Read 2140 times

So it's been a losing battle attempting to actually formally teach most of my 1st and 2nd grade after school "classes."  When I'm left alone, they just don't listen to me (mainly bc they can't understand me and because, well, they're little kids).  I understand.  So what I've been doing is playing them a lot of sesame street alphabet, numbers, colors, etc. videos...basic stuff that I think may be helping them somehow.  I've also been (not very successfully) playing really simple games.  My only problem is that they're getting bored more quickly.  So I'm wondering if it's wrong to throw in a Pixar short every now and then...to break up the monotony?  Or is that considered not teaching?  All I know is, after school is pretty hellish for me...I feel anxious just thinking about it.  I'd appreciate ideas, opinions regarding the use of animation that isn't strictly "teaching-related."

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: Is it ok to show animated clips to elementary after school classes?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:09:25 pm »
GO FOR IT! I do it all the time. I just showed first grade yesterday "Lifted" and I plan on showing it to my 5th and 4th graders today. See if they "get a rise" out of it ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Anyways, do it, but don't make it the focus of your teaching. If you can, have it relate to whatever you want them to learn, but it doesn't always have to. Remember, you are not here so much as a teacher, but as a role model and entertainer. Entertain away, but if you feel guilty, go back to teaching. I find a break really helps the students feel good about English. When they feel good, they learn a LOT better.

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
I'd say as long as it includes English, it's fair game. To make it more educational, ask them simple questions about the clip, such as, "Who is ____?" "How many ____ are there?" "How are you, (character name)?"

I do this as a warm-up activity with my students all the time. Best of luck  :D

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »
I have the same problem. They lose focus the moment they come into my classroom for their after school class. Since I don't have a co-teacher, they basically act up the entire class. I play a lot of YouTube songs and try to keep them entertained. We work on very simple things like numbers, colors and letters. I'm always looking for new suggestions on how to keep them entertained. I think my co-teacher knows that I'm not getting much done, but I'm getting the feeling that they don't expect too much from after school classes especially the ones with very young children.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:00:54 pm »
I certainly hope so cuz there is no other way to keep those 1st and 2nd graders even slightly occupied.  My current issue is that I'll show an English teaching cartoon, then try to ask questions to make it, you know, learning, and they just scream and demand the next video.  Then they start running up to the screen and pushing buttons, so I have to stand there with my arms out grabbing and pushing them back away from the TV and shouting to sit down.

I have no idea why that class exists and I'm glad it's only twice a week.

• JD
  • Adventurer

• February 26, 2011, 03:51:35 am
    • Pohang, Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:16:51 pm »
I would not start with the video. Use it as a reward for completing a task. My 1st - 2nd grade after school classes are an hour long. I usually do some sort of handout with coloring for the first 25-30 minutes. Then we take a 5 minute bathroom break. After the break is video, singing and dancing time.

I recommend this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYQd_sJVzk.
Get them to stand up and jump around. They didn't sing at first, but after a couple of weeks they started singing along. They also like the hokey-pokey.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:19 pm »
of course it's okay! i use youtube with my low level speakers as a way to get them excited about coming to class. then i usually teach motions to songs that provide a meaning for the words. that way they're getting some association with words and meanings.

• sclark5
  • Explorer

• March 29, 2011, 11:13:22 am
    • Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:38:35 pm »
The Korean teachers seem to have a problem when I show animated clips in my after school classes. They always question why I am showing them.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »
I would not start with the video.

;D I do the opposite. Usually  it's mayhem just getting them settled when they come in so I usually play a small animation clip/song (related to the lesson) at the start of the class just to have their attention focused to the front of the class....

• hornbrookt
  • Explorer

• October 06, 2010, 01:54:02 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »
of course it's okay to use relevant videos. 

it's been posted many times before, but They Might Be Giants have put together some really educational and even educational stuff that's mostly available on Youtube.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:42:03 pm »
I usually show animated clips in my large classes regardless of grade, when starting a new unit/topic.  It's gets them quiet in the beginning of class and also gets them interested in the lesson. I usually follow it by asking  questions about what they saw and award points/stamps for answers.