Read 5488 times

The short version

How much would it cost to run a space heater for one hour per day?

The longer version

My apartment is one where the heating (once activated) turns on at 10pm and turns off automatically at 8am. 

This Winter I'm considering giving the place a little 'heat boost' by running a small space heater for an hour. I will probably switch it on around 6pm.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

• jamonamagnet
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2015, 10:09:26 am
    more
Re: How much would it cost to run a space heater for one hour per day?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:11 pm »
What is the wattage of the heater?

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:53:16 pm »
Next to nothing. Run the heater, electricity is not expensive.

Personally, I've never understood folks being cold just to save a couple of Won.

The most expensive months I have ever had here my electricity bill has been in the 70 - 80,000 Won range for one month. That was in the blistering humid summer with my air-con blasting all the time and I live in a 1 bedroom place.
Hail Caesar

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »
How big is your apartment? I had this heating issue before I decided to just move to another apartment. My old place was quite big compared to some of the apartments my friends have so I had to have a decent sized heater. Does your place get warm enough over night when the heater is on? Will 1 hour heat the place up and keep it that way until the heat comes on? Just keep it running it. It wont cost you that much.  I personally think its worth the comfort to spend a little money.

• Julia6145
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2014, 05:39:20 am
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:11:51 pm »
I wonder the same thing. I was paying a whopping 500,000 won a month last year during the coldest months using my ondol. I even asked my landlord about the space heater I recently brought home... he took one look at the wattage and  then pointed at the lights (electricity) and said, "No, no, no, double" as though it was a bad plan. But even so, doubling my electricity bill can't be worse than what I was paying..... I hope. I don't plan on using my ondol much.

It kills me a little bit to see people talk about 70~80,000 won utility bills. Fingers crossed.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:57:03 pm »
What is the wattage of the heater?

I haven't purchased the space heater yet.   Should I go for a low wattage heater?

I have read some horror stories about massive electricity bills on this forum.  Some of them seem ridiculous.  One person above mentions a 500 000 won per month bill.  I think my highest winter heating bill would have been no more than 60 000 won per month.  It might have been less.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:02:02 pm »
How big is your apartment? I had this heating issue before I decided to just move to another apartment. My old place was quite big compared to some of the apartments my friends have so I had to have a decent sized heater. Does your place get warm enough over night when the heater is on? Will 1 hour heat the place up and keep it that way until the heat comes on? Just keep it running it. It wont cost you that much.  I personally think its worth the comfort to spend a little money.

I think my apartment size would be about average.

Yes, my apartment gets warm enough when the heating comes on at 10pm.   I'm hoping a one hour blast from a space heater (with the doors all closed) will generate enough warmth to keep the temperature pleasant until the heating comes on at 10pm.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »
I wonder the same thing. I was paying a whopping 500,000 won a month last year during the coldest months using my ondol. I even asked my landlord about the space heater I recently brought home... he took one look at the wattage and  then pointed at the lights (electricity) and said, "No, no, no, double" as though it was a bad plan. But even so, doubling my electricity bill can't be worse than what I was paying..... I hope. I don't plan on using my ondol much.

It kills me a little bit to see people talk about 70~80,000 won utility bills. Fingers crossed.

I have a very spacious 2 bedroom apartment that I heat in winter for less than 100,000 a month :lipsrsealed:  I'm on the 13th floor (out of 15) and have neighbors on either side.  One side of my apartment is all glass, but there are the doors out to my veranda and then the doors that open outside, and my bedroom wall that's shared with the veranda has two wets of windows for insulation.  I basically turn on my heat when I get home at 5PM and off at 10PM, otherwise it's way too hot.  Everyone's heat essentially rises into my apartment  :huh:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 05:07:42 pm »

I live in a 3 bedroom apartment. Absolute maximum we pay is 150,000. My wife runs the ondol whenever she is home throughout the winter. She's Korean and you know how they feel the cold. Average in winter would be 90,000.
No one living in an apartment should be paying anywhere near 500,000. I smell a rort.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:32 pm »
500,000 a month is absolute insanity. my electricity bills have never even made it past 50,000, even in the summer when i ran the a/c all night long every day! I think the highest I've ever had is 40,000 for August and i live in a 1 bed place

• Julia6145
  • Adventurer

• USA
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 10:18:51 pm »
My officetel is large for a one bedroom.... but definitely, 500,000 won is ridiculous.
Granted part of that is the 50,000 community electric fee and the fact that I use my dryer really often.

The apartment owner came to visit once or twice last winter to demonstrate to keep my ondol at 18-20 degrees at all time and turn it down when I go out to cut the costs. Co-teacher's advice was just to get a heating pad... but then I would never leave my bed and I want my son to be comfortable. There's really no insulation in this place. Even with the ondol blasting(?) at 23 degrees, it was still cold unless I left it at that temperature for a loooooong time.

Sitting in front of my electric heater as I type this. No cares.

And the weird part is.... my officetel is home to an electric company (ICEPCO) downstairs.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 10:46:34 pm »
Just to make it clear, ondol is not part of your electricity. It's gas heated. Or it is at every place I've ever been. You probably know that, just making sure.

Summer, people tend to have a higher electricity bill as A/C is used a lot and that uses electricity, whereas gas is barely used at all beyond hot water and cooking.
I used A/C whenever I was home including ALL night, for pretty much mid-July through the end of September. Electricity bill has been 160,000 at it's highest. We live in a big apartment. Gas for the same period was like 10,000.

Winter it's the opposite (for most). We only heat using the ondol. I don't mind the cold, but my wife insists on having it up around 25-26 especially when we go to bed. Maximum gas bill is 150,000, but usually more like 90,000-100,000. Electricity is like 20-30,000 during winter.

I have heard similar stories to yours, where there is some weird set up, like all the tenants divide the bill and so even if you use some piddling amount you still get pinged with a large bill... But never 500,000. That is highway robbery and it's really not cool that you are having to restrict usage of heating when you have a child.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 11:59:47 pm »

I would wonder if the landlord is not somehow tapped into your gas line.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 06:13:28 am »
To put it in perspective. I run my air con every day from the moment I get home till I leave in the morning during the summer. The most expensive it got was 36K won for a month.

Try to make sure that if you have more than one room to keep the door closed so that It heats only the room you're in.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 07:29:48 am »
Running a heater depends entirely on the wattage. If your heater is 1000w (an average amount for a medium sized heater), it is running at 1kw/hr. For 2 hours a day this is going to be around 60 kw/hrs a month. That is around half of the first tier. 1 kr/hr in the first tier is quite cheap, it will cost you less than a dollar a day to run it for 2 hours. Read a few guides on making your place more energy efficient and that should be good.

Unless you live in a family sized apartment (or have abnormal heating requirements) running your aircon or heater all the time is going to add around 30-100$ a month.

Just to make it clear, ondol is not part of your electricity. It's gas heated. Or it is at every place I've ever been. You probably know that, just making sure.
Some of the ondol, especially in very small places is actually electric.

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 08:04:23 am »
Running a heater depends entirely on the wattage. If your heater is 1000w (an average amount for a medium sized heater), it is running at 1kw/hr. For 2 hours a day this is going to be around 60 kw/hrs a month. That is around half of the first tier. 1 kr/hr in the first tier is quite cheap, it will cost you less than a dollar a day to run it for 2 hours. Read a few guides on making your place more energy efficient and that should be good.

Unless you live in a family sized apartment (or have abnormal heating requirements) running your aircon or heater all the time is going to add around 30-100$ a month.

Some of the ondol, especially in very small places is actually electric.

Thank you.  This response is quite helpful.

Marshie.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »
Sounds like some of you live in pretty old place.  Old buildings were shiite here in Korea.  They were built cheaply and designed to force people to spend a lot later on.  No insulation and old utilies serve to make for a high bill if you run it all the time.  I've also ehard oil is even worse here which some folks use in the countryside.  As for the apt heat not turning on until 10 pm, that's pretty Communist.  Newer apartments and villas are insulated, you control your own heat and it's your bill.  I turn my gas off through the day because it's not so cold here that the pipes will freeze except maybe for a few days in January when I might leave the heat on in a low setting.  I turn it on for an hour in the early evening and turn it off again.  Then, I turn it on faintly around 10 or 11ish and leave it on till about 7 or 8 am.  I usually keep it at 18 to 20 degrees as I don't need much heat.  But, it prob will be another month or so before I turn mine on.  Sometimes in late Nov, I might turn it on for an hous or so mid evening and then shut it back off.  It's not so cold here that you ned to be smothered with heat anyhow.  Walk into some Koreans homes in winter and you almost gag with the heat!

Anyways, a fan heater is prob what you need.  When I lived in an old dumpy building the gas system was expensive, inefficient, and didn't heat well.  So, I bought a fan heater at high mart and it blew warm air into my room.  My electric bill shot up but my gas bill came way way down.  Plus I was more comfortable using this than the gas.  Let's say in winter you turn it on at 6 pm and turned it off at 8 pm, the bill wouldn't be much.  Also during the winter if you're home more.  If you're lucky enough to have a school that let's you go home early, you can always use it a bit in the afternoon for an hour too. 

I've ehard from some foreigners that their schools aren't ehated but they stillhave to go and sit there.  Really dumb if you askme.  Certaintly nothing I do.  Anyways, you can also buy a small space heater (the warming lamp style) and keep that on your desk at school if need be. 

Fan heater.  Works very well.  http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=329195441

Not sure why G Market calls these fan heaters.  They blow no air.  These don't heat the room only the space your in front of.  Use these for school if they give you no heat in winter and tellthem to go piss in the wind if they give you crap about it.  It doesn't drive up a bill much anyways.  http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=405418559

• Julia6145
  • Adventurer

• USA
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 02:17:39 pm »
I don't think there's anything fishy going on in my apartment complex. They straight up told me my bill is very high. This week, the owner ran some kind of cable from my bathroom to under my sink, plugging it to a control for the ondol (?) to check it... said it was so-so / okay.

Even without using my heat or air conditioning though, September's bill was 170~180,000 won. I've mostly accepted my fate. I don't really restrict my utility usage, using the dryer and shower and heating and cooling systems to whatever is comfortable. Nothing unreasonable except perhaps the dryer (1.5 hours maximum 3x a week.... would seem normal in the US to me.), but I consider it almost necessary with the amount of laundry a four year old boy creates.

Anyway, sorry that doesn't really contribute much to the OP's question.
My electric heater is 1500 Watts, which I now realize is probably why the guy told me not to use it. It was pretty cheap from Emart but it's really powerful. Probably worth a check before you buy.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 08:47:11 pm »
I don't think there's anything fishy going on in my apartment complex. They straight up told me my bill is very high. This week, the owner ran some kind of cable from my bathroom to under my sink, plugging it to a control for the ondol (?) to check it... said it was so-so / okay.

Even without using my heat or air conditioning though, September's bill was 170~180,000 won. I've mostly accepted my fate. I don't really restrict my utility usage, using the dryer and shower and heating and cooling systems to whatever is comfortable. Nothing unreasonable except perhaps the dryer (1.5 hours maximum 3x a week.... would seem normal in the US to me.), but I consider it almost necessary with the amount of laundry a four year old boy creates.

Anyway, sorry that doesn't really contribute much to the OP's question.
My electric heater is 1500 Watts, which I now realize is probably why the guy told me not to use it. It was pretty cheap from Emart but it's really powerful. Probably worth a check before you buy.

That is way too high!

You're probably paying for your neighbour's electricity too

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 08:27:11 am »

How much would it cost to run a space heater for one hour per day?

Depends on the price of power (I recall there are different pricing tiers depending on your usage) and how powerful the heater is. The formula for calculating it is.

Heater Power * Time * Power Cost

where
Heater Power = Kilowatts (Watts/1000)
Time = Hours
Power Cost = Won per kilowatt hour (this will be on your bill)