Read 9166 times

is the milk here sweet for some reason?
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:34 pm »
or is it just me? and if not, then why?

• outsider
  • Veteran

• July 03, 2014, 04:19:05 am
    • Bucheon
Re: is the milk here sweet for some reason?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:29 pm »
There are a lot of choices in regards to milk.  When I first arrived way back I hated the milk here.  It tasted foul and smelled funny to me.  For the longest time I drank only the expencive bottles of milk.  These days, I suppose I have just gotten used to it.  Try another brand.

I actually found the milk back home to taste a little sweeter however

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:33:12 pm »
in a pinch i got some from the GS25 the other night and threw it out immediately. today i went to SSG just to get some organic milk, and bought the little tiny bottles of three different brands just to increase my odds...all of them seem pretty much the same as the GS25 carton. funny-smelling, like you said, and too sweet for my taste. but maybe it's just 'cause i haven't had milk since getting here this year...

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:50:15 pm »
My wife and I have been here for close to six months and have had similar issues with the cartoned milk here.

We've been buying Costco or Yonsei long life milk from Gmarket instead of the fresh stuff you find in marts.

Around $23 for 9 litres, so not too bad!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:28:46 pm »
Much of it is reconstituted.

I find Denmark brand to be pretty good.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:11:59 am »
... i thought the milk here is amazing? its creamy and delish

Wow!

As opposed to where?

Everyone has their own tastes, I guess!

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:22:00 am »
Milk in Korea is probably pasteurized in a different way than it is in your home country. It makes it taste a certain way.

http://stacylaughs.com/post/86978702532/korean-milk

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 06:40:16 am »
I haven't noticed any significant differences between the milk in Korea and the milk back home.  I have tried at least 2 different brands.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

• Tinsley
  • Veteran

• February 06, 2015, 05:52:22 am
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 07:58:07 am »
It does taste funny to me. I drank a lot of milk back home and I suppose I still do here. Never thought about trying a different brand; I'll be on the lookout for the ones mentioned in that blog post. Thanks!

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:31:19 am »
I haven't noticed any significant differences between the milk in Korea and the milk back home.  I have tried at least 2 different brands.

Same here.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:54 am »
I drink the Pasteurised brand of milk. Blue top and green top bottles tastes like half-fat and semi-skimmed like back in the UK.

• dizzl
  • Veteran

• September 14, 2010, 01:20:32 am
    • Jeju
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »
I drink the Pasteur low heat pasturised milk. There are other brands of low heat milk. Tastes the best and most creamy to me.

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:11:18 pm »
... i thought the milk here is amazing? its creamy and delish

Me too! I think the milk is so delicious and creamy, especially the Seoul brand. I just need a little bit in my coffee to hit the "bliss point" compared to milk in other countries. I think the milk is reconstituted, but I am also used to UHT milk in South Africa, so maybe thatís why I enjoy this milk so much.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:21:30 pm »

Milk naturally has sugars in the form of Lactose. usually amounts to around 5g per 100ml.

Most Koreans are lactose intolerant, yet milk is widely available here. I heard (though can't confirm) that the reason for this is that lactase is added to the milk to break down the lactose into glucose and galactose, thereby making it drinkable to most of the population.

obviously, if this is true, it explains why milk is sweeter here. People think its because sugars are added, but the sugar content is exactly the same as back home.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 01:44:41 pm »

Milk naturally has sugars in the form of Lactose. usually amounts to around 5g per 100ml.

Most Koreans are lactose intolerant, yet milk is widely available here. I heard (though can't confirm) that the reason for this is that lactase is added to the milk to break down the lactose into glucose and galactose, thereby making it drinkable to most of the population.

obviously, if this is true, it explains why milk is sweeter here. People think its because sugars are added, but the sugar content is exactly the same as back home.

I would love for someone to confirm this!! Lactose intolerant myself, and instead of looking for other options, I've just been not buying anything. I would love to be able to eat cereal!

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:21 pm »
I think it tastes very similar to the milk I have back home and both are great.  :azn:

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:22 pm »
I have always thought it smelled vaguely of canned corn.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 01:53:52 pm »
Oh side note:

The 2% milk here is YUCK, but then what 2% milk isn't disgusting. If you meant that milk, then yeah, I agree.

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 01:59:47 pm »
never did acquire a taste for the milk here.  i don't mind it flavored or mixed with other things but just plain ol white milk... ehh.  i actually switched to almond milk simply because i like the taste better.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »

I would love for someone to confirm this!! Lactose intolerant myself, and instead of looking for other options, I've just been not buying anything. I would love to be able to eat cereal!

Yeah, would be cool if it could be confirmed. Circumstantial evidence correlates with it. Data almost always depicts Koreans as lactose intolerant, yet students get their carton of school Seoul milk every day. Milk is also ubiquitous in the cafe culture, lattes are everywhere. Something just doesn't add up.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.