Read 4252 times

• verokil
  • Newgookin

• September 15, 2015, 12:20:46 pm
    • Seoul
Don't know which job to choose
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
I have been living in Seoul for a year now and decided to do another year for personal reasons. I have been looking for a new school for about a month now and I haven't found a dream school... probably because those only exist in universities and I'm far from qualified to teach in one.

Here are the schools that have offered me a job thus far:

DUX in Daechi
Little Chrispin in Pyeongtaek (BF lives here)
LCI in Seocho

-DUX: 3-9PM, but you have to grade about 200 papers every week and you don't get breaks, write daily reports about the class, and create tests. (2.3 w)
-Little Crispin: 9:30-5:30, but no breaks (lunch w/ kids), daily reports on ALL students. (2.3-2.4 w)
-LCI: 9:40-5:30 TT and 10-7 MWF, breaks unpaid, report cards, monthly comments. (2.3-2.4 w)

Currently I get breaks, including a 45 min lunch, but the hours are too long and I teach 10 classes a day (I work at a POLY). I hate it. I'd rather teach shorter hours, for lesser pay, but the idea of getting no breaks sounds overwhelming. I want to hear from people who work similar schedules to the ones I posted. Is it manageable, are you burnt out, is it worth 2.3-2.4? I've no idea how to make a decision on my own because they all have pros and cons... tips?

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
Re: Don't know which job to choose
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »
wow I have been out of private for 2 years, and they seem to be getting worse.

Seriously DAILY reports, what a joke.

No breaks?

only 2.3? **** all those jobs.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• midori951
  • Veteran

• February 24, 2014, 12:14:59 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
dang i feel tired when I have 4 classes a day...  :lipsrsealed: sorry but just check for other options. thats what I think.

• pjst
  • Veteran

• April 30, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:57:43 pm »
None of those offers are any good - I'd search for better, or at least more money.

However, if those are your only options, I'd take the one with shortest hours. daily class reports are easy to BS, and if you're grading 200 essays a week, it's bound to be more like "grading" (find a different way to say "good job" on each no matter how awful), and that's likely what the school is expecting/wants. Shorter hours = more time to do whatever you want.

• verokil
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »
I honestly don't know where you guys are getting jobs that pay better. I have two years of experience (previously taught in Istanbul) and very few schools offer over 2.3 w. There are no public school openings for late October and I can't wait until February for a job.

Poly offers 2.7 w, but you work your butt off for that pay and really end up being underpaid.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »
I honestly don't know where you guys are getting jobs that pay better.

Never accept the listed offer.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• verokil
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 04:01:01 pm »

I didn't. These jobs start at 2.1, except at DUX where every new teacher starts at base salary.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:18 am »
wow I have been out of private for 2 years, and they seem to be getting worse.

Seriously DAILY reports, what a joke.

No breaks?

only 2.3? **** all those jobs.

I agree!  The monthly reports were the worst too.  Talk about the students progress but do not say anything negative what so ever!  Not even the innocuous statement like "He brings a lot of energy to the class."   And every month as to be different even though the kid hasn't shown any improvement because you still have to discipline him every time you see him for the same behavior.  Seriously I would avoid any hakwon that makes me do any of those reports. However, those unicorn hakwon seem to be a thing of the past.  I remember GNB made me do no such thing.  Not even weekly reports.  All I did was phone teaching twice a month.   

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:53:58 am »
None of those offers are any good - I'd search for better, or at least more money.

However, if those are your only options, I'd take the one with shortest hours. daily class reports are easy to BS, and if you're grading 200 essays a week, it's bound to be more like "grading" (find a different way to say "good job" on each no matter how awful), and that's likely what the school is expecting/wants. Shorter hours = more time to do whatever you want.

"GRADING" WAS THE BEST!! LOL I worked at one hellwon were we only gave Cs as the lowest grade and during the test you had to coach the student to the right answer.  Not give them the answer but hover over them and say "are you sure about that answer, try reading it again."  And if the student chose the wrong answer you'd have to say "I'm not sure about that answer." 

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:37 am »
All of those sound very meh, especially if this isn't your first year teaching.

I'd say keep searching. But the last 2 options are better than the first, if you have to choose.
Have you talked to current and former foreigners about the working environment?
At least with the second you'd be close to your BF.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:08:54 am »
My friend enjoyed his time at Dux.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 12:48:20 pm »
No breaks? I would be surprised if Korean labour law didn't make it mandatory for all employees to get a break. As for unpaid breaks, again, pretty sure this is illegal under labour laws.

10 classes a day!

How do you even have time to do daily report cards?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:49:59 pm by Eros »

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:50 pm »

I didn't. These jobs start at 2.1, except at DUX where every new teacher starts at base salary.

You did pretty well then.

I'd probably choose one of your last two options just because they finish early evening.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• verokil
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:30 am »
No breaks? I would be surprised if Korean labour law didn't make it mandatory for all employees to get a break. As for unpaid breaks, again, pretty sure this is illegal under labour laws.

10 classes a day!

How do you even have time to do daily report cards?
I teach 10 classes at my current job. We don't have to do daily report cards, although monthly reports are tedious as well.