Read 848 times

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
So, I am currently in a sticky hagwon situation and I am giving in my notice today. I have to serve 8 weeks’ notice according to my contract, but there is no certainty that I will get a letter of release from them at the end. I actually have all the documents one needs for an E2 visa on hand, even a new criminal background check with apostille. So is it possible to cancel this E without a letter of release and leave the country, sign another contract and apply for another E2 visa? I’m not sure if it’s possible to “cancel” an E2 visa or if I will stay on the system as still being employed for the rest of the tenure of my contract (10 months). Is it possible to leave and get a new E2 without a release letter?

You should call immigration (free on 1345) and ask them.  As I understand it your current E2 visa period must expire before a new one can be issued (which is what the Letter of Release releases you from).

You must have just arrived if you are going to be working out 8 weeks of notice and there will be 10 months remaining.

• twak24
  • Veteran

Yeah, I worked in a public school for 2 years, and now I am 2 months into this contract at this hagwon.

Ah, so after the notice period there will be 8 months remaining.

If you are being treated poorly you could also try contacting the Labor Board.

• twak24
  • Veteran

The head foreign teacher is resigning with me today too, but he doesn’t need a letter of release because he is going back to the USA, but he has enough integrity to work his 8 weeks’ notice despite that. You replied to my post about the health insurance. I was thinking that if they refuse to give me a letter of release, I could then go to the labor board with that to get a release from them. I REALLY don’t want to have to do that, but at the same time, I don’t want to work 8 weeks’ notice and not get a letter of release! That’s why I was wondering if I could just jump ship and cancel this E2 and get a whole other one.

Which thread are you actually answering.  This one or your medical insurance one.

Again, she's your bread and butter.  Do you have the funds to sit idle and wait for a job in this job climate?

The head teacher is quitting, you say?

Hell, buy her a nice gift even before contacting the Labor Board and you may elevate yourself to the head teacher position and turn the school around.  But yeah, has she even been paying you?

• twak24
  • Veteran

I am replying to the one about getting a new straight up E2. So the manager (Korean) is the problem. The head teacher who is quitting is the head of foreign teachers, so the problematic manager-teacher (not the owner) will still be here. I am married (to a foreigner), so I have a roof over my head and we have his salary. Basically, I am trying to think of what to do if they do not give me a letter of release. Yes, they pay me.