Read 5823 times

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
Re: How much would it cost to run a space heater for one hour per day?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 08:41:39 am »
I figure a guy with a handle "Space" would know about space heaters right!  :P

Nonetheless, my ondol is oil fired and that's cool cuz oil is cheeeeap now. My wife is here and she's SE Asian, anything under 20C  and she's freezing. Thus, my apartment is warm from now till April.

Last year I spent about 1 million Won for oil and electricity combined and the huge majority of that cost came during the winter when I use the ondol.

What's up with this "heating comes on at ~pm and shuts off at ~am" jive??? Do you have no control over your own apartment? I know my friend in China has a place like that for the heat, but he controls the electricity.

Strangee
Hail Caesar

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:16 pm »
I never thought to ask anyone before, but how do I know if my heating system is electric or gas? I live in a relatively new officetel.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 12:35:41 pm »
I never thought to ask anyone before, but how do I know if my heating system is electric or gas? I live in a relatively new officetel.

If your heating is based on electricity you may receive:

* very low gas bills during Winter.
* higher electricity bills during Winter.

In some older places that don't have gas connected for cooking or for anything else, people may receive two electricity bills instead of one of each.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 12:40:48 pm »
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, but I only heat my living room with a space heater at night when my place gets cold. Mine is a fancy type with a timer. I have it kick in about 30 minutes before  the time I usually get home and I turn it  off when I'm home for 45 minutes to an hour. my electric bills last year were between 75K and 100K a month.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »
So what temperatures should my heater be set to? There's a setting for room temperature, water temperature, ondol temperature, etc.

• dankwelp
  • Adventurer

• April 23, 2013, 06:18:04 pm
    • Yeongam
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 08:05:32 am »

What's up with this "heating comes on at ~pm and shuts off at ~am" jive??? Do you have no control over your own apartment? I know my friend in China has a place like that for the heat, but he controls the electricity.

Strangee

I have an apartment set up like this, and the reason is quite simple. The electric company will give you an even lower rate if you only run your electric ondol or water heater during those hours.  Everything in my apartment is electric, and I have a separate meter just for the ondol and water heater.  With a small 1000w space heater and running the ondol from 11pm-7am I'm toasty warm all winter for at most 65,000 won a month with both bills combined. In summer when it's only my water heater on the one bill the service charges are more than the actual charges for electricity. In the last 18 months I've only run out of hot water 5 or 6 times.

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 06:45:40 am »
The older apartments not only look Soviet complexes but are actually managed like them too. Turn on the heat the same and everyone must be the exact same.  Thankfuly new building have individual heating. 

When it's cold, turn on your heat.  When, it's hot, turn on your air con. 

I'm pretty tough when it comes to the cold, except for when it's a damp cold.  I woke up this morning and felt a bit cold because of it being a foggy dampness, when I normally wouldn't this time of year.  Had it of seemed that way last night, I would have turned on the ondol for an hour and then shut it down.