Read 3626 times

• kirstenw
  • Waygookin

• December 15, 2010, 10:40:33 am
    • wasu-ri, gangwon-do
The Scottish Highland games
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:00:46 pm »

Whether Scottish or not this should be a useable lesson for anyone, and is suitable for many levels.  Attached is a Powerpoint which teaches students about the scottish highland games (and the lack of underwear under a kilt).  It is full of embedded videos.  I have taught this lesson in both middle and high schools (and to a random Chinese group of students) and it always goes down a storm.  I follow it the next week with a classroom version of the highland games, where I seperate them into 'clans' give them a piece of tartan and 'toss the caber' using wooden chopsticks, and throw 'weight for distance' by making paper aeroplanes..  great for using around exam/end of term time for a relaxed lesson.
Further explanation needed, ask away   ;D

Re: The Scottish Highland games
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:06 am »
Great, structured and entertaining powerpoint. I edited a few bits to suit me.

I made a worksheet to go along with this, though yet to try it out.

Cheers.

• kirstenw
  • Waygookin

• December 15, 2010, 10:40:33 am
    • wasu-ri, gangwon-do
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:12 am »
sweet, that worksheet may be necessary for large classes.  i made this while teaching at a school where the students always sat in teams, classes were made up of about 26 students and 85% of the class stayed alert and contributed to conversation.  any lesson plans i post are often padded out by conversation tangets..  this powerpoint alone lasted a full lesson, then the classroom highland games we had the next week I guess would also only really work with under 30 students and plenty of space (i had a big english zone last year)

hope it works

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:21 pm »
Great for team work and provided some extra discussion into culture  :)

Thanks!!