Read 10679 times

Ppalli Ppalli mentality is dying
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:00 pm »
Seems to me Koreans are slower than ever now. In fact they have become world-class dawdlers.

Ten years ago everyone was in a mad rush. You couldn't so much as pause for breath when ordering at the counter or people would hiss. There was a sort of manic aggressive energy that permeated everything.

But everywhere I go nowadays Koreans are idling. Taking their time to get served, taking aeons to finish on the cash machine, blocking every doorway, threshold; hogging every service point; obstructing and every queue, lazily blocking everyone trying to pass. They act as if they have all the time in the world.

What changed?
Creating shared values

Re: Ppalli Ppalli mentality is dying
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:03:48 pm »
Could be the fact that I've only been here 8 months, but I'm going to say, maybe you adapted, caught up to "Korean Light Speed" and now that you have arrived, everything seems to move in slow-motion  :P I hear Palli Palli like a hundred times a day, and that's no exaggeration.

Maybe they are slowing down though, like I said, haven't been here long. I'm just talking for the sake of talking, don't mind me.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:15:50 pm »
I haven't noticed much of a change, if any.

I do think it's two different sides to the same inconsiderate coin.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:30:23 pm »
I've found some things to be rush, rush, rush whilst other things are super casual.  Quite a mixture.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:30:36 pm »
I have a weird observation which agrees with your premise. Driving towards downtown, I didn't see any roadkill. Usually, there are about 5 going and 2 coming back home. Today, zilch.

• sonny
  • Veteran

• June 10, 2015, 01:18:01 pm
    • Live~Love~Laugh
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:03:35 pm »
Could be the fact that I've only been here 8 months, but I'm going to say, maybe you adapted, caught up to "Korean Light Speed" and now that you have arrived, everything seems to move in slow-motion  :P I hear Palli Palli like a hundred times a day, and that's no exaggeration. .
I think there is some truth in this. You become acclimatized. I went home last Christmas and the difference was startling.
Eat. Pray. Love. Travel. = My life

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:28 pm »
When a Korean is driving behind you, no matter how fast you are going, they will tailgate you, honk, flash their lights, etc.

When you are driving behind a Korean, suddenly it's all look at the pretty mountains, wouldja look at that cement plant, better drive extra slow so you can get a look at it, also let me check my phone messages and light a cigarette.

And for people who like bragging about how much they work and "study," they sure love disappearing in a cloud of dust when it's time to go home.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 10:56:03 pm »
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a Korean thing. But I'm not surprised in general that people give themselves slack while giving everyone else grief. No surprise there at all.

But yeah, so many people here are jealous and greedy and covet special privileges and treatment that they resent others getting.

Few people seem to get that consideration and politeness are two-way streets. And I'm not one to go jogging off to the Confucianism trough on all things Korean, but in this case I think it makes sense. Everyone's so keen to say "F**k you! Don't you know who I am?!" and then shrug when someone else pulls the same attitude. Everyone wants to race to the top by tearing each other down. Cooperation, my ass. One country, one people? Forget it.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 02:46:35 am »
I always noticed the slowness at the supermarket check-out.

People wait until everything is scanned before they get their money and cards out. Then after faffing about with that, then they put their stuff in bags.
oo oo ahh ahh

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 03:54:04 am »
From 2002-2009 I noticed the bali-bali culture but then I moved to Jeju and a more laid back island culture sure is apparent here. Jeju is more chill than the mainland and it has nothing to do with the size of cities because I taught in small (50,000 pop.) places on the mainland before where rushing around happened constantly. That said, the taxi drivers, bus drivers and cement trucks still drive like a bat out of hell.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:04:41 am »
Seems to me Koreans are slower than ever now. In fact they have become world-class dawdlers.

Ten years ago everyone was in a mad rush. You couldn't so much as pause for breath when ordering at the counter or people would hiss. There was a sort of manic aggressive energy that permeated everything.

But everywhere I go nowadays Koreans are idling. Taking their time to get served, taking aeons to finish on the cash machine, blocking every doorway, threshold; hogging every service point; obstructing and every queue, lazily blocking everyone trying to pass. They act as if they have all the time in the world.

What changed?

A lot of the older generation are dying off, the younger ones with a sense of entitlement have replaced them.

• jomi
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2015, 02:07:46 pm
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:04:55 am »
Could be the fact that I've only been here 8 months, but I'm going to say, maybe you adapted, caught up to "Korean Light Speed" and now that you have arrived, everything seems to move in slow-motion  :P I hear Palli Palli like a hundred times a day, and that's no exaggeration.

Maybe they are slowing down though, like I said, haven't been here long. I'm just talking for the sake of talking, don't mind me.

really? I think it is an exaggeration.
Me and my friends mock what we call the 'Seoul stroll' because everyone seems to walk at a snail's pace constantly. I'm a naturally fast walker, it drives me nuts.
Not to mention my Korean friends tend to show up at the last possible moment for everything. Never early, never really punctual either.

Koreans might say 빨리빨리 but I've never seen them actually...rush. Or have anythng that resembles a fast paced life, certainly not enough for it to be a culture point that is used as a way of defining everyday life in Korea the way 빨리빨리 is.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 07:34:20 am »
It entirely depends on where and when you are. The culture isn't dying at all. There is an increasing resistance in some circles perhaps.

• lovebunny
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2013, 08:14:15 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »
I used to tease my boyfriend that he didn't sleep, he just took eight hour study breaks.

Seriously, the guy couldn't chill out. He didn't eat, he took 'lunch breaks.' When he took a nap/watched tv/ hung out it was a hard earned 'break from work.'  Thing is, he had just as much if not more leisure time than I ever did. He could actually be pretty lazy, a lot of time spent napping and lounging around the house. I feel like a lot of people here think their lives are so busy and stressful they use it as an excuse when they're actually not doing much

"What do you like to do after work?"

Me: I go to the gym/ Korean class / meet my friends. Sometimes I'm not bothered and I chill out and watch TV.

My Korean friends: Oh I'm so busy and tired when I finish work I don't have time or the physical ability to do anything but watch TV and eat instant food.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:33:02 pm by lovebunny »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 12:34:51 pm »
I used to tease my boyfriend that he didn't sleep, he just took eight hour study breaks.

Seriously, the guy couldn't chill out. He didn't eat, he took 'lunch breaks.' When he took a nap/watched tv/ hung out it was a hard earned 'break from work.'  Thing is, he had just as much if not more leisure time than I ever did. He could actually be pretty lazy, a lot of time spent napping and lounging around the house. I feel like a lot of people here think their lives are so busy and stressful they use it as an excuse when they're actually not doing much

"What do you like to do after work?"

Me: I go to the gym/ Korean class / meet my friends. Sometimes I'm not bothered and I chill out and watch TV.

My Korean friends: Oh I'm so busy and tired when I finish work I don't have time or the physical ability to do anything but watch TV and eat instant food.

It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Deeper down the lazy hole............
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »
I'm quite alarmed at the spelling of 빨리 빨리 here. It's a B sound not a P sound.

If you think the 빨리 빨리 culture is dying then you should take the bus I take to school in the morning. There's barely enough time to open the doors to let people off and good luck trying to ask the driver where the bus is going when getting on. Ain't nobody got time for answering unnecessary questions like that.

I was in the corner shop the other day paying for a couple things at the counter and not once but twice someone came in and shoved a Man won into the clerk's hand for some cigarettes which she duly served before serving me.  Ain't nobody got time for queuing up or etiquette in a corner shop. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:25:05 pm by AgentMichaelScarn »

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »

Both the Revised Romanization system and the McCune-Reischauer system write ㅃ as pp.

http://www.korean.go.kr/front_eng/roman/roman_01.do
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCune%E2%80%93Reischauer

Nah, still not having it. Sounds nothing like how it should.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 01:41:54 pm »

Both the Revised Romanization system and the McCune-Reischauer system write ㅃ as pp.

http://www.korean.go.kr/front_eng/roman/roman_01.do
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCune%E2%80%93Reischauer

Nah, still not having it. Sounds nothing like how it should.

I've mentioned before how I think people should try and be consistent with Romanization, but this shit drives me nuts.

ㄱ, that's a g
ㅋ, that's a k
Alright cool.
ㄲ, that's a gg, right?

NO, IMBECILE, IT's TWO Ks!

Reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVPsbr9tz60

Also, no one would know it's Shillim as a tourist. I get it, 시 is a shhhhh sound. I've also been here almsot three years, I need to know that shit. The tourist in a cab? No idea. Sin chon, Sin Do Rim, Sillim. Sillim sounds ridiculous if you don't know the rules.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:43:51 pm by CO2 »
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 02:17:51 pm »
just use this, this is what the korean government uses: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/CU/CU_EN_8_6_3_1.jsp

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »
On the subject of pronunciation, the biggest mistake I made was trying to learn the sounds of the Korean vowels using a written chart (eg. "sounds like the 'o' in dog"...)

Those charts are useless because it's so difficult to get close to the Korean sound in English, especially with American/British accents and local dialects on top of that.

There are lots of confusing Romanized words too; it's a minefield.

For example why is 경성 romanized as Kyungsung?  In what world does the written 'u'  here rhyme with the vowel sound in the word 'song'?