Read 1146 times

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
Middle School Reading Class Materials?
« on: November 13, 2020, 07:26:06 am »
I've been asked to teach a reading after-school class to students in 1st and 2nd grade (middle school) who want to go to foreign language high schools. I don't know exact language skill levels, but I assume they would be somewhat higher.

Any suggestions for materials? I've never taught reading before.

I do have "True Stories in the News" and "More True Stories" from when I did a teacher's discussion group. If anyone's used those successfully with middle schoolers or thereabouts, that'd be good to know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:54:39 am by shostager »

Re: Middle School Reading Class Materials?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:16:02 am »
Hey there, so for about 1/2 the school year my co-ts and I split one of our grades into 3 classes based on their English levels. I taught the higher level students and we read the book Wonder.  If you can get your school to buy the book it's a really good read, especially for teens.

I made comprehension questions, vocab quizzes and some worksheets for each chapter (each chapter is 2-3 pages long so you don't have to do too much). 
When we started, I had each kid read a paragraph and then explain what they understood from what they read but towards the end they were reading a page each.
I also did three, 15 minute 1:1 reading sessions with each student where I picked a page for them to read and then went over whatever reading issues they were having (reading too fast, awkward pauses, intonation etc).
Because the classes were all online I'd also have them read a page or so at home alone and send it to me through a voice note.
And obviously, bomb games for review

Honestly, i've been at my school for 3 years and this reading class was probably the most  enjoyable class I've had. Good Luck