elementary school. This year. A grade 3 student swore at the principal (which is strange, he's the chillest guy ever) and the parents came in to apologize and have a meeting with the homeroom teacher about his behavior.

Ergo, you're wrong.

Korean teachers hit students/ abuse students  =  its OK.

Foreign teacher raises voice at student = The foreign teacher is reprimanded, threatened, made to apologize to the student.

I worked in three different hagwons for three years before going public and I never once had to apologize for yelling at a kid when they were being a shithead. At my first school, I once talked to the parents of this bratty kindie girl, but that was it. They said their piece, I said I'd try to work with her more directly and I proceed to ignore her when she was acting like a brat for the rest of the semester and not a word more about it. I never once was forced to apologize and I never would have even if told to, unless I felt I had actually been out of line.

I've heard stories from friends where they've physically tossed kids into the hall or else gotten the director involved after yelling at students when they were continuously acting up and no garbage from parents.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I'm sure it does but you people must work for some ultra shitty puss schools or something because it's never really come up with me or any of my close friends.

OP: I have to mirror what others have said. I don't know the situation and I don't think that level of punishment or violence is ever really justified but you're opening up a world of pain if you make a big thing of this. Calling the police, even anonymously is incredibly poor advice. Find out what happened, express your discomfort and move on safe in the fact that these sorts of incidents are dwindling and will become increasingly rare.

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2015, 01:58:33 pm »
6. You're out of your gourd if you think a Korean elementary school would ever get to a point where parents are apologizing for anything their little darlings did.

I rather enjoy this "it never happened to me so it could never happen" attitude that pervades this Goddamn site. Is it really that hard to think that a situation you didn't directly experience is plausible?

Guess what? It has happened in my elementary school. This year. A grade 3 student swore at the principal (which is strange, he's the chillest guy ever) and the parents came in to apologize and have a meeting with the homeroom teacher about his behavior.

Ergo, you're wrong.

Fine, I'm wrong. I fully admit it. You can stop slavering now; I'm worried for your sanity that you're so het up over this tiny little thing.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• Zoo
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »

OP: I have to mirror what others have said. I don't know the situation and I don't think that level of punishment or violence is ever really justified but you're opening up a world of pain if you make a big thing of this. Calling the police, even anonymously is incredibly poor advice. Find out what happened, express your discomfort and move on safe in the fact that these sorts of incidents are dwindling and will become increasingly rare.

This fellow is speaking sense.
oo oo ahh ahh

• Chewster
  • Adventurer

• Yongin
    more
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 02:42:37 pm »
Fine, I'm wrong. I fully admit it. You can stop slavering now; I'm worried for your sanity that you're so het up over this tiny little thing.

Spend more time worrying about what you type and opening up your mind to the possibility that your experience isn't universal and less about my apparent insanity at calling you out on your bullshit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:45:30 pm by Chewster »

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »

Spend more time worrying about what you type and opening up your mind to the possibility that your experience isn't universal and less about my apparent insanity at calling you out on your bullshit.

How is my having a different experience than yours bullshit, but your having a different experience than mine completely and inarguably valid? Especially since you seem to have this weird, pulsating hatred for me?

Oh! Because you are crazy-go-nuts. Have a nice day.

• AndyKanerva
  • Super Waygook

• February 23, 2014, 08:43:23 am
    • Gangwon-DO
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2015, 03:18:24 pm »

How is my having a different experience than yours bullshit, but your having a different experience than mine completely and inarguably valid? Especially since you seem to have this weird, pulsating hatred for me?

Kind of ironic how he mentioned it irritates him how some members will say something is implausible since it never happens at their school, then proceeds to 'prove you wrong' by claiming they shouldn't do such a thing because he has seen otherwise at his school.
He is essentially saying, 'I hate others' anecdotal evidence as it contradicts MY anecdotal evidence.'
Ergo, he is wrong.

• Chewster
  • Adventurer

• Yongin
    more
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »

Kind of ironic how he mentioned it irritates him how some members will say something is implausible since it never happens at their school, then proceeds to 'prove you wrong' by claiming they shouldn't do such a thing because he has seen otherwise at his school.
He is essentially saying, 'I hate others' anecdotal evidence as it contradicts MY anecdotal evidence.'
Ergo, he is wrong.

Posting two replies is a "weird, pulsating hatred" for you? Wow. You must have the biggest ego on the whole peninsula to think that. Allow me to deflate it for you: I haven't given you more than a few minutes thought today and didn't even know you existed before my initial reply. Feel better?

The original post I replied to said that people would have to be out of their minds to think that elementary schools would get to the point where parents would apologize for their children's behavior. I, as well as other posters have had experiences to the contrary. Speaking as though your experience is an absolute or talking in generalizations will attract these kinds of replies.

And I didn't once say that my anecdotal evidence is universal (and said as much in the second part of my initial reply) merely that his is not either. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »

Ergo, he is wrong.

Haha. That was exactly my reaction as well. That guy obviously does not know the meaning of "irony."

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2015, 08:14:11 pm »
Haha. That was exactly my reaction as well. That guy obviously does not know the meaning of "irony."
It's like "coppery" or "silvery", only made of iron.

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2015, 10:19:37 pm »
It's like "coppery" or "silvery", only made of iron.

And I can see that he/she isn't the only one.