Read 2257 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Korean online banking.
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:07 am »
I know this subject has been done to death but I have to rant to blow off some steam. As you are aware I am no longer in the land of milk and kimchi but I have two Korean bank accounts still as I teach some Koreans online and they pay me through those accounts.

Anyhoo.... every month I go online to check if they have paid me and it is usually a traumatic experience for me as just logging on and downloading 5 or 6 security programs each time causes my blood pressure to elevate somewhat.  I have a Mac which cuts me out of 99% of Korean websites, you know evil Apple is trying to colonise Korea, but I have a Windows laptop as a plan B. KEB is supposed to be Apple friendly, well it was briefly, but no more as one of the billion security programs you have to install to avoid some drunk ajosshi stealing your hard earned money, no longer is compatible with a Mac.

So, head over to the old Windows laptop, fire it up and low and behold you have to download the 5 or 6 security programs AGAIN, even though you did it last month. Deep breath, have a cup of coffee while the laptop grinds through endless downloads. Come back, one download has failed and frozen my laptop. Wailing and gnashing of teeth. Restart the laptop, try to logon and guess what, it starts downloading all 5 again.   :evil:

To cut a longer story even shorter after 1 hour and 55 minutes I manage to get onto the log in page and I put in the necessary which I have been using for almost 7 years now, message pops up..... wrong password. More wailing and gnashing of teeth, enter the password again, double, no triple checking that there is no typo..... wrong password. >:( >:(

By this is time all my fond memories of Korea have disappeared in a cloud of rage and depression.

Turn off the old laptop, head over to my mates house and try the whole process there again, wash, rinse, repeat. Wrong password. Second attempt I tap the caps lock on and off 50x to make sure it is not on, enter the password and lo and behold it allows me to log on.

Anyway, now I know how to beat the system, tap the caps lock key many times before entering your password.

It just blows my mind that a country with the supposed level of technology that Korea has, cannot (or will not) simplify their internet banking. Here in the Philippines which on a good day is 3rd world as far as internet and technology is concerned, internet banking is a breeze. Whilst wailing and gnashing my teeth yesterday, I did some internet banking for South Africa. Total time taken for logging on, doing transfers and logging out...... 30 seconds. Compare that to the 3 hours plus that I spent trying just to check my balance in my Korean accounts.

Oh Korea.

End of rant. Feel better now and I am going to snorkel at a pristine beach and in crystal clear water with no one telling me that the sea is closed because it is not summer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:47:50 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
Re: Korean online banking.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:43:14 am »
The walk to the branch is shorter than the electronic maze for me.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:21 pm »
The walk to the branch is shorter than the electronic maze for me.

Except for me it isn't a walk to the branch, it is a four hour flight plus airfare.   :P

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:42:25 am »
I'm not sure if you still have an iPhone or not, but the new KEB-Hana app is slightly better than the old KEB app. I only use it to check my balance and transactions, but it's simple and less invasive than using the computer.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:52:47 am »
On android they force you to download fuckin ahnlab v3 before they'll let you start the keb app.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:31:05 am »
Just remember to be careful. When I logged on the other day it said that if I entered the password incorrectly three times, I would HAVE to visit a branch to reset it. Also, something to think about... I went to KEB the other day, and evidently there was a law passed for all banks that make it to where you must have a "reason" for opening an account. I even went there with my wife (Korean), and they said she couldn't open one either unless there was a monthly salary going in there, or if it was for some kind of housing loan. We told them that we wanted to open it to put extra cash in, and they said our reason wasn't good enough to open an account. Interesting times...

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:28 pm »
Just remember to be careful. When I logged on the other day it said that if I entered the password incorrectly three times, I would HAVE to visit a branch to reset it. Also, something to think about... I went to KEB the other day, and evidently there was a law passed for all banks that make it to where you must have a "reason" for opening an account. I even went there with my wife (Korean), and they said she couldn't open one either unless there was a monthly salary going in there, or if it was for some kind of housing loan. We told them that we wanted to open it to put extra cash in, and they said our reason wasn't good enough to open an account. Interesting times...

Boggles the mind.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »
I'm not sure if you still have an iPhone or not, but the new KEB-Hana app is slightly better than the old KEB app. I only use it to check my balance and transactions, but it's simple and less invasive than using the computer.

I have an iPhone and tried downloading it but it was all in Korean, perhaps I downloaded the wrong one. I will check again, thanks.

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:23:56 pm »

I have an iPhone and tried downloading it but it was all in Korean, perhaps I downloaded the wrong one. I will check again, thanks.

I just double-checked to make sure and it turns out there are two apps. One is KEB Hana Card and says "Smart Card Life" on the app. That one looks like it's totally in Korean. The other one I found by just searching KEB. Ironically it looks more Korean than the other app, but as soon as you open it, it asks for your language preference.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 08:27:01 am »
Also, something to think about... I went to KEB the other day, and evidently there was a law passed for all banks that make it to where you must have a "reason" for opening an account. I even went there with my wife (Korean), and they said she couldn't open one either unless there was a monthly salary going in there, or if it was for some kind of housing loan. We told them that we wanted to open it to put extra cash in, and they said our reason wasn't good enough to open an account. Interesting times...

Yeah, I opened a new bank account (at a different bank, not KEB) last spring, and the bank teller asked me why I wanted to open a new bank account with that bank. I was a little surprised she asked, since, in the past, I never got asked that before whenever I opened previous bank accounts in Korea in the past. Anyhow, I simply told her that I wanted to use this new bank account to transfer rent money to my landlord, and luckily she accepted my reason and I was able to open that new bank account.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:51:48 am »
The banking sector is under pressure here, so they likely don't want the overhead of unprofitable personal accounts.  It does seem that they don't really want your business.