Read 2135 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)

Re: First beaches, now college depts?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:36:54 pm »
browsed the article quickly. It seems the intent of the MOE is to attract more foreigners. Where as it seems that the intent of the beach thing is xenophobia. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:47:33 pm »
I read the whole thing, and yes it is to attract more waykgookins... but that was supposedly the same intent of the beach thing.

Either way, I wonder how successful this will be.

Good profit center, but K-schools are not considered World Class.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:40:11 am »
I don't really get it.

Korean Universities aren't particularly well-respected abroad. Sure, they'd make for a great semester abroad, but that's about it. Additionally, most Korean companies are pretty xenophobic in their hiring practices, and those which seek foreign graduates, are looking for those candidates with an overseas degree and experience outside of Korea. Getting a degree from a Korean University does little to help your prospects both in and out of Korea.

Then again, when you hear about things such as the gym at Hongdae banning foreign students, (and once the management became aware, they made it pretty clear that it's not their problem) it shows that Korean Universities aren't really interested in foreign students for their diversity, just as a means to raise their prestige.

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:41 am »
I have been thinking about this.

We are assuming that they are looking to attract westerners.

What if they are looking to attract upper-middle-class students from within Asia - the ones who could afford to come to Korea, but not to a US or British school.

There might actually be a niche for that.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:59:37 am »
Is this an attempt to ease the Korean public into accepting mass immigration? The government puts out these trial balloons, and sees how it's received?

Just a thought...

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:45:15 am »
I have been thinking about this.

We are assuming that they are looking to attract westerners.

What if they are looking to attract upper-middle-class students from within Asia - the ones who could afford to come to Korea, but not to a US or British school.

There might actually be a niche for that.

That's my guess. Most of the international students I've met are from China, and the ones who aren't are from central Asian countries like Uzbekistan or a couple of other random countries like Nepal or Iraq.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 09:38:51 am »
I know someone in an exchange program at one of the Korean upper-crust science/technology schools. Since it's a semester or two program for foreigners, the classes have to be provided in English. They said it was obvious that most of the profs weren't all that comfortable giving a lecture in English.

I will not be surprised if the same happens.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 11:16:50 am »
Foreign students is big business.

The potential to charge much higher tuition rates is huge.

Heck, back in '94 my grad school stepped up its foreign student recruiting because the faculty decided it was a way to increase its contribution to the university's general budget (hence greater sway in the decisions when funds are dispersed to departments).