Read 627 times

  • vanwest3
  • Adventurer

    • 63

    • July 06, 2014, 01:41:57 am
    • Seoul
Two Hagwon Contracts Signed Both Have Different End Dates
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:38:55 pm »
Disclaimer: I'm posting this for a friend who is having hagwon problems.

"I signed a 12 month contract with my hagwon, and that contract was sent to the immigration office for my visa and ARC card. My ARC card expires a month after the ending of this contract (contract ends August 31st).

After signing the 12 month contract (which was sent to immigration for my visa), the school had me sign an additional contract stating that my obligation to the school is actually 18 months (ending February 2016). I was not given a choice to choose 12 or 18 months. I had to devote 18 months to get the job.

I'm having serious problems with my school and I'm ready to find another job as soon as my first 12 months are up on August 31st. Can I legally quit after 12 months, following the contract that was sent to immigration for my visa, or am I legally obligated to stay until the 18 month contract is up (despite my visa and ARC card being tied to the 12 month contract)?"

  • oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

    • 662

    • November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
Re: Two Hagwon Contracts Signed Both Have Different End Dates
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:16:14 am »
You can quit anytime you want. If you want to leave on Aug 31 then you should have told them by now. Giving at least a month is common courtesy and now there is less than a week before the desired exit date.

If I were your friend, I would wait to make sure that the severance has been paid for the completed year and that all the money is put in for pension before giving proper notice. If they do not pay it gives more reason to quit and head to the labor board.

Next time have your friend ask these questions well before the date to have things handled in a timely manner.