Read 3428 times

English camp stories
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:42:51 am »
So vacation is upon some of us and soon to be upon all of us. What sort of hilarious or unfortunate camp stories can you share about this current English camp period. I'm about to begin a Dungeons and Dragons adventure with my Middle Schoolers and it will either be amazing or a total bust (It's a very simplified version of DnD)

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
Re: English camp stories
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:22:17 am »
I am doing a Sherlock camp with one of my schools and an Amazing People Around the World with my other school next week.

So far, my vacation days were moved, I was threatened not to be able to have them at all, I've been told that one camp wasn't good enough for one school, and one was too difficult for the other school so I had to create 2 different camps, I've had co-teachers at both schools love the camp designed for their school and students enjoying the current one I am teaching.

Can't complain too much I guess.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• MartinBrez
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2013, 12:52:18 pm
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:33:40 am »
During winter camp in January, a sixth grade student lost a game. He then shouts in my face whilst throwing a temper tantrum:

"F*** you Teacher!"

I started laughing and he saw that I wasn't bothered. He then started crying and called his mom. His mom came immediately and started shouting at me. My co-teacher asked the student to repeat what he said to me. He repeated what he said and his mom was angry. She then slapped him and forced him to apologize to me.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:28 am »
My camps haven't started yet, they were delayed due to mers. My summer vacation was cut in half, and added to my winter, so at least I don't lose any days.

The contract English Teacher is the most dysfunctional human being I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

We decided to make w classes of 20 students. Once for each week.

Now she tells me she overbooked or whatever, and enrolled 35 students in each class.... they won't even fit into one room... so I have to juggle four different classes... 2 each week, going back and forth.... She hasn't even given me her plan or what I should be doing.

I had something prepared, but she didn't "like" my idea, called me an ineffective teacher, and refused to talk to me now...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This camp is going to be nice.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:59:34 am »
The VP complained that we have too many students interested in summer camp and not enough interested in winter camp.  We will be giving a satisfaction survey to the students to find out why they don't sign up for winter camp.  Somehow this was partially blamed on me.  Apparently I'm not fun in the winter?

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:13 pm »
i knew the first day of camp was going to be horrible as my coteacher lied about what we were doing for camp on the letters sent home.  She had down opening ceremony.  I did not have this planned.  My contract korean teacher who is teaching in an opposite class from me at the same time said we had to do opening ceremony because prinicipal would speak.   I was also told the other classroom was busy today so all grades had to be together.  This was communicated to me last minute.  So it messed up my plans.I had all four periods planned out. The first two were quite a waste..making name tags, letting them goof off...oh and no principal speech. he's not even here.  I kept asking my contract korean teacher to take the students to the other classroom so we could start.  She said she couldn't until third period. I said why not, the classroom isn't being used.  She said..because the coteacher said so. truth is she had nothing prepared. She wasn't even at school for her two days last week so she really has no excuse for no preparation.  What a waste of a day for the kids. I felt bad.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:46:10 pm »
I arranged my camp dates in the first week of the school year. 6 days in summer and 3 and a bit in winter.

Got the okay and everything. Apparently no one told the principal. Heard about it a week ago. He doesn't like me now but he's retiring so meh..

---------------------

Camp is pretty awesome actually. I know and like all the kids as their the same regulars that attend all my camps plus some others. Co-teacher(s) both help planning, teaching and prepping. Will definitely buy them a nice present from home.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:37 pm »
Redacted. Too revealing.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
Last "camp" the kids did a review and between my class and the other 3 classes the kids liked mine the best by a long shot. This upset a teacher that I have had nothing but trouble with, so this camp she tried to restrict everything that the kids said was good about my last camp class with something like "You can't go outside because there are people working on the building (there isn't), You can't make a book, you can't read, you can't even breath loudly, etc etc".

The kids hated her class, and again, loved mine.

Once again proving my point that you can't teach English with a Korean attitude, just as you can't learn Korean with an English attitude.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
First day of camp is tomorrow.  My supplies were not ordered.  Happens every year.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 08:39:31 am »
During winter camp in January, a sixth grade student lost a game. He then shouts in my face whilst throwing a temper tantrum:

"F*** you Teacher!"

I started laughing and he saw that I wasn't bothered. He then started crying and called his mom. His mom came immediately and started shouting at me. My co-teacher asked the student to repeat what he said to me. He repeated what he said and his mom was angry. She then slapped him and forced him to apologize to me.

Sheesh! I'm happy for you that the story didn't end with the mom shouting at you, good thing she got some egg on her face and shared it with her kid :)

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 08:48:29 am »
Some of these horror stories are scaring me for future camps :huh:

My camp started yesterday, it's Dungeons & Dragons and the kids ate it up like mad. Luckily I only have 8 kids, I can't imagine this working with 10-12+ kids.

Favourite moment, all the kids were acting all brave and reckless and 6 of 8 were knocked unconscious by a single attack from a dragon and then I was like:

Teacher: 12 damage to all of you.
Students: Teacher... Waaa?
Teacher: Yeah, 13 damage - 1 for defense, so 12 to all of you.
Students: Teacher... nooo!
Teacher: Okay who's dead?
*Students sheepishly raise hands one at a time, 1,2,3,4,5,6*
Teacher: So kids... Potions... You said you didn't need them.
Student: Yes teacher...

• Snoah
  • Veteran

• April 21, 2011, 03:37:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:02:23 am »
The D&D camp is a great idea. I thought about doing that myself at some stage but unfortunately my students are too young for that. I'd love to know how successful it is in the end and how you went about it. Good luck, sounds like a blast!
Get 10% off iHerb products with this promo code FDT222: https://www.iherb.com/c/iherb-exclusives?rcode=FDT222