Read 9040 times

• koreanstar
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2011, 02:35:08 pm
    • seongnam, south korea
Re: Saw my first padded jacket of the 'winter' today...
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 03:17:12 am »
oh my holy dear god, im an atheist, you did? I guess we all work in a land of mad lunatics indeed! I don't even understand why this post was erected in the first place.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 06:04:08 am »
http://www.chicagonow.com/becoming-nikki-lynette/2012/02/10-things-my-white-friends-should-do-for-me-during-black-history-month/
Stop keeping the temperature at movie theaters so cold. My friend Matt and I (blonde Matt, not brunette Matt) often have arguments in the studio about the air conditioning. He explained to me that White people like coooler temperatures, and said "Why the hell do you think movie theaters are always so cold?" During Black History Month, am I supposed to accept that movie theaters across the entire country are set to the temperature preferences of White people? I demand justice. When we go to the movies together during Black History Month, my White friends should demand that the thermostat at the theater be turned up at least ten degrees. February is the shortest month of the year, you can learn to deal for 29 days.

Everyone feels differently about temperatures. I remember in the fall a lot of the African-American and other minority kids would be wearing Starter jackets and fleeces in the fall while you'd see white kids still in shorts. I also remember in the orchestra/band room and in the gymnasium that they would always complain about how cold it was. They hated it when coach made us sit on the floor for 15 minutes doing stretches and crap. When I shared a house in college, the Japanese kid there wanted it set at like 80, the African-American dude at 75, and me and the white guy at 68. I don't know who the weirdos are, but its okay to be different when it comes to temperature.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:05:41 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 07:08:41 am »
There are gender differences too.

I heard on the radio a few years ago that [made up number]% of divorces in North Dakota were attributed to disagreements about thermostat settings.

Also, in offices the men in wool suits and women in skirts and thin blouses often have differences of opinion.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 07:48:40 am »
I had a pretty terrible dream last night that I was trapped in a down coat!

• TeresaD
  • Veteran

• March 31, 2015, 08:00:44 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 08:12:31 am »
There are gender differences too.

Weirdly, I recently read that men have thicker skin than women do. 20 to 30% thicker on average.

Now I know why even when I am freezing, my husband still feels that the AC is necessary  :huh:
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »
Outside of my apartment around 12 last night with your old dad walking down the road in his jacket muttering "Chua, chua" and the apartment next to mine with its ac blasting into their place. Go figure... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:38:23 am by Schellib39 »

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »
I had a pretty terrible dream last night that I was trapped in a down coat!

Now, that's a scary nightmare!!

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:09 am »
Normally I would laugh just as you.  However, for some reason my wife, who is Korean, gets cold easily.  She can handle the heat better than I can.  We will be in the apartment in August.  I will be almost completely naked and sweating while she is in pants and a long sleeve shirt.  Some people can deal with the cold pretty well, the others heat.

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 11:30:17 am »
If Koreans love heat so much then why do they skimp on heat so much in schools and grocery stores...

I just don't think Koreans feel temperature the way I do. They'll wear down coats on a bus with the heat blasting at like 40, but then when they're ouside in -20 weather they won't wear hats or gloves. I don't get it. Maybe spending so many years in frigid public schools as kids fries their nerves.

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »
If Koreans love heat so much then why do they skimp on heat so much in schools and grocery stores...

I just don't think Koreans feel temperature the way I do. They'll wear down coats on a bus with the heat blasting at like 40, but then when they're ouside in -20 weather they won't wear hats or gloves. I don't get it. Maybe spending so many years in frigid public schools as kids fries their nerves.

That bud is a question that if you can answer, you will have a best seller on your hands.  Just live in Korea, look at some of the odd things the locals do, shake your head and go back to doing what you do.  Don't try to make sense, think of it's logic, or get Koreans to explain it to you.  Rinse and repeat.  That's just Korea being Korea and Asia being Asia. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 12:56:30 pm »
I determine the weather on how many times i hear teachers and students say "추위". It's only a 5 "추위" kind of day.

Chewie?
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 01:52:29 pm »
Every day I start my classes by asking student how they are, and how the weather is today. As always, half the class says "TEACHER, I'M COLD" and the other half shouts "TEACHER, HOT!".... some of them while wearing giant jackets and half not... Then we vote, and I write down whatever we have democratically decided the weather is that day.  \_(ツ)_/
"Don't Panic"

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »
I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt today with the windows opened.  Perfect temps.  Koreans bundled up and wearing long sleeves have said the often quoted line to me today of.....

"Aren't you cold?"

Now is the best time in Korea.  Let the fun times begin.....

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »
Update, I went biking this afternoon and it was pretty warm.  I think it was 25 degrees.  I had shorts and a t shirt on and all the Koreans were bundled up in coats. 

Aren't they hot?  Ha ha.  (Strange and I never seem to be in odd amazement at it even after all this time here.)