Read 2724 times

• SA
  • Explorer

• March 08, 2011, 11:42:06 am
    • Daegu
HIGH Electricity Bill - is this normal?
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:45 pm »
Hi everyone

I got my electricity bill yesterday and saw that it was over 100 000 won!!!! That seems crazy to me because I live in a TINY studio and always switch everything off when not in use.

I am thinking maybe its because of the underfloor heating?? Not sure though. Does this sound right or do you think there is a mistake somewhere?

Thanks a ton!

• Nukrain
  • Adventurer

• October 17, 2010, 07:32:45 pm
    • Swaggerville
Re: HIGH Electricity Bill - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:02 pm »
It's probably your underground heating.  Mine reached nearly $200 in February!

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:07:32 pm »
Just electricity?

Or was it the total fee for your apartment?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:09:40 pm »
I'd say this is an abnormal case. I have an Apple TV, MacBook Pro, LCD TV, XBOX, Wii, speakers... I love my gadgets as you can see. I leave lights on all the time, forget to turn electronics off before leaving for the day, and my bill has never been over 25000won.

The more I use my heat the more my gas bill rises.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:11:18 pm »
Mine was just under 80,000W  :o
Sucks.
The graph on the bill is deceiving. The bill we just received is from March (even though the graph says April), and I guess we all used heat more in March. Sucks paying for it, especially since I stopped using it almost a full month ago....

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »
Was it a gas bill or an electric bill?

If it was definitely an electric bill, then yes, that's really really steep.  Most months I pay less than 10k won (but I don't watch a lot of TV or play video games or anything).

However, if it's your gas bill, it's entirely possible.  Especially if you live in an old building, run the heat all the time, leave your gas on after you cook instead of turning it off, etc.   
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• UK girl
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2011, 01:50:50 pm
    • Jeonju
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:23 pm »
Is it your first bill? If it is, it may well be from the previous occupant. I received the previous occupants gas/phone/electricity bills and just gave them to the landlord to sort out. If not, well I don't know...

As others said, it is VERY high for electricity. High, but more understandable if it is gas. My electricity is about 6,000w per month.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »
That's super high... my highest EVER was 30 000 in summer.  How long have you been here? It might be the teacher before you who didnt pay the last (few) bills.  Or all of them... ask your school to find out for u!

• ame
  • Super Waygook

• December 02, 2010, 02:58:32 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:40:34 pm »
Is it too much to ask for you guys to figure out the basics of living?

This question comes up time and again.  The answer is simple, but you have to understand your situation.

1) Do you have a gas meter?
2) Do you have an electric meter?
3) Do you know how to read them?
4) If you just moved in, did you read the meter?
5) If you just got a bill, did you read the meter?
6) Did you look at the bill and find the meter reading?
7) Is it close to the current reading (it will be if you just got a bill)?
8 ) Can you do simple arithmetic, such as subtraction (to calculate the difference in the meter readings) and multiplication (to multiply the number of units used by the unit cost)?

If you don't/didn't get a bill: surprise!  You have to pay for it somehow!  Either it's included in your rent/service fee, or it's not.  Either way, you need to know.  If you should have had a bill, but you didn't get one, did it go astray?  If it did, you still have to pay, and it'll cost more the next month.  If you got a bill, but you don't understand it, ask someone who does.  Don't ask us, we're clueless about your situation.

You also need to know how your apartment works.  Is your heating gas or electric?  Stands to reason, if it's gas you'll use a lot in the winter, but less in the summer.  If it's electric you'll probably use about the same all year (heating in winter and a/c in summer).

It's really not that hard to figure out.  The world works.  The fact that you don't understand how doesn't mean there is a problem.  Educate yourself.

Here's a good place to start:
http://cyber.kepco.co.kr/cyber/01_personal/01_payment/payment_calculate/cal_01.jsp

At the left is also a link for how to read your electric bill.

/rant

• scottdk
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:30:13 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »
I don't think it's such a horrible question to ask.  For many this could be the first time living alone not to mention in a different country.  It's not too much to ask what prices are normally; they will be different than our homes.  Of course there are dependencies upon place, time of year and such.  I think this price does sound high.  Through miss-communication I thought I was paying for my gas and electric together to my apt owner turns out I was paying something else.  Anyway that aside I didn't pay gas or electric for the first oh... 4 months I was here.  Even after 4 months, together, my bill was only 70,000ish.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01:23 pm »
Are you sure the bill is just for your electricity only? Or does it include other utilities as well? For me, my electricity, water and apartment maintenance fees are all combined into one bill, so it's always kind of on the high-side, although the total has always been under 100,000 won. Only my gas bill is separate.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »
And by the way, if you are extremely skeptical that your bill amount is correct, I would ask about it. Last summer, my gas bill was abnormally and outrageously high -- and I hardly ever use the gas in the summertime. I asked one of my co-teachers to look into it for me, so she called the gas company for me, and they sent someone over to check the gas meter reading. It turned out that they had, in fact, made a mistake and overcharged me for the gas bill. So instead of a gas bill of almost 200,000 won, the correct amount ended up being like 7,000 won -- a huge difference, to say the least. Needless to say, I was glad I asked about it and got the situation resolved! Otherwise, I would have lost a lot of money.

• atmosphere
  • Veteran

• April 12, 2011, 09:41:05 pm
    • Sanbon-dong, Gunpo-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 01:08:17 pm »
Are you sure it's electricity only? My bill was about W90,000 and I'd say I'm quite conservative when it comes to switching lights off and not leaving stuff on standby.

• Mr Jason
  • Explorer

• March 18, 2011, 02:39:37 pm
    • Yongin
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »
underfloor heating or 온돌 or 보일러 will cost u a fortune if you live in a studio apartment where LPG gas is hooked up.    even in some houses, it will reach up to 500,000~1,000,000won easy....crazy amount!!!!
if u live in an apartment where you can purchase a LNG(도시가스) connection
u r looking about even in winter about 20,000~30,000won monthly for the winter months......staying here longer than 2 years??=think about it

• peanuts72
  • Adventurer

• December 17, 2010, 07:51:28 am
    • Pusan
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:32:30 pm »
lol my bill is always over 150k won.  I live in a bigger than average sudio and I'm not particularly sparing with my heating. We'll see what happens this month cos ive barely used it in april since its a bit warmer.

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »
floor heating uses mainly gas, very little electricity. There may be something wrong with your bill. Are you sure its YOUR bill? I often get other people's bill in my mail box. You may want to ask your CT to have a technician come check out your place.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
my electricity bill is usually around 100K/month but it also includes "maintenance fees".... whatever those are.....