Read 2690 times

• jduffy1
  • Veteran

• July 11, 2013, 12:49:33 pm
    • korea
Lotte family feud
« on: August 07, 2015, 03:25:01 pm »
I have been boycotting them because their gum and ice cream are way too expensive for the quality.  Good job providing foreign products though in your department stores, sincerely.   The Korean owners can't even speak Korean well.   They own almost all of the company 97 some percent of 96 billion. 

"The company that operates everything from department stores to amusements parks and hotels is being boycotted by consumers over its murky corporate structure since a succession fight between its founder’s two sons surfaced last month. South Koreans are also criticizing Lotte over its “nationality” as the company is controlled by entities based in Japan and the sons, they say, have displayed poor Korean language skills."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-06/flag-on-123-story-skyscraper-a-symbol-of-lotte-s-identity-crisis

“Nationalism has gone too far,” said Seol Dong Hoon, a professor of social studies at Chonbuk National University in South Korea, referring to the anti-Japanese sentiment over Lotte. “Capitalism has no nationality. What matters is whether Lotte hires people here, produces products here and pays taxes here.” ( and that their owners are nomu taehan minguk in the blood)

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
Re: Lotte family feud
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:22:39 pm »
Fascinating, I wonder why the other chebols' handovers haven't been so public?

Anyways, when I was in Japan, I really didn't notice much of Lotte presence. But, I can barely read Japanese, so maybe it was there, just in a different language.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »
Yeah Lotte is nowhere near as ubiquitous in Japan. I think the Chiba baseball team is sponsered by them. They have lotteria as well :cry: There was a lotte factory near my apartment in northern Tokyo. The whole area smelled of cake.
But certainly no lotte world, malls, department stores or anything like that
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:56 pm »

Wow this is like the perfect storm of Korea's problematic national identity and ruling elites ties with Japan. I love it.

• jduffy1
  • Veteran

• July 11, 2013, 12:49:33 pm
    • korea
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 02:00:26 pm »

Here's a good article about the feud and their conglomerates. Makes me wonder if having  monthly billion dollar trade deficits is just feeding a beast. Large concentrations of power in a few hands has started a cult of idiots around incompetent execs from large to small business owners.
Kind of like this guy who runs a huge company but drives a crappy Sorento.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQ3aYYdc1Q

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/05/lotte-family-feud-exposes-chaebol-peril.html

"Families running chaebols control a vast network of companies through a circular holding structure and their control rights typically exceed cash-flow rights, giving them the final say on corporate decisions. Negative consequences of the system include mandatory support of distressed subsidiary firms, excessive concentration of power within a small group and inheritance of the controlling shareholder position by heirs that may not be qualified to effectively shape a company's future.

The tight control exercised by family owners is a hindrance to the liberalization of South Korea's services sector, which should be the economy's next leg of growth, Barclays economist Wai Ho Leung told CNBC, adding that the entire sector remains insular and domestic-oriented."

• rep300
  • Veteran

• March 24, 2011, 08:10:25 am
    • Northern Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:55:38 am »

Anyways, when I was in Japan, I really didn't notice much of Lotte presence. But, I can barely read Japanese, so maybe it was there, just in a different language.
I am in Japan, its a house hold name here, the feud has been in the main news on NHK (state news channel)
quite a few Lotte products here but yeh no malls etc
Teach Hard!

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:03:22 am »

I am in Japan, its a house hold name here, the feud has been in the main news on NHK (state news channel)
quite a few Lotte products here but yeh no malls etc
Ah, I see, consumer goods. So it would be harder to notice unless you're living there buying local products daily.