Read 13939 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Cars parked on crosswalks.
« on: September 21, 2015, 11:26:34 am »
I will never be able to wrap my head around this phenomenon. What kind of person spots a crosswalk, intended as the designated safe crossing spot for pedestrians, and thinks "Awesome, a parking spot" and proceeds to park his car there.

What does this say about that particular person?

And given that this is a mass phenomenon here, what does it say about Koreans' values and social attitudes?

I just can't comprehend the mindset of people who engage in this activity.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
Re: Cars parked on crosswalks.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:38:18 am »

And given that this is a mass phenomenon here, what does it say about Koreans' values and social attitudes?

I think it says that there are not enough parking spots in this country. I have never seen an open spot an some Korean decide not to park in it so they could just park on the crosswalk. Going to find aholes anywhere but for the most part the parking on parts of the crosswalk are due to lack of spots. Not condoning the problem just saying that I think it has nothing to do with values or social attitudes and everything to do with space.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 11:41:11 am »
I have never seen an open spot an some Korean decide not to park in it so they could just park on the crosswalk.

I haven't seen them do that with crosswalks specifically, but I've definitely seen them park in imaginary spots when there are perfectly real spots nearby. It's a common occurrence to see people in the parking lot for my building just roll up and park at the end of a row, even though there's no designated spot there and there are open spots in the same row, if they'd have turned and driven fifteen feet.

Could just be the people in my lot, though, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:57:30 am by Mister Tim »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:56:29 am »
I will never be able to wrap my head around this phenomenon. What kind of person spots a crosswalk, intended as the designated safe crossing spot for pedestrians, and thinks "Awesome, a parking spot" and proceeds to park his car there.
I see your annoying social phenomenon and will raise you THIS: (car parked on the sidewalk directly between "no parking" pylons... and also blocking a zebra crossing).
Also, this is in front of a bank, so it's not a local shop owner or anything. Just a dude with a nice car being a total wanker...  >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:02:47 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:14:44 pm »
Oooh, I know.

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 12:48:40 pm »

I think it says that there are not enough parking spots in this country. I have never seen an open spot an some Korean decide not to park in it so they could just park on the crosswalk.

I have, hundreds of times. It's not a last resort decision as you're suggesting. It's often a no-brainer for them. I've seen a hundred times how they just drive up and park on the spot. It's often option number one, again when there's a spot twenty feet down the road.

To think this says nothing about Korean society is ridiculous.

I drove in Korea for two years. I never parked on a crosswalk. The very idea would never even enter my head.

Koreans, however, seem to have no such qualms.

And it's not an "over-crowded Seoul" thing, because the phenomenon is not restricted to Seoul. They do the exact same thing in smaller cities, towns and villages...where there are plenty of parking options. I live in a rural area, and the crosswalks are forever blocked by cars.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:53:28 pm by Horus »

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 12:59:37 pm »
I purposely bump into cars stopped at traffic lights that stop in the middle of the cross walk. Sometimes they see me coming and edge forwards or backwards. Other times they sit there behind their blacked out windows acting the hardman when I walk into their mass produced, nondescript, overpriced car.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:39 pm »
The "there's no parking" thing is a myth. There is parking but they don't want to pay for parking or park a slight distance away from where they're going and walk the 10 mins back. Laziness and rudeness, pure and simple.

• jomi
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2015, 02:07:46 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 01:26:06 pm »
I see your annoying social phenomenon and will raise you THIS: (car parked on the sidewalk directly between "no parking" pylons... and also blocking a zebra crossing).
Also, this is in front of a bank, so it's not a local shop owner or anything. Just a dude with a nice car being a total wanker...  >:( >:( >:( >:(

In my neck of the woods back home that is an invitation to key your car.

• outsider
  • Veteran

• July 03, 2014, 04:19:05 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 01:41:12 pm »
This is not America or Canada.  Driving over here is a different experience.  The laws are similar but what is considered acceptable is very different.  We have all had it drilled into our heads that we should only park in appropriate parking places or we will get towed or ticketed.  Not the case in Korea.  Due to a lack of space, traffic enforcement etc people are far less concerned about where they park.  As long as they are not blocking traffic they don't see it as a big deal.  You can easily walk around the car even if it is parked on a crosswalk.

Do you guys drive in this country?  I do and trust me,  you will go insane if you don't just accept the Korean way of driving.  They're not gonna change any time soon so we all might as well go with the flow

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 01:58:18 pm »
This is not America or Canada.  Driving over here is a different experience.  The laws are similar but what is considered acceptable is very different.  We have all had it drilled into our heads that we should only park in appropriate parking places or we will get towed or ticketed.  Not the case in Korea.  Due to a lack of space, traffic enforcement etc people are far less concerned about where they park.  As long as they are not blocking traffic they don't see it as a big deal.  You can easily walk around the car even if it is parked on a crosswalk.

Do you guys drive in this country?  I do and trust me,  you will go insane if you don't just accept the Korean way of driving.  They're not gonna change any time soon so we all might as well go with the flow
I'm one of the few that's happy they don't really enforce a lot of 'laws'. Especially the window tinting laws. Love the tinted windows on all sides. At least cops here aren't as derriere as cops back home about tinted windows.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 02:03:40 pm »

I'm one of the few that's happy they don't really enforce a lot of 'laws'. Especially the window tinting laws. Love the tinted windows on all sides. At least cops here aren't as derriere as cops back home about tinted windows.

I love not being able to see which way the scaploid behind the wheel is planning on heading in, too.

• Dweebs1
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:52:11 pm
    • Yeongwol, Gangwon-do
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 02:10:13 pm »

Do you guys drive in this country?  I do and trust me,  you will go insane if you don't just
 accept the Korean way of driving.  They're not gonna change any time soon so we all might as well go with the flow

I drive in this country and I can always find a parking space.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 02:14:34 pm »
As long as they are not blocking traffic they don't see it as a big deal. 

And oftentimes they don't see it as a big deal even if they are blocking traffic.  :laugh:

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 02:22:14 pm »
Why are you looking at the window? Look at the front wheels.

And OP, parking on crosswalks is a minor sin in the grand scheme of Korean driving. Just walk around the cars. Accept that cars will park in the far right lane with or without those jucha geumji signs.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 02:24:47 pm »
As mentioned before, it's just extreme laziness.

My friends apartment building is totally full of people over parked double parked and triple parked, and so many cars parked in front of other cars that to get your car out of a real parking spot might mean having to push 7-10 cars out of the way.

For + 1 minute of driving and walking, you can park in the apartments practically empty under ground parking area.

I also bump or fall on to peoples cars who park on crosswalks! Glad I'm not the only one.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 02:47:41 pm »

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

Just walk around the cars. Accept that cars will park in the far right lane with or without those jucha geumji signs.

All fine for those of us with working legs.  Those curb cuts aren't for lazy blobs who cant bother stepping off of a curb.

Walked out of my apartment and looked at my friend and said, "WTF! If a person who is wheelchair bound needs to get by..." not a minute later a lady in a motorized wheelchair turned the corner.  She ended up going back a block to the nearest curb cut and riding her wheelchair down the right hand lane of the road with cars passing until she could get on the sidewalk again.   

Zero regard for anyone.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:21:13 pm by Heartochangethings »

• Porksta
  • Veteran

• October 08, 2011, 09:31:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »
I was actually about to post asking about the legality of this.  Regardless if there is space to go around, can I walk on top of a car hood?

• kiki_3d
  • Adventurer

• September 23, 2013, 01:53:00 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 03:15:42 pm »
It's a real pain if you ride a bike! I've had so much trouble getting into the crosswalk or back onto the sidewalk, where the bike lane is, because of one or two cars that are parked in shit spots.