Read 3671 times

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
Any hope?
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »
I enjoy teaching in Korea and plan to do so long-term but I've a strong preference for older students. EPIK/GEPIK  is hit or miss since you can't choose grade level. I am fully aware that high school jobs are being quickly eliminated but refuse to give up hope. My question is:  Are there any HS positions(public only) left for foreign teachers here?  If so, are there any specific areas/recruiters I should look into that would allow me to apply directly to high schools only? Should I just give up in searching for HS jobs?  If not HS, I am willing to apply directly to middle school (as second to HS) but would like the option to choose exactly where I work.  I am flexible in terms of location but would like to find a HS at which I can stay at least 2 years. No interest in Uni nor adults (split shifts).  Would be interested in applying for 2016 school year. Yeah, it's the lifestyle in Korea but being shifted around constantly becomes exhausting quickly (especially after finding that one school you love).  :sad:

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
Re: Any hope?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »
If you really want to teach in Korea long term...then why not become a certified teacher and look into getting yourself a job in an international school here.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:39 pm »
I am a high school teacher through Epik. However I was told I got my placing mainly because of my credentials ( I am a licensed teacher back home). If you are not a licensed teacher, getting a hs job might be tricky. I would look into applying to a private school or a National school. They can hire Eng teachers outside of Epik control so you might be able to apply directly.

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
@betseynorm03 I have credentials and several years experience teaching HS which is why I prefer it. In fact,  EPIK/GEPIK has usually placed me in HS without prompting on my part but wouldn't want to apply on the offhand chance that they suddenly decide not to place me there.  @ Nivea I have no interest in international schools.  For that matter, I could return home for work which defeats the purposes of my intentional choice to teach here instead.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:42:13 pm »
I'm a licensed teacher working at a HS here as well. It would be fantastic to make the switch to International school because i am not really an english teacher, i just play one in Korea.
Although i occasionally browse for openings in international schools, i haven't had much luck finding openings in my subject (social studies). Anywhere in the country.
Also, the school year starts at different times for int. schools which makes it more difficult for a smooth transition from an EPIK gig to an int school.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:49:38 pm »
I am a high school teacher through Epik. However I was told I got my placing mainly because of my credentials ( I am a licensed teacher back home). If you are not a licensed teacher, getting a hs job might be tricky. I would look into applying to a private school or a National school. They can hire Eng teachers outside of Epik control so you might be able to apply directly.

getting placed in HS doesn't always have to do with being a licensed teacher. there are many, MANY people i know teaching HS who aren't licensed in their home countries. it might help, but it's not necessary by any stretch of the imagination. if you have a Master's degree of any type that seems to help as well.

@the OP - your best bet of finding an HS job would be to contact as many recruiters as possible and ask them if they have any direct placements in high schools available.

• kjritchhart
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2013, 01:38:04 pm
    • Yeoju-eup
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:29:35 am »
I teach at a high school and college combo thing (agriculture school), and do not have a teaching license from home.  However, I do have an MA and teaching experience.  It isn't impossible to get a high school job but it is difficult.  I agree with another poster that you should try and get direct placements with schools via recruiters.  That will be your best bet if you prefer high school.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:54:15 am »
Have you looked into JLP as opposed to EPIK? When I aplpied I specified that I wanted elementary and thats what i got :)

• jamonamagnet
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2015, 10:09:26 am
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:41:31 pm »
Getting into HS has nothing to do with being licensed or not.  Any EPIK applicant can be placed at any level of school.  The problem is that there was a huge funding cut, starting with HS, so there are simply not many HS positions to be had.

• CliffK
  • Moderator LVL 1

• September 03, 2014, 10:57:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 03:04:50 pm »
Yeah I know that the HS positions are being cut. I applied to EPIK, requested high school, and received middle school. It's fine, since I just wanted a change from elementary school and middle school gives me a new challenge, but I think it does reflect the increasing competitiveness of high school positions. As far as JLP goes, I actually contacted them, passed the interview, and inquired about high school positions. However, they told me that they couldn't guarantee a high school or even a middle school position, since the focus was on elementary schools these days. So it's tough. I think as others have said is that the best bet is to maybe get the credentials and look at the international school positions. Another option is to maybe look at teaching TOEIC/other test prep. I'm not sure how competitive this is or how many jobs there are, but it may offer you a position working with older students.

• benteacher
  • Adventurer

• March 31, 2015, 11:25:21 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 08:44:40 am »
I was placed in a high school in Ulsan with no prior experience, just a degree and tefl certificate. Someone else in Ulsan also had no experience nor a teaching a degree and ended up in HS. A lot of these students also go to academy, so I'd check out the Ulsan job market.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:49:33 am »
I knew a guy who got a HS placement solely because he was very tall.

Anyway my girlfriend is a HS Korean English teacher in Daegu. They will be interviewing for a new native teacher in the next month or two. So just look out for job postings and apply directly to places.