Read 4341 times

Re: Gas or electric heater
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 10:42:50 pm »
That's astounding.  I have never even entered the second tier of electricity pricing, even when I was renting a family-sized apartment.  I had the underfloor heating (gas), but turned off for the rooms I wasn't using, and a radiant electric heater for local heating in the lounge.

I am expecting that my current place will also be quite warm in winter as it's new, well insulated, and a little smaller.

If your apartment is too cold, maybe because it's too old, it would be cheaper to move to a new one.

I can not believe you had an $800 electric bill.  Even with the tiered pricing you'd have to have a 3kW electric heater on 16 hours per day every day for a whole month.  That would make a room extremely hot, and it doesn't account for you being out of the apartment (working, eating out, shopping, visiting friends etc.), or that you were using gas too.

read for yourself. i remember this thread well, because it's the thread that convinced me to never buy a space heater in korea and instead use the ondol sparingly combined with other heat saving methods: http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,71431.0.html

and you can see someone else on PAge 2 of that thread commented about getting a 600k electricity bill from a space heater the first month they arrived.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 07:55:49 am »
I'm looking forward to the thread in a couple of months where some plonker gets a bill for w1,000,000 cos they used a space heater during winter.

Seriously, just use the ondol floor every now and then or put some more clothes on.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 08:08:12 am »
I don't have to worry about buying refils.
Paying an exorbitant electricity bill is the trade off. Is making a phone call to someone that will come drop it off at your house and even attach it for free really a worry? Anyway, I really doubt your electricity bill can be less than W32 000 a month in mid-winter. Unless you are using it like a pauper would. I know mine was in excess of W150 000 a month before I got the gas heater. Not trying to say my choice is better. Just giving readers my perspective.
I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning.
I don't worry about carbon monoxide poisoning either because I have a brain. I said from the start leave a window slightly open and don't leave it on while you sleep. As long as you are aware of that, there is no danger. Now that really is not a big deal, is it? Presumably you will heat the room before you go to bed and you wont need additional heat when you are cozy in bed. Some gas heaters have  timers in any case.

Sorry to cast doubts on your choice of heaters but everything I've said here is fact.
No doubts. I'm just here to offer some advice since I have both, a gas heater and an electric heater. The gas heater saved me a lot of money and provided me with better warmth than I got from my electric heater. I'm not looking to start an argument on the issue. Clearly some people will benefit from an electric heater. I did when my school was paying my electricity bill. But now that i'm in a large house, a gas heater is by far the best option for me. You can go your own way. Doesn't bother me, not one iota.

I like how you break down only the one you want to talk about.

1)yes, my electric bill was only that much. I put bubble wrap on the windows and I hung a curtain over the door. Heat conservation goes a long way. None of this wasteful opening windows. It's not being cheap. I simply didn't need as much constant output as the heat stayed in the room. Didn't even need to wear bulky clothing.

2) There is no danger? There IS danger. Gas heating sources are A LOT more dangerous. That is a fact you can't butter up.

3) The doubt is still there. We live in one rooms, for the main. There is no need for gas heaters. It's dangerous and wasteful.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:05 am »
Ok, I read the other thread, and the reported cost was W558,000, which is about $480 now (and would have been less at the time because the Won was stronger) not $800 as reported here.

An (additional) electric heater is still better than an (additional) gas heater because of fumes, fuel, and safety.  However, using the ondol is probably better, if you have it set up properly.

Waygooks are such cheapskates.  They complain about high electric costs in summer because of the a/c and high gas costs in the winter because of the ondol.  It's the same cost for everyone here, and it's way cheaper than back home.  Spend the money and be comfortable.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:22:31 am »
it's way cheaper than back home.

That is an untrue statement.  Utility rates in the ROK are much higher than the US.

Where are you from?  What is the cost per kWh back home, 12~17 cents?

In Korea, Tier 1 (your first 100 kWh) basic fee is 400 KRW + 59.1 KRW per kWh
Tier 6 (when you are over 500 kWh) basic fee is 12,600 + 690.8 KRW per kWh!!!

That is an 11.7 times difference between tier 1 and tier 6 and 4~5 times more expensive than back home.

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:40 am »
For tier 1 it's currently 60.7 Won per kWh, which is about 6 US cents.  I rarely (if ever) exceed tier one.

Tier 2 is 125.9 Won per kWh, which is about 11 US cents.  Remember, this rate is charged on the amount used over 100kWh.

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 09:46:49 am »
Ok, I read the other thread, and the reported cost was W558,000, which is about $480 now (and would have been less at the time because the Won was stronger) not $800 as reported here.

An (additional) electric heater is still better than an (additional) gas heater because of fumes, fuel, and safety.  However, using the ondol is probably better, if you have it set up properly.

Waygooks are such cheapskates.  They complain about high electric costs in summer because of the a/c and high gas costs in the winter because of the ondol.  It's the same cost for everyone here, and it's way cheaper than back home.  Spend the money and be comfortable.

i think the guy said in this thread that he received another bill for $400 the next month too. so $800 total over 2 months.

but yeah i agree, some people really are cheapskates. it actually pisses me off if i go visit friends in the winter, and they're these people who refuse to turn on the ondol because "it's so expensive!"

i mean come on, you've got 2-3 guests over and you don't want to turn on your damn heating so you guests can be comfortable? if you're gas bill is around 100-150k per month in the winter it costs something like less than 5,000 Won per day to run your ondol. can you not just suck it up for one night for the comfort of your guests?

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:19 am »
That is insane!

You live like a Nigerian in only using such little energy.  The average Mexican uses 449 kWh per month.  A Chinese person averages 433.

We are a household of two with four "children", and our usage is tier 4 or higher, unless we are away on holiday.

Your bill is cheaper than back home, but to be clear, energy is 4~5 times more expensive in Korea.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:57 am »
I'm looking forward to the thread in a couple of months where some plonker gets a bill for w1,000,000 cos they used a space heater during winter.

Seriously, just use the ondol floor every now and then or put some more clothes on.

Honestly, if you're living in a oneroom, using it minimally, and being smart with heat conservation, there's no reason why you'll get plonked on a higher tier. In saying that, however, I think I'm lucky as I seem to live in a building that's been built to code. And I really push to conserve as much heat as I can. I think if you live in a old shitty villa, or a building exposed to more outside wall, or just simply having the need to blast the space heater 24/7, then just pay the higher ondol cost, for sure.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 10:53:39 am »
That is insane!

You live like a Nigerian in only using such little energy.  The average Mexican uses 449 kWh per month.  A Chinese person averages 433.

We are a household of two with four "children", and our usage is tier 4 or higher, unless we are away on holiday.

Your bill is cheaper than back home, but to be clear, energy is 4~5 times more expensive in Korea.

Huh?

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 11:52:32 am »
Why "huh?"

He said he uses less than 100 kWh per month.  Nigerians use 87 kWh per month on average.

1+1=?

He must have a very small refrigerator and launder his clothes without using the dryer, as to be below 100 per month, he isn't using much more than the lights.

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:23 pm »
I'll check September's bill tonight.  I have had the a/c on all night, every night.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »

i think the guy said in this thread that he received another bill for $400 the next month too. so $800 total over 2 months.

but yeah i agree, some people really are cheapskates. it actually pisses me off if i go visit friends in the winter, and they're these people who refuse to turn on the ondol because "it's so expensive!"

i mean come on, you've got 2-3 guests over and you don't want to turn on your damn heating so you guests can be comfortable? if you're gas bill is around 100-150k per month in the winter it costs something like less than 5,000 Won per day to run your ondol. can you not just suck it up for one night for the comfort of your guests?

+1 on this.

I knew foreigners here who lived in an igloo all winter because they were too cheap to turn on the ondol.

I got lucky a bit. I have a 1 bedroom apartment and my furnace is oil. I took the 400K living allowance and my rent is 260K/month. So that's 140K per month in my pocket.

I keep my place toasty warm all winter because there's no way I come close to using up the extra money from my living allowance to spend it. I can sit around in my apartment all winter with shorts and a T-shirt on and at the end of the year I have still not spent the extra 1.68 million Won from my living allowance. (140,000 X 12 months)

I look at it as the school pays for my heat. I'm not so cheap to even consider thinking about saving that money. I'd rather be warm.
Hail Caesar

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 06:30:43 pm »
Why "huh?"

He said he uses less than 100 kWh per month.  Nigerians use 87 kWh per month on average.

1+1=?

He must have a very small refrigerator and launder his clothes without using the dryer, as to be below 100 per month, he isn't using much more than the lights.
All right.  September was about 150kWh and I was billed about $17. August was about 240kWh and I was billed $35. That's with the a/c on all night, every night at 19C.  April and May were about 80kWh each (no a/c), and I expect October to be less than 100kWh.  Actually, now winter is approaching I expect my electric bills to be quite small, but my gas bills will ramp up due to ondol heating. My gas bill for August was $12, so that's a baseline because it represents hot water for showers and washing up and the gas range for cooking.

I don't have a dryer.  All my lights are LED lights.

• Tyedude
  • Veteran

• August 01, 2013, 11:31:04 pm
    • Gimhae, South Korea
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:02 pm »

Thats my bill and the following month was $800 (I get my bill 40 days after the cycle ends so by that time I received the fist bill there is another month coming that I was not aware of.  I didn't post about it.  If you don't want to believe me then thats your deal. 

• Tyedude
  • Veteran

• August 01, 2013, 11:31:04 pm
    • Gimhae, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 01:38:32 pm »
and when i say $ it means 1,000 won.  So don't worry about the exchange rate.  I don't think it makes me cheap to want to avoid paying between 400 and 800 thousand won (ya happy?) in heating.  Utilities are not cheaper than in America, whoever said that doesn't know how to read their bill.  Most people live alone in a small one room so they think it is cheaper.  bottom line is... THE TIERS WILL GET YOU IF YOU AREN"T CAREFUL, trust me I know.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:35:27 am by Tyedude »