Read 10099 times

Is this the worst autumn ever?
« on: October 17, 2015, 07:26:12 pm »
I think this is the year without an autumn.  October is usually a great month for weather.  It's warm, dry and has clear blue skies with white puffy clouds.  But, this whitish foggy polluted haze all through the sky and not being able to see the mountains is ridiculous.  Even with 25 degrees, it feels a bit humid in the afternoons and when it goes down to 13 or 14 degrees later at night, the humidity turns to a damp cold.  (I can handle those temps when they're dry and not feel cold at all.) 

Anyways, if this is your first year in Korea and I told you before that Autumn in Korea is nice, my apologies.  This year is puking weird!  Normally a great time to get outdoors after suffering through an icky summer.  Sometimes, it get's damp and foggy in winter here like the last few days except with colder temps (right Space?).  Other times it's dry.  Well, I only hope this means winter will be clearer and drier than usual. 

The climate here really does suck @$$ most of the year here.  I mean it's really really cold in Canada in winter, but at least you can see clear blue skies and see the sun shine brightly most days. 

Re: Is this the worst autumn ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:59:33 pm »
been a bit weird i suppose, but today was actually a beautiful fall day in seoul

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 09:34:12 pm »
It's BLUE skies here on Jeju Island where I've taught since mid-fall of '09. Yeah, one year (just one)( in South Gyeongsang province betweern '02-'09) it was hazy. EVERY single other month wasn't until mid-November.

My fav two months in SK have consistently been May and October. This year has been no different.

The weather forecast for Seogwipo City on jeju Island is: 24 C tomorrow afternoon, 16 C tomorrow night and likewise for the next week.

As for air pollution it's 43 for ozone (the three-oxygen molecule), which is below the WHO standard maximum of 50 and below ANY month's average for Seoul (sorry guys if you live there).

The fact that Beijing's average is over 100 oughta feel good (or, not so bad).

Remember, if you eat cooked meat you get one oxygen molecule (O1 - free radical - bad - because it seeks to bind with others and causes bodily harm), if you breathe three-atom molecules (O3 - ozone - BAD for your lungs).

But, if you breathe the garbage byproduct of plant photosynthesis O2, then breathe deep because that is exactly what your body needs!

Most of my students know the science of this. One great thing about working at a city's great/expensive/high standard academy since '09 is having a crop of well-educated students one can teach real subjects to (not just basic forms of the past, present and future tenses).

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:39:47 pm »
Korea's seasons suck lol. If ya want real seasons you gotta go to Canada or Europe, better architecture and food too lol

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 09:53:50 pm »
I agree with VanIslander.  I'm in Jeonnam and the weather has been fantastic lately.  A touch foggy some mornings, but that's characteristic of my area because of the mountains.  It dissipates by 10AM anyway.  It's been 20-25 here during the day; clear and sunny with a light breeze.  Summer also isn't the worst thing I've ever experienced, and I don't have AC in my apartment.  Spring is gorgeous (I'm from the American Midwest where we go from winter to shitty slush to summer), and winter is much more mild.  I love escaping to SEA during my winter vacation, but I could never stay there year-round. Too hot and humid.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 10:43:56 pm »
Seems like the last two years it was really cold by mid-October, but it's still really nice and warm. This summer was oddly cool too.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:16 pm »
weird time to start this thread, this weekend was beyond lovely and the 10-day forecast augurs nothing but the same

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/KSXX0037:1:KS

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:28:25 am »
I wish the seasons here were distincter.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:08 am »
weird time to start this thread, this weekend was beyond lovely and the 10-day forecast augurs nothing but the same

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/KSXX0037:1:KS

Must be different where you are.  It was whitish haze and fog / smog where I was.  I couldn't see the mountains all day and the sun shining through it was less bright.  Even the drive to work this morning whitish fog / haze everywhere.  Can't see any blue sky nor can I see the mountains.  October is sually the one time of year that the weather is actualy clear with blue skies and white puffy clouds everywhere.  Not so this year.  Also it gives a damp feeling later at night.  I usually don't feel cold at 14 degrees or so, but when it's damp, boy, it just chills intoyour bones.  A dry 14 degrees no prob.  Nice and refreshing. 

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 07:55:28 am »
My biggest complaint would be the allergies this year.  This is my 4th fall in Korea.  The pollen this year has been horrible! 

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:07:46 am »
It's been like pea soup every morning for weeks where I live. Makes it a struggle getting out of bed in the morning.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:57:30 am »
My biggest complaint would be the allergies this year.  This is my 4th fall in Korea.  The pollen this year has been horrible!

You're right about that.  The fog/smog traps dust, pollutants, pollen, etc in the air.  I'm usually ok to go out and bike in summer as long as I don't work the lungs too heavily.  If I bike up a mountain during this time, my body gets a bad allergic reaction for a couple of weeks afterwards.  High humidity and also a high dew point.  But, during the rest of the eyar when it's more dry, I can bike up mountains and exert myself with no problems.  There's usually only a couple of weeks in March and in November when I'm otehrwise prone to allergies if I cycel a lot and breath deep into my lungs.  But, this year is really messed up. 

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:05:56 am »
@__@ in Gyeongnam the seasons seemed to be very distinct, beautiful crisp falls and spring with the aroma of flowers so sweet it makes my stomach turn. Year round the weather was pretty awesome. My hometown actually only has two seasons, not what many people are referring to in Korea's case. Although now I'm in Jeollanam-do and I'm not so fond of the weather here.

Guess that's why some waygooks don't seem to mind the weather and why the Koreans talk about 4 seasons so much.  There are 4 seasons where I'm from, but winters are longer and summers are shorter of course.  Spring get s bit rainy and late fall gets some high cloud in the sky for a period.  But, otherwise, most of the year is bright sunshine and clear blue skies.  Autumn is usually a temporary repreieve from the dull skies that prevail here, but this year has had them few and far in between. 

I only hope this means winter will be colder than usual if it's actually clear weather.  When it's a warmer winter here, it tends to mean more gloomy skies and even fog and pollution from China.  A really cold day here means clear blue skies and crisp clean air.  I'll take it. 

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:23:08 am »
@__@ in Gyeongnam the seasons seemed to be very distinct, beautiful crisp falls and spring with the aroma of flowers so sweet it makes my stomach turn. Year round the weather was pretty awesome. My hometown actually only has two seasons, not what many people are referring to in Korea's case. Although now I'm in Jeollanam-do and I'm not so fond of the weather here.

:huh: Really?!  I think the weather has been great!  What area of Jeonnam are you in (if that's not too personal of a question to ask), because I'm in Boseong and every day has been gorgeous lately.  We had a bit of lingering rain from the monsoon season, but outside of the morning fog (which is characteristic of this area and why the green tea grows so well) it's been clear skies and sunny.  The fog burns off by 10 or 11AM and it's been averaging a comfortable 20-23C.  I know the weather can vary a lot here though, especially along the coasts.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 11:13:55 am »
It's been really nice around where I live lately. Middle of Korea. I'm really loving the nice breezes we're getting these days.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 11:52:03 am »

:huh: Really?!  I think the weather has been great!  What area of Jeonnam are you in (if that's not too personal of a question to ask), because I'm in Boseong and every day has been gorgeous lately.  We had a bit of lingering rain from the monsoon season, but outside of the morning fog (which is characteristic of this area and why the green tea grows so well) it's been clear skies and sunny.  The fog burns off by 10 or 11AM and it's been averaging a comfortable 20-23C.  I know the weather can vary a lot here though, especially along the coasts.

The weather here in Yeosu has been beautiful too! Sunshine, clear skies, cool at night. Perfect! I wish it would stay like this all year round

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 12:01:28 pm »
Yeah, I've got to agree with some of the other posters here. I'm in Seongnam and I was thinking that this has been the best Autumn in ages. The last few years went straight from summer to winter in less than a month. It's been nice to have some milder weather where I'm not sweating bullets or freezing balls.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 12:23:52 pm »
Bejeezus!

All you ever talk about is weather and money, Weig74. And you're often wrong on both accounts.  :wink:

The autumn is fine. Maybe it's been warmer for longer, but it's damn better than the usual 'sweaty ball sack long summer - 1 month of autumn - freeze your arse off long winter'.

Enjoy it. Or don't.... It doesn't actually really matter.

Anything else, perhaps more interesting, to talk about? Or are we going to hear about the 'moist winters' next? I jest, I jest. You know I love you really.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »
The Maritimes employment situation.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• DLJL
  • Super Waygook

• July 26, 2015, 08:33:30 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 03:31:29 pm »
To be honest wherever this Autumn ranks on the Korean scale it's still got to be better than the season changes in England which basically amount to someone flipping a switch from "quite nice" to "shite" and leaving it that way until next July 14th-21st.