Read 7043 times

Recruiters/ Schools that accept blacks?
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:22:15 am »
Hello there,

I recently graduated from uni with the hopes of finding employment in Korea. It has been quite a depressing journey. I've had recruiters straight up tell me that they can't find me work because Koreans only want white female instructors. I had the embarrassing situation of overhearing a prospective job telling my recruiter that they wanted a pretty white teacher and that I was too black and ugly. They were speaking in Korean but they both didn't know I understand a bit of Korean. :sad: Anyway, does anyone know recruiters or schools that are open to diversity?

• koreaiskorea
  • Super Waygook

• August 06, 2013, 09:21:54 am
    • Double Standard Hotel
Re: Recruiters/ Schools that accept blacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:32:10 am »
Why would you want to live in a country that harbours those views?  If you are dead set on Korea, you should try public schools since they are not profit oriented and I have seen many black people in the program throughout the country. 

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:36:10 am »
EPIK. This is probably your best way in as a non-white female.

As a black person coming to Korea you have to be very thick skinned. But I respect black people that come to Korea and stick it out, they make much more of an impact on the children than white foreigners. A lot of Korean children will point at a black person, laugh and say they are ugly, while in general students that have had a black teacher won't do that at all and will sometimes scold other children who do. I think Korea needs more black people, despite the hardships black people will have I still think they accomplish a lot just by being in Korea and exposing themselves to this community.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:42:33 am »
Join the Brothas and Sistas of South Korea facebook page.

You dodged a bullet with the school that wanted a pretty white teacher. They most probably have nothing to offer in terms of education and have to resort to duping parents by showing off their shiny "real American".

Sadly, there are too many of these type of schools and still too many parents with bigoted and dimwitted views on the idea that race = qualifications/ability.

Make sure your documents are in hand, and make sure you have your TEFL/TESOL certificate.

You can also apply directly to EPIK, GEPIK, CEPIK, JLP (Jeollanamdo English Program), GOE (Gyeongnam Office of Education), Jeju Office of Education and a whole host of other public programs.

Try to apply directly to schools as well, namely because recruiters aren't there to help you...they are there to place as many teachers in schools and get the commission fee before their competitors...so they will almost always choose the easiest way to get paid - market the hell out of (female) white teachers because they are the easiest to place.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:15:27 am »
Unfortunately, Korea is very xenophobic, towards any race not Korean. Even if you are "Korean" but can't speak Korean (gyopo or Korean American) they scowl and what not..

Honestly, your  best bet is to go South. As much as people say Seoul is the mecca and more diverse. I would disagree.

People living in Seoul have money, and tend to be very narrow minded. They want the "image."

My experience in Korea... Busan, even Daegu, I have met way more black folks that have found positions, even in private schools.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• vangm
  • Adventurer

• March 22, 2014, 01:52:23 pm
    • Pocheon City
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 08:18:56 am »
Try public schools with GEPIK/EPIK, JLP, GOE

In my case, being Asian was a deal breaker for the positions I interviewed for. Two years ago, I interviewed with a hagwon and the previous teacher was in charge of finding a new teacher for his hagwon. He referred me to his director. Unfortunately, he emailed me to tell me that his director didn't want to hire me depite my qualifications. It was due to the fact that I "looked too Korean", and that the parents would not be happy. :( He was disappointed in his hagwon, but we both agreed that it was not the place for me. And I moved on to better opportunities. So don't give up. Hang in there. The right school will come along.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:20:08 am »
From my experience, schools that only want "Pretty white American Disney princess" looking teachers are the type of schools that are just using you as an English puppet to make the school look good.  These are hellwons and usually will work you hard and have little to no respect for you. 

Plus, working at those types of schools with parents that prefer a fair skinned teacher usually have awful kids to boot.  I too had to overcome huddles with kinder to 1st grade students that would cry and the very sight of me.  They would often run away in fear of me too.  To me that's the fault of the parents that don't teach their kids any better.  I say you really SHOULD GO PUBLIC and plus trying to get a snotty kinder/1st grader to like you and undo the brainwashing their parents put into them is really not something you want to even try to do anyways.  It's one thing to open the children's mind to new people but when you are dealing with a child that cries every time they see you and continues to cry for 3 months straight till they quit or change them to one of your blonde blue eyed co-workers is really something I don't think anyone has patience for. 

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:21:07 am »
EPIK is your best bet. My wife is mixed race and we both teach public school. In my tiny town and immediate surrounding areas there are 3 black public school teachers out of a total of 9 in this very small area. Two of the 9 are mixed race, so give it a shot.

I would however agree that it might be a bit of a struggle at times, I'm not black and I can't claim to understand the difficulties, but I am from South Africa and when I mention this, some Koreans will start to say racist things, I try to dial it back and correct them in a passive way.

Best of luck!

• peachkitten
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2013, 03:38:06 am
    • Seoul, Republic of Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:03:46 am »
I am a Black woman and am also having trouble finding a job. I have been looking for months and honestly, most of my emails (with my pic) don't even get a reply. The few offers I have gotten have been crappy conditions and pay.

Many people are saying to go with public school (I did that my first year), and I agree that since they are less for profit, it might be an easier route. For me, I prefer the flexible start dates and later hours of private schools. Also since it is September now and the hiring time for public schools (or should I say the starting time) isn't now, I have been applying to lots of private school positions.

I studied Korean in university and I am really wanting to come back not just to improve my language and experience more of the culture, but to improve my self and inspire others (in and outside of work). I feel like I'm also a pretty good candidate with my experience (3 years), TEFL certificate, and an easily transferable visa.

With all that in mind, it has been incredibly embarrassing and frustrating to be ignored, or to be told that an "Urgent position" is only looking for a Caucasian teacher; Wow, am I so bad that you would rather have the business be crippled by a lack of teachers while you wait for your White teacher than give me a chance?

Or to have someone sputter their way through "Well the school... they only want white teachers...." and then to be told "You know how it is." Yeah, I guess I do.

I kid you not, when I was searching for jobs a couple of years ago, I responded to an ad I saw online (which I'm now thinking might not have been legitimate) with my resume and picture.
The response: "Sorry, we don't hire niggers."

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:21:22 am »
Peachkitten, If your TEFL cert is a proper teaching practice one, apply to the British Council. They take diversity very seriously, with regards to race and nationality (but not TEFL certs) And like all places they prefer to hire from in country. Just curious but hasn't your experience put you off wanting to get to know anything more of Korean culture? 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:39:32 am by eggieguffer »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 05:53:16 am »
The British council does NOT take diversity seriously (despite being required to by uk law). You'll see a token brown or black person here and there, and that's it.

In my several trips to the council here in Korea, I've only seen Korean staff at reception and white teachers in classrooms. Every one of my Korean friends (numbering about 12) that has taken classes with them over the years have said the exact same thing.

Peachkitten the only advice I can give is to keep looking and applying. Don't bother working with recruiters, and if you do, do not use them as your primary source for jobs...as a black person in Korea, your most important source for jobs is your network.

Good luck and keep searching!

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:47 am »
The British council does NOT take diversity seriously (despite being required to by uk law). You'll see a token brown or black person here and there, and that's it.

They take it seriously in the fact that they don't discriminate against anyone for reasons of race, age, nationality, sexuality or disability. E.g. as policy they have paid flights for and provided private medical insurance for gay teachers' civil partners, that's putting your money where your mouth is. Can you imagine a Korean company doing that? They have mandatory diversity training for all staff, they have a permanent head of diversity in their London office (a black woman - if you want to tell her what you said on here, I'll pass on her email address) overseas appointments are usually made by phone interview, CV and application form (no photo required) so appearance isn't relevant. As far as I know, however, they don't have quotas or practice positive discrimination. If you've only seen Korean staff on the front desk, I assume it was because they didn't have any strong applications from non-Korean fluent Korean speakers with the right working visas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:02:24 am by eggieguffer »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 07:30:28 am »
There's a difference between having a policy and actually implementing it.

Married homosexuals in the UK have the same rights as married heterosexuals (or those in civil partnerships), so the British Council isn't doing anything special by providing relocation services or insurance for partners (classed as family members/dependents), given they would do it anyway.

Of course the head of diversity would be a black (or Asian) person...they're trying to make a point.

Yes, the BC does not require photographs for applications, very few British organisations do. It doesn't mean they don't discriminate either.

With regards to having Korean staff at reception, 99% of businesses and institutions in Korea have Korean receptionists...my point was that the "diversity" I've seen at the British council locations here in Korea have been Korean admin staff and white teachers.

Nobody said anything about positive discrimination or affirmative action procedures. I simply gave anecdotal evidence of my observation and the observations of a dozen others that have had interactions with the British Council here in Korea.

• b of nc
  • Veteran

• September 09, 2010, 12:02:53 pm
    • Mom's basement
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 07:55:24 am »
As others have said public schools are your best bet. There are jobs still available all over the country.

My recruiter replied to me fairly quickly considering I sent my initial email over a weekend. I started working at my current school in March but even as I look at her latest placement ad on Dave's there are public positions in my Province for December-March. Positions are available to those who will do the leg work. It's (slightly) hard(er) than for a white blonde female, not impossible.
-Tea Master-in-chief

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 08:01:39 am »
There's a difference between having a policy and actually implementing it.

Married homosexuals in the UK have the same rights as married heterosexuals (or those in civil partnerships), so the British Council isn't doing anything special by providing relocation services or insurance for partners (classed as family members/dependents), given they would do it anyway.

Of course the head of diversity would be a black (or Asian) person...they're trying to make a point.

Yes, the BC does not require photographs for applications, very few British organisations do.

It doesn't mean they don't discriminate either.
With regards to having Korean staff at reception, 99% of businesses and institutions in Korea have Korean receptionists...my point was that the "diversity" I've seen at the British council locations here in Korea have been Korean admin staff and white teachers.

Nobody said anything about positive discrimination or affirmative action procedures. I simply
gave anecdotal evidence of my observation and the observations of a dozen others that have had interactions with the British Council here in Korea.

I think you'd better put up or shut up to be honest. Either you think BC Seoul discriminates
against black people or it doesn't. If you think it does I told you I can give you the email of the head of diversity so you can complain. And you'd be calling me, as someone who's done hiring there in the past, and my ex colleagues, racists. Not clever , without real evidence.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:04:51 am by eggieguffer »

• peachkitten
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2013, 03:38:06 am
    • Seoul, Republic of Korea
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 08:18:20 am »
Peachkitten, If your TEFL cert is a proper teaching practice one, apply to the British Council. They take diversity very seriously, with regards to race and nationality (but not TEFL certs) And like all places they prefer to hire from in country. Just curious but hasn't your experience put you off wanting to get to know anything more of Korean culture?

Sometimes I do get upset and think 'Why should I force myself on their country since they clearly don't want me there?'
It's not so much "oh, I'm going to go teach in the Korean countryside and help underprivileged children learn English and see that Black people are not bad~~~ :angel:" anymore. Although I admit, I do love helping others, so I still have that mindset to some extent haha.
 But Korea is somewhere I want to come back to right now. And at this point, it is more about me and my needs and interests. My D-10 visa is still valid, and now that I have more experience under my belt, I feel like it would be good to continue to expand upon this opportunity (for personal growth, financial stability, travel, etc.).
Even though those kind of experiences really upset me, I don't want to just give up.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 08:22:33 am »

I think you'd better put up or shut up to be honest. Either you think BC Seoul discriminates
against black people or it doesn't. If you think it does I told you I can give you the email of the head of diversity so you can complain. And you'd be calling me, as someone who's done hiring there in the past, and my ex colleagues, racists. Not clever , without real evidence.

Bwahahaha!

Put up with the distinct lack of "diversity" at BC in Korea or shut up about it!

Yeah, just about sums up what their hiring policy is over there.

Interesting that you NEVER stated that the BC in Korea requires many applicants to have CELTA certification, even if they already have experience in Korea.

Duh

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 08:30:52 am »
O.P. and peachkitten, any luck with the recruiter I suggested?

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 08:37:41 am »
EPIK definitely recruits everyone. Considering Korea's reputation I was pretty impressed at the variety of people at the EPIK orientation--people from every culture and race.

I would say though that EPIK provinces tend to run out of money and refuse to re-sign teachers, so don't expect to be able to stay at a school and keep signing contracts year after year like you used to be able to do.

Also going with EPIK almost definitely means you'll be in a small boring town.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• koreaiskorea
  • Super Waygook

• August 06, 2013, 09:21:54 am
    • Double Standard Hotel
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 08:56:11 am »
Hello there,

I recently graduated from uni with the hopes of finding employment in Korea. It has been quite a depressing journey. I've had recruiters straight up tell me that they can't find me work because Koreans only want white female instructors. I had the embarrassing situation of overhearing a prospective job telling my recruiter that they wanted a pretty white teacher and that I was too black and ugly. They were speaking in Korean but they both didn't know I understand a bit of Korean. :sad: Anyway, does anyone know recruiters or schools that are open to diversity?

WTH!? This is why I haven't made the effort to learn Korean and I have no interest in anything Korean except my pay. I show up, do my job, then go home. You have a much thicker skin than I do. It's good that you've studied Korean, but me...I don't want to know that negativity because I would start to resent/hate people if I knew. Public school might be a good option. You just have to keep looking for a hogwan owner who isn't racist. They are out there. I knew an AA guy who worked at the same hogwan for 5 years.

Wow you're a real catch I bet.  You're in Korea only to make 15 bucks an hour but hate everything else.  Nice excuse as to why you haven't studied Korean, I've heard it before from others that don't have the mental capacity to even learn the language if they tried. Another unemployable body in Korea because they have no other choice.  Sad.