Read 3841 times

ATOP Recruiting Company?
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:14:14 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with a recruiting company called ATOP?
I've been working with them recently and I've seen some negative and positive
reviews about them here and there.
Anyone?

• carm0613
  • Newgookin

• July 14, 2019, 01:57:22 pm
    • australia
Re: ATOP Recruiting Company?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »
Hi i know this is late but did you end up going with this recruiter in the end?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:58:28 pm »
Depends on what kind of jobs they're offering.  A bunch of lowball offers tell them to screw off. 

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 11:24:15 pm »
  ATOP, oh ATOP. I've been dealing with them too. They just put lists of jobs out on Dave's ESL Café, and then they tell people to pick from that list. Whether those jobs are really available for you or not, I can't say. I applied to them and then every few days, they would get back with another couple of questions for me, but  no interview as yet. Then they asked me to send them a short video introduction so that the hagwons can check my accent and appearance. I said no to that, because it's nonsense, and they had had ample time to find me a job.
   Earlier this year, I was talking to a friend working at the same language school as me in the U.K. He hadn't worked in Korea, but was curious. When I mentioned that a different recruiter had wanted me to prepare a video introduction after a demo class, he said: "What! Why would you even want to do that? They are a bunch of fuckin' wankers!" He was absolutely outraged and he was right.
   If ATOP finds you a job quickly, then well and good. You can then check out the hagwon. But if they keep on tacking on new questions and requests and extra photos and videos of your smiling face, you will need to spread your net wider and contact many more recruiters.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:01:17 am »
  ATOP, oh ATOP. I've been dealing with them too. They just put lists of jobs out on Dave's ESL Café, and then they tell people to pick from that list. Whether those jobs are really available for you or not, I can't say. I applied to them and then every few days, they would get back with another couple of questions for me, but  no interview as yet. Then they asked me to send them a short video introduction so that the hagwons can check my accent and appearance. I said no to that, because it's nonsense, and they had had ample time to find me a job.
   Earlier this year, I was talking to a friend working at the same language school as me in the U.K. He hadn't worked in Korea, but was curious. When I mentioned that a different recruiter had wanted me to prepare a video introduction after a demo class, he said: "What! Why would you even want to do that? They are a bunch of fuckin' wankers!" He was absolutely outraged and he was right.
   If ATOP finds you a job quickly, then well and good. You can then check out the hagwon. But if they keep on tacking on new questions and requests and extra photos and videos of your smiling face, you will need to spread your net wider and contact many more recruiters.

The video...right on, phuck that nonsense. 

ATOP....give them a pass, unless they have exactly what you want (and it can be verified).  But, if you are desperate, you have to do what you have to do.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 11:16:42 am »
to be fair i think even EPIK requires a video introduction. absolute shite though, i agree

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 04:52:39 am »
EPIK?!?! Wasn’t it GEPIK that did that during the boom years? Ironically I’ve never had to give a video presentation for any of my GEPIK jobs...korean references worked just fine.

It would be a shame if EPIK has jumped on this brain dead, idiotic practice.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 08:30:51 am »
EPIK doesn't ask for a video. I think SMOE does though and you can apply for EPIK and SMOE on the same application I think so maybe that's why someone would need to submit a video. But I agree that submitting a video at all is ridiculous.

• minmei
  • Waygookin

• January 10, 2019, 01:09:29 am
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 11:00:30 pm »
I knew a guy who used them and they stuck him in a hagwon that refused to pay. He would go months without payment

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24:21 am »
I knew a guy who used them and they stuck him in a hagwon that refused to pay. He would go months without payment

Well, to be fair, UNLESS the the agency actually knew about proved past behavior like that from the school, something like that would not be their fault....again UNLESS they knew about things like that, then placed the teacher there anyway, being in cahoots with the school (would not surprise me) somehow. 

However, I would say the agency has some sort of responsibility and ABILITY, to place the teacher elsewhere.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 04:01:57 pm »
EPIK doesn't ask for a video. I think SMOE does though and you can apply for EPIK and SMOE on the same application I think so maybe that's why someone would need to submit a video. But I agree that submitting a video at all is ridiculous.
ah yes. you might be right there. i think the video was for when i applied directly to SMOE

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 08:08:00 am »
ah yes. you might be right there. i think the video was for when i applied directly to SMOE
Yeah that's probably it. I think that maybe GEPIK schools would also ask for them occasionally since technically those schools hire individually I guess? IDK crap is so inconsistent lol

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 10:50:29 am »
i felt it was even more ridiculous, as i had already worked for SMOE, and i was actually returning to my previous school and previous apartment.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 03:23:50 am »
  I've seen ads for GEPIK that explicitly required the self-introduction video. I don't know about SMOE, but they might want this. The video seemed like more nonsense to add to the photo. Looking for cute teachers.

In any case, ATOP just played around and then called me on Skype at 3 a.m. Like I'm supposed to be on Skype 24/7. No e-mail about a job, just Skype.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 05:38:13 pm »
  I've seen ads for GEPIK that explicitly required the self-introduction video. I don't know about SMOE, but they might want this. The video seemed like more nonsense to add to the photo. Looking for cute teachers.

In any case, ATOP just played around and then called me on Skype at 3 a.m. Like I'm supposed to be on Skype 24/7. No e-mail about a job, just Skype.

Is the video required before an interview?

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:09 pm »
  NorthStar,
                     ATOP asked for me to send a video before an interview. I think GEPIK and EPIK did so to, but I am unsure.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 11:31:04 am »
  NorthStar,
                     ATOP asked for me to send a video before an interview. I think GEPIK and EPIK did so to, but I am unsure.

Well, it is up to you.  I would not bother with them (ATOP) or any agency that requests a video.  That is just crap....tell them to kick rocks.  Of course, that is up to you.

Then again, they are apart of the little get-along-gang of recruiters in Korea.  They have once again formed their little recruiting alliance....so....i f one actually has knowledge of the law and what/she wants in a job, that can land you on their little black list...which they do have.

Go for a direct hire.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 04:49:52 am »
Wutt? Let's put Achips on our blacklist then!
Hey, Achops, you're not nearly what you profess to be, not even B-list, maybe a low C-tops. :azn:
incumbo studiis