Read 1310 times

• BradwMD
  • Newgookin

• November 29, 2011, 02:33:59 am
    • United States
Graduate School Applications - Parents Information
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:54 am »
I'm planning to eventually within the year drop teaching and attend one of the GSIS programs as well as apply for the Korean Government Scholarship. However, from looking at the applications (for both the scholarship and the graduate schools themselves) I noticed that in order to be considered for International Student admissions you have to prove that your parents are not Korean citizens through some means such as their passport pages or birth certificate.

However, unfortunately I never had the best relationship with my parents growing up, and for my own mental health I ceased contact with them ever since I graduated university.  I know that if I were to contact them again to ask for some documents they would just tell me to 'figure it out yourself and f**k off" basically. Therefore it would be impossible for me to show some sort of official proof that they are looking for...

Am I basically just shit out of luck in my situation? It seems like Korean gov't really likes to assume everyone just has a tight knit relationship with ones parents (since thats the way Korean culture is anyways) but..does anyone here have any experience with graduate school in Korea and know if you can bypass showing parents proof of citizenship? Or if there is a way to do it without personally involving your parents?

Re: Graduate School Applications - Parents Information
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:19:50 am »
Am I basically just shit out of luck in my situation? It seems like Korean gov't really likes to assume everyone just has a tight knit relationship with ones parents (since thats the way Korean culture is anyways) but..does anyone here have any experience with graduate school in Korea and know if you can bypass showing parents proof of citizenship? Or if there is a way to do it without personally involving your parents?
Most likely, it's a requirement based on quotas of how many students they're allowed that are/aren't of Korean descent into a program for people not from here.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:09 pm »
what nationality are you? perhaps you could get your parents' birth certificates through your government if you explain your situation.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:23 pm »
For my English passport I paid something like 15 bucks to a third-party to get the index number (or record number) for my Dad's birth certificate which I could then use to get a new one from the government. All from Australia online... so don't give up- there might be ways to get those records without your parents being involved
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase