Read 1408 times

• echu919
  • Newgookin

• August 28, 2014, 10:02:06 am
    • Daegu
Ending a contract
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:41:12 pm »
I just started working at a hagwon, signed contract and all. My recruiter essentially lied to me about the position's work hours and requirements, etc. So I want to quit.

I haven't submitted my documents to the immigration office to renew my E2 visa yet.

I'm worried that in ending my contract only a week in, they'll request that I pay the recruiter fee. Is there anything else they could do to me? Do I need a letter of release since I haven't submitted my documents to the Immigration office yet?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Sorry I forgot to mention, I finished a year with EPIK so I'm still on the remaining visa time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:47:03 pm by echu919 »

Re: Ending a contract
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:58:35 am »
I'm just wondering. Didn't the starting time reflect in the contract? If they did and the school changed them you'll have a stronger case. As for immigration, they honestly don't care about the internals of whats happening in the schools, as long as you'r documents are prepared when applying to stay in the country.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:39 am »
You are now working illegally.  Your 'old' E2 applies only to your EPIK school.  You have 14 days to report your change of status to immigration.

I am not sure what you will change status to.  If everything was fine you would start a new E2 with the new employer.  As I see it your options are to change to a D10, or leave the country.  If you do nothing you'll have to leave the country on or before the E2 expiration date printed on your ARC.  You can apply for an extension, but that would not cover you for working, only for sorting things out before leaving.

They can't ask for the recruiter fee (although they will try).  Is paying it back mentioned in your contract?

• peachkitten
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2013, 03:38:06 am
    • Seoul, Republic of Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:35:49 am »
You are now working illegally.  Your 'old' E2 applies only to your EPIK school.  You have 14 days to report your change of status to immigration.

I am not sure what you will change status to.  If everything was fine you would start a new E2 with the new employer.  As I see it your options are to change to a D10, or leave the country.  If you do nothing you'll have to leave the country on or before the E2 expiration date printed on your ARC.  You can apply for an extension, but that would not cover you for working, only for sorting things out before leaving.

They can't ask for the recruiter fee (although they will try).  Is paying it back mentioned in your contract?

All this, +1

Why were you working anyway for a whole week without having gone to immigration to transfer your visa?
I can understand showing up and checking the school out, getting whatever documents from them, etc. But I definitely wouldn't have been working a regular schedule for a whole week.

You did sign the contract, but you say that the working conditions are different now.

Is the situation something like: the contract YOU READ AND SIGNED say you will work up to 30 hours a week, but your recruiter told you 'oh, but you'll only be working about 22 hours...'?
Or was it more along the lines of a situation where: the contract says one thing ('Employee will teach from 9am to 6pm.'), and your new boss says 'You will work a split shift between 6am and 10pm'?

One of those is a breach of contract and one is a douchey recruiter that you unfortunately believed.

By the way, have you tried to contact your recruiter about the change in work conditions? What did they say?

Either way, even if there is a contract, since no one has done any paper work with immigration (you still have your documents such as passport and ARC card in YOUR possession, right?), I would think that they can't really stop you from leaving. And especially if they clearly went against the terms of your contract, I would just march to immigration, change my visa to a D-10 (show them your ARC with your old school name on it as well as the finished contract; don't show them the contract or anything from the new school), check into a goshiwon and find a different job.
If you want to go home for good, just leave.

Definitely do not pay back the recruiter fee. That is not a standard thing, and I hope you did not sign any contract agreeing to do such a thing. (I doubt they could legally enforce that anyway since you were working illegally. They'd have to tell on themselves to tell on you.)