Read 943 times

• fourthchild
  • Veteran

• March 07, 2012, 01:23:38 pm
    • Hwacheon, Gangwondo, South Korea
Gluten free products in Korea
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:37:28 pm »
I've recently had to cut gluten from my diet due to sickness.

Has anyone found gluten free products such as gluten-free bread or beer here in Korea?

Thanks.

• Lawrence
  • Super Waygook

• March 06, 2013, 10:59:23 am
    • South Korea
Re: Gluten free products in Korea
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 03:04:43 pm »
Yes, I'm gluten free and I have built up somewhat of a tolerance for a small amount of gluten in the 2 years and 8 months that I've lived here. For a cereal I eat Kellogg's 통곡물 현미. It says 글루텐 free on it and the word before "free" is gluten. It is a brown rice cereal. It is 590 grams. In my local Homeplus it is 8,100 won. Look for the words 밀, 밀가루, and 보리. They mean "wheat, wheat flour, and barley on ingredient lists. Malt is 엿기름. I would suggest eating Kimchi and yogurt once or twice a day to build up your stomach. Any fermented foods should be good but check the ingredients. I can't say everything now but feel free to send a message. Best of luck and sorry to here this terrible news.

Re: Gluten free products in Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:30:07 pm »
I think Korean bread is awful compared to our western counterparts and they put sugar in more things here.  Gluten free if you're accustomed to certain things may be harder to get here.  Unless you want to buy an oven and do your own baking ordering from I herb and the like.  There are natural food stores, but they prob won't have what you're looking for overall.