Read 7080 times

Review of Yeil Christian International School, now Gyeonggi Global School
A Precarious Situation

I worked at Yeil Christian International School for one contract as a NET, teaching one core subject. The school was located in Ilsan. The school has been rebranded as Gyeonggi Global School, with the same owners and administrative staff.

The short of it is that all 7 members of YCIS’ foreign staff were laid-off 10 months into their contracts, justified by the merging of YCIS and Gyeonggi International School in Paju. No contract completion payments or plane tickets were given, as negotiated in the original contracts. Additionally, governement records show that YCIS administration had been chronically skipping benefit and tax payments. These events were the bombastic end to a year of constant anxiety and frustration stemming soley from the two owners / principals. Currently, the teaching staff and the owners are in a legal battle over wrongful contract termination, unpaid taxes, and sexual harassment.

Read on if you’d like the gritty details.

On its surface, YCIS functioned as elementary/middle/high school. Students studied, teachers taught; there were the big four core subjects (English, science, math, history), and many electives were available. During parent conferences, students and their families expressed satisfaction with the teaching staff and the day to day functions of the school.

An old joke that used to float around the office was that Yeil wasn’t actually a school; don’t go throwing the s-word around! Nothing was accreditted or within regulartory code. Teachers were given minimal guidance, and there was no oversight as to what was actually taught. Students were at the whim of whoever was teaching that year, and most teachers were new due to Yeil’s infamous turnover rate. The only curriculum in place was a series of Bob Jones textbooks, full of irrelevant pagentry and strangely defensive rhetoric. However, it is not for these reasons that I write this review.

The work environment was characterized by ceaseless anxiety at its tamest, and outright hostility at its most intense. There are two owners, with one being the primary antagonist. As the self and repeatedly proclaimed “captain of the ship,” this particular owner tolerated no discussion of how to run the school. A long list of faults follows: firing defacto principal (education coordinator), firing one teacher, constantly changing school and vacation days, having many one on one conferences with each student, downgrading teacher housing, not paying overtime, sexual harassment of female employees, attempting to bribe accreditation company, admitting non-English speaking students to an all-English International school, verbally fighting with staff, the clandestine merger that was only discovered by the non-administrative staff due to a forgotten paper in the copy machine, and justifying all of these actions because of low student enrollment and retention. At its current iteration, Yeil has ceased to exist, and is now absorbed by the also financially-strapped Gyeonggi International School, with Yeil's owners being the new owners of Gyeonggi.

All in all, Yeil CIS was a wonderful place to work, and Gyeonggi Global School will be even better. I express no contempt in writing this review, only gratitude.

http://gischool.or.kr/ycis/
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=64975
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:02:47 pm by mrbarryobama »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Good report

Thanks for the warning recommendation.

Sounds on par for almost every "international school" in Korea.

There is a very small number of such schools here that are serious about their mission to provide quality education...and an even smaller number have accreditation.

• pjst
  • Veteran

• April 30, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Not sure if you're a member or not, but you should absolutely post a review of this school on internationalschool sreview.com. This definitely sounds like an "international school" given it doesn't have accreditation, and that forum is frequented by credentialed teachers who might be considering working at that place.

Thanks for the suggestion pjst!

• Steveyoun
  • Newgookin

• November 24, 2015, 07:30:38 pm
    • Seoul, KOrea
Re: Yeil Christian International, now Gyeonggi Global: A Precarious Situation
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:14:58 pm »
Thanks to an email by presumable a gyopo woman I asked to drop by to look around and talk with me for a job interview, I found this post. I am going to share this post with everyone at the school including students, staff, and teachers. She was kind enough to email me saying 'I am not interested. Sorry. And I found this post...'

I used to be founder and principal of the former Gyeonggi International School. I am currently working as principal of Gyeonggi Global School.

First of all, I have been a paraplegic since I fell from a rock about 13 months ago. While I was hospitalized after the accident, my wife had trouble taking care of me and the school, a job that can't go on for a long time. Then, approached by a guy from Yeil School, my wife and me decied to go on with the merger of the two schools, as Yeil was having enrollment problems. Though I regret for the merger and feel grateful for it at the same time, I am sure the merger wouldn't have happened if I had not been hurt.

Now I know that the former employees of Yeil who had filed for a legal complaint to the Labor Department were all paid off as they had claimed. But I do not know what had happened to them before the merger. I wanted to talk with them to keep some of them employeed but somehow they all refused, which I did not understand but never bothered to investigate. Now I kinda see what had happened to them. But I will have to listen to the so-called 'captain of the ship' to see his side of the story.

I have been working with five foreign teachers, all of whom I contacted and interviewed and hired. I respect them all and have tried to make the best for the students with their help.

This is not the first time I heard bad things about the 'captain' and his unruly manners. In fact, I have witnessed his unusual way of management and been worried about it. I have offered much advice to him and so far it seems no foreign employee has been mistreated for any reason.

Now if you want to work with me, please just come to see and talk with me, the students,  and most importantly, the five foreign teachers. I am not saying we are all happy with the school as it is in such a perfect condition, but you will have to judge it yourself.

Bye the way, the 'captain' hates gyopo women for giving him such an ordeal. He may or may not deserve it, for all I care. Gyopo women, you have another good reason to work with me in the future, at Gyeonggi or somewhere else. I also welcome the former employees of Yeil, whose resumes I only vaguely remember but will have a close look at after this to better understand whether they were good enough to be hired in the first place. I remember one whom I really wanted to meet and keep. Anyways you all are welcome.

Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:35:04 am »
Good message. Sorry to hear teachers were lied to. Well done for speaking up about it.

But at the same time any "school" that teaches Bob Jones books isn't a real school and deserves to become insolvent. Shame on all of you "teachers" who worked there. If you'd any backbone you would have told the staff and parents they are abusing their children by teaching them non scientific nonsense.

Thanks to an email by presumable a gyopo woman I asked to drop by to look around and talk with me for a job interview, I found this post. I am going to share this post with everyone at the school including students, staff, and teachers. She was kind enough to email me saying 'I am not interested. Sorry. And I found this post...'

I used to be founder and principal of the former Gyeonggi International School. I am currently working as principal of Gyeonggi Global School.

First of all, I have been a paraplegic since I fell from a rock about 13 months ago. While I was hospitalized after the accident, my wife had trouble taking care of me and the school, a job that can't go on for a long time. Then, approached by a guy from Yeil School, my wife and me decied to go on with the merger of the two schools, as Yeil was having enrollment problems. Though I regret for the merger and feel grateful for it at the same time, I am sure the merger wouldn't have happened if I had not been hurt.

Now I know that the former employees of Yeil who had filed for a legal complaint to the Labor Department were all paid off as they had claimed. But I do not know what had happened to them before the merger. I wanted to talk with them to keep some of them employeed but somehow they all refused, which I did not understand but never bothered to investigate. Now I kinda see what had happened to them. But I will have to listen to the so-called 'captain of the ship' to see his side of the story.

I have been working with five foreign teachers, all of whom I contacted and interviewed and hired. I respect them all and have tried to make the best for the students with their help.

This is not the first time I heard bad things about the 'captain' and his unruly manners. In fact, I have witnessed his unusual way of management and been worried about it. I have offered much advice to him and so far it seems no foreign employee has been mistreated for any reason.

Now if you want to work with me, please just come to see and talk with me, the students,  and most importantly, the five foreign teachers. I am not saying we are all happy with the school as it is in such a perfect condition, but you will have to judge it yourself.

Bye the way, the 'captain' hates gyopo women for giving him such an ordeal. He may or may not deserve it, for all I care. Gyopo women, you have another good reason to work with me in the future, at Gyeonggi or somewhere else. I also welcome the former employees of Yeil, whose resumes I only vaguely remember but will have a close look at after this to better understand whether they were good enough to be hired in the first place. I remember one whom I really wanted to meet and keep. Anyways you all are welcome.

Thank you.

Here is a review from elsewhere on the web:
A warning to all against working at GIS (Gyeonggi International School). As is the same with most people posting here, they don't honor contractual promises,treat foreign teachers poorly, and treat the students even worse. They lie about the location of the school making it seem like its in Goyang but its actually in Paju (literally on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere). The contract is misleading, promising allowances they do not pay. I regularly saw students beaten for minor infractions of dress code among other things. They lie about courses on the students' transcripts. They change foreign teachers' grades by lowering them and then extorting the parents for more money for extra work to bring the students' grades up. The director has no idea how to run the school. They have banned from administering the TOEFL and SAT tests due to cheating allegations. There hasn't been a single teacher (aside from the managerial ass kissers), foreign or korean, that has lasted a year...whether due to being fired under questionable circumstances or resigning. I quit over a year ago but have been wary of posting. I am leaving Korea to seek work elsewhere and am comfortable doing this now. They make it difficult to find other jobs in korea by withholding your letter of release. I have heard from some of the former Korean teachers that the school will "follow" them to their next job and drag their names through the mud simply to protect themselves from any bad publicity. They have been taken to the laborboard many times by former employees and have been ordered to pay out countless sums of money in unpaid wages and unfulfilled contractual obligations. They were investigated by "undercover" people from the board of education three separate times during my 8 months there. Don't do it people.

In my time there, one instance stands out.  In one of my weekly meetings with the headmaster I expressed some concern about how a student was allowed to graduate despite the fact that she didn't show up to classes from October to December.  I stated that she shouldn't be allowed to walk or receive a degree because she did not fulfill the requirements for three of my courses, and was subsequently failed.  I was told, "that is your opinion." 

No, that's how school works.  Don't show up?  You get an F.  Period. 

But of course, this is all just made up and not true. It's a great place to work! /s
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:39:16 am by smeggingwonderful »

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
I doubt the "letter" by the founder of that school is legitimate, as it is loaded with errors.

Very odd.

A friendly update, from a few of my former students who are still at Gyeonggi Global / Yeil...

The kids all know that the school will not expel them because of their parents' money. They are drinking and smoking in the dorm, conveniently located on the sixth floor of the school. The elevator reeks of tobacco and booze. Girls put on makeup in class. Everyone is swearing. It's no longer a Christian school, so Jesus isn't there to shame the pupils into obedience.

Just a few fun facts because when I heard these things I couldn't stop laughing.

Good message. Sorry to hear teachers were lied to. Well done for speaking up about it.

But at the same time any "school" that teaches Bob Jones books isn't a real school and deserves to become insolvent. Shame on all of you "teachers" who worked there. If you'd any backbone you would have told the staff and parents they are abusing their children by teaching them non scientific nonsense.

Obviously we didn't teach exactly by the book. It is a tool to be used in the greater art of teaching. Science guy/gal definitely had to bring in more supplementary materials than everyone else, though. And the BJU books provided a good laugh now and then, so it wasn't all bad.

• lkudu57
  • Newgookin

• December 01, 2020, 04:11:18 am
    • UNITED STATES
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 04:37:06 am »
A bit late, and I don't even know if the school is still open. I will give some comments in case it is and if under the same management.

I worked at Gyeonggi International School, which soon after I left merged with Yeil Christian International, and I suppose rebranded as Gyeonggi Global. I saw that Steve Youn responded, and I will give my experience working there. I worked there during the time that Mr. Youn broke his back, and before his absence and recovery he was a great pedagogue. He offered to help me with my syllabi and also was very interested in class breakdown, believing that teachers should schedule their classes by the minute. He, and his wife (the owners), were very invested in student education. With this said, they also wanted to make a living. They accepted students that could pay regardless of their background. This allowed them to offer full scholarships to low income families (mostly to children of pastors) and they also had North Korean refugees attending the school, who I believe were sponsored by the government. They gave teachers complete freedom in regard to their class content, which I appreciated (I taught V for Vendetta to Middle School Students). I enjoyed my time with all of the students there, but also with the foreign and Korean teachers, which all believed in student education and mentoring. It worked more like a school rather than a hagwon.

My personal experience with pay was positive. After I ended my 1-year contract, they asked me to stay, and I said I could for 6 months and then would move back to the US. If not, I had other job offers. We agreed for me to continue working. 1 month later, they said they could not keep me due to financial constraints. I was a bit upset because I passed up other job opportunities, but they said I could continue until I found another job. Once I found another job they quickly gave me the paper work to transfer, helped me move out of my apartment, and also paid my severance pay in full. I know others have said they had issues with this, but that was not the case with my specific situation.

Overall, while the hours were a bit long, a lot of classes, and they were very strict with the minutes (a lot of desk warming), I enjoyed my time there more so than other places I worked in Korea. I was able to teach a subject (English Lit.), they gave me freedom to develop the AP curriculum, and the students were, fore the most part, great...many moving on to very good universities in the United States.

Most of the complaints I have seen are par for course when workin in Korea. I cherished my time at GIS. The students were amazing and the school did a lot of field-trips across the country giving us some time away from the classroom. Also, I am still in contact with many of the Korean teachers who went out of their way to make me comfortable, and which I and the other foreign teachers would camp/travel with in our free time. It was a great community.

Keep in mind this was before the merger and when I worked under Mr. Youn and his Wife. Many of the Korean teachers have left since then, so I no longer know the dynamic of the office. There were some odd things, but nothing unusual if you have experience working in Korea. It was better than other places I have worked in Korea. If you are a new to the country, you might be caught off guard.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 08:20:08 am »
Review of Yeil Christian International School, now Gyeonggi Global School
A Precarious Situation

I worked at Yeil Christian International School for one contract as a NET, teaching one core subject. The school was located in Ilsan. The school has been rebranded as Gyeonggi Global School, with the same owners and administrative staff.

The short of it is that all 7 members of YCIS’ foreign staff were laid-off 10 months into their contracts, justified by the merging of YCIS and Gyeonggi International School in Paju. No contract completion payments or plane tickets were given, as negotiated in the original contracts. Additionally, governement records show that YCIS administration had been chronically skipping benefit and tax payments. These events were the bombastic end to a year of constant anxiety and frustration stemming soley from the two owners / principals. Currently, the teaching staff and the owners are in a legal battle over wrongful contract termination, unpaid taxes, and sexual harassment.

Read on if you’d like the gritty details.

On its surface, YCIS functioned as elementary/middle/high school. Students studied, teachers taught; there were the big four core subjects (English, science, math, history), and many electives were available. During parent conferences, students and their families expressed satisfaction with the teaching staff and the day to day functions of the school.

An old joke that used to float around the office was that Yeil wasn’t actually a school; don’t go throwing the s-word around! Nothing was accreditted or within regulartory code. Teachers were given minimal guidance, and there was no oversight as to what was actually taught. Students were at the whim of whoever was teaching that year, and most teachers were new due to Yeil’s infamous turnover rate. The only curriculum in place was a series of Bob Jones textbooks, full of irrelevant pagentry and strangely defensive rhetoric. However, it is not for these reasons that I write this review.

The work environment was characterized by ceaseless anxiety at its tamest, and outright hostility at its most intense. There are two owners, with one being the primary antagonist. As the self and repeatedly proclaimed “captain of the ship,” this particular owner tolerated no discussion of how to run the school. A long list of faults follows: firing defacto principal (education coordinator), firing one teacher, constantly changing school and vacation days, having many one on one conferences with each student, downgrading teacher housing, not paying overtime, sexual harassment of female employees, attempting to bribe accreditation company, admitting non-English speaking students to an all-English International school, verbally fighting with staff, the clandestine merger that was only discovered by the non-administrative staff due to a forgotten paper in the copy machine, and justifying all of these actions because of low student enrollment and retention. At its current iteration, Yeil has ceased to exist, and is now absorbed by the also financially-strapped Gyeonggi International School, with Yeil's owners being the new owners of Gyeonggi.

All in all, Yeil CIS was a wonderful place to work, and Gyeonggi Global School will be even better. I express no contempt in writing this review, only gratitude.

http://gischool.or.kr/ycis/
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=64975

Long story short, it seems the owners need to pick up the "good book" and give it a read or two or three.  Thou shalt not lie (not honoring your word on vacation and other things you legally agreed to).  Thou shalt not steal (not paying you).  Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife (IE sexual harassment).  At least 3 of the 10 Commandments broken right there.  I am sure there are even more rules broken such as the "golden rule" - do unto others as ye would have done unto thyself.