^
Let CT pretend to teach lesson.
touche, touche...!

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD
« Reply #523 on: October 13, 2015, 03:02:15 pm »
My old CT's would make amazingly good lessons that incorporated the things I continually pester them about, ie student centered learning, etc. They would only do these for their open classes, and never for the regular classes.

The reason they let me not do them is that other than the dishonesty thing, I said to them that I can't do it to the students because the students will go home and tell their parents that the lessons where different. Then all the parents just think I'm dishonest, and I don't want that. The next open class they didn't even tell me about.

« Reply #524 on: October 13, 2015, 03:17:39 pm »
It was fun last year seeing my super lazy co-teacher bomb during our open class together when she had to pretend teach! Couldn't properly lead her section and messed up the activity directions, derailed the lesson, couldn't spit out a complete sentence in English, etc. She must have realized how ludicrous it was when we planned it together when she kept designating specific lines and portions to herself when in reality she rarely said a word in our regular classes.

With my other co, we have to spend an insane amount of time planning and rehearsing our open class lesson to an empty classroom. I think last year we "discussed" and "planned" for no less than 10 hours. I'm not kidding. Every free period we had for at least a week was spent obsessing over our lesson, even AFTER we had discussed it to death in the previous weeks. And then of course she also derailed the whole thing when it was time to "perform."

We have three open classes coming up in the next few weeks and I want to die.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #525 on: October 13, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »
How 'bout a complaint that has nothing to with with teaching or Korean culture?

I hate that most music-related gear is so damned expensive here. I play guitar and bass, and shopping around for stuff I almost always find stuff going for at least MSRP, sometimes even more. I understand why imported goods are often pricier, of course, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.  :laugh:

My rule of thumb seems to be if it'd cost me less to order the item from overseas, import, and pay customs on it than it would cost me to buy it in Korea, then I just don't buy that thing.

Luckily I do find some nice deals from time to time, so it's not a total wash. Actually, I've probably saved a fair bit of money by not being able to find some things I might have otherwise bought for a reasonable price, haha.

Anyone else have any hobbies that are annoyingly expensive here?

« Reply #526 on: October 13, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »
^

THIS :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ugh, so true.

During one of mine last year, the teacher tried to teach the class for the first time all year and told me to just stand at the back of the room. Not even sit at my desk or go somewhere else, but to just stand like a cigar store person of native descent at the ass-end of the room where parents couldn't see me but I would still be "helping." Backfired when the kids kept turning around and asking me what to do because she was so thick they could barely understand her even in Korean. REALLY backfired when one of the mothers asked me- in perfect English- if that was representative of a typical class and I blurted out, "of course not, that was ridiculous" and she laughed and said that she had thought as much.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #527 on: October 13, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »
^

My CT just told me we were going to be having an open class soon and handed me a fully prepared class outline of the class she was going to teach that day.  I normally teach a conversation class that period, but she's changing it so she's predominantly the one teaching.  She already has an entire 50min lesson plan, yet she wants me to plan an activity for 20-25min that I'll do?! :huh:  Like....what's even the point? 

I mean, not that I'm going to really complain* about not having to do an open class entirely on my own, but the fact that I'm normally 100% responsible for my lessons and am usually complimented on them by my CTs is something I take a bit of pride in.  To have the rug yanked out from under me and have me be turned into a puppet is a bit irksome.

Aaaaaand I didn't even realize it was annoying me so much until I just sat and typed all that out. :laugh:
*so by that I mean I totally am.

« Reply #528 on: October 13, 2015, 05:39:15 pm »
How 'bout a complaint that has nothing to with with teaching or Korean culture?

I hate that most music-related gear is so damned expensive here. I play guitar and bass, and shopping around for stuff I almost always find stuff going for at least MSRP, sometimes even more. I understand why imported goods are often pricier, of course, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.  :laugh:

My rule of thumb seems to be if it'd cost me less to order the item from overseas, import, and pay customs on it than it would cost me to buy it in Korea, then I just don't buy that thing.

Luckily I do find some nice deals from time to time, so it's not a total wash. Actually, I've probably saved a fair bit of money by not being able to find some things I might have otherwise bought for a reasonable price, haha.

Anyone else have any hobbies that are annoyingly expensive here?

I hear ya, brother. Other than ludicrous prices, most guitar shops have no idea how to sell a guitar either. At one of the shops, in the Seoul music arcade, I was interested in an EJ signature strat and a USA deluxe. The sales guy flat out refused to let me try it before buying it. He didn't want any fingerprints on the guitar. I even took the cash out of my wallet to show I was serious on buying, he didn't budge and insisted I had to blow over 2mil on a guitar without testing it... WTF?

Following month, I spent a week in Japan and bought my strat there, much cheaper, way better customer service and I was able to negotiate for a better price and some goodies.

For any serious musicians, that's exactly what I'd recommend; get a cheap plane ticket to Japan and hook yourself up.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #529 on: October 13, 2015, 05:54:27 pm »

Following month, I spent a week in Japan and bought my strat there, much cheaper, way better customer service and I was able to negotiate for a better price and some goodies.

For any serious musicians, that's exactly what I'd recommend; get a cheap plane ticket to Japan and hook yourself up.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind. There are some tasty Japan-exclusive ESPs I wouldn't mind taking for a test drive.

Last time I went home during summer vacation, I took the opportunity to buy a new bass (Fender USA Tony Frankly fretless), a new head (Aguilar Tone Hammer 500w), and a new cab (MarkBass 2x10), and just got a flight case for the bass, a suitcase for the cab, put the head in my carry on bag (micro heads ftw!), and brought it all back with me on the plane.  :laugh:

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #530 on: October 14, 2015, 09:34:56 am »
Kakao Talk notifications that aren't muted.

Your phone barely leaves your hands all day so why do you need that annoying sound?

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #531 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:23 am »

Your phone barely leaves your hands all day so why do you need that annoying sound?

Nothing compared to the god damned cool messenger popping up CONSTANTLY in the middle of the lesson/class etc...

I have the notification sound turned off on my machine, but the teachers don't seem to thing the one we use for lessons is a problem.

You know, Kids need to be interrupted and distracted by a loud sound and a pop up over the middle of stuff, and of course they need to be told abut the latest Soju products and fashion.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #532 on: October 14, 2015, 09:50:17 am »

And now coming to you in your once peaceful taxi rides.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #533 on: October 14, 2015, 10:49:40 am »

Nothing compared to the god damned cool messenger popping up CONSTANTLY in the middle of the lesson/class etc...

I have the notification sound turned off on my machine, but the teachers don't seem to thing the one we use for lessons is a problem.

You know, Kids need to be interrupted and distracted by a loud sound and a pop up over the middle of stuff, and of course they need to be told abut the latest Soju products and fashion.

There's gotta be a setting where you can disable the banner popups...

Aaaaaand there is!
  • Click the settings wheel
  • Select "Settings"
  • Under "Settings" tab, you can disable both the taskbar flashing (which I don't mind on my personal computer) as well as choose to "Block pop-up window after login" which I'm going to assume is the banner flagging up in the lower corner when you get a message.
  • Under the "Sound" tab, you can uncheck the box for "Apply sound effect" to potentially disable all sounds

Just did this on mine, so I'll let you know whether or not it's effective as my day goes on.  :laugh:

• jomi
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2015, 02:07:46 pm
« Reply #534 on: October 14, 2015, 11:20:49 am »
Low level students in 5th grade that won't write anything without having support through the whole writing task and won't talk unless guided through? Better leave that to the NET as I float around the classroom doing FA doing the absolute minimal amount of assistance possible.

I reason why there's kids in 5th grade who barely have a grasp on the alphabet is I lead the lesson, I lead all the activities, I have to move on from one activity to the next as the majority of students finish to keep the class flowing but the low level students that require assistance are not sat near each other, and are ignored by the KT who's role in the lesson is to assist lower level students.
Unless I've misunderstand her job role and she is merely in my classroom to walk about, have next to no input in the class and do basically nothing

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #535 on: October 14, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
You know, I honestly come to school every day determined to have a good day, and determined to try and be positive about living here, and then every single day something annoying happens and it just tears me down again, it's impossible to be happy here  :undecided:

+1111111111111111111111111111111  :lipsrsealed:

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Bucheon
« Reply #536 on: October 14, 2015, 11:50:25 am »

There's gotta be a setting where you can disable the banner popups...

Aaaaaand there is!
  • Click the settings wheel
  • Select "Settings"
  • Under "Settings" tab, you can disable both the taskbar flashing (which I don't mind on my personal computer) as well as choose to "Block pop-up window after login" which I'm going to assume is the banner flagging up in the lower corner when you get a message.
  • Under the "Sound" tab, you can uncheck the box for "Apply sound effect" to potentially disable all sounds

Just did this on mine, so I'll let you know whether or not it's effective as my day goes on.  :laugh:

I have that on my computer already, but it doesn't stop the pop up notification from showing a message every time a message is sent to you.

at least the sound is gone, and the ad
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• khalavala
  • Expert Waygook

• July 31, 2014, 06:13:40 am
    • Toronto
    more
« Reply #537 on: October 14, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »
Will they ever stop notifying us of things last minute? I just got told that we're going to some school to watch a volleyball game at 2:40, then we have a dinner at 5. I already have things to do, you cannot just tell me things like this DAY OF. If it was something optional, that's still annoying but that's another situation. When it's something like hwaysik you can't do that because there's an unspoken rule that you have to be there. I asked my co "when did you find out about this?" and she said just this morning, so I said "why do they think it's okay to notify us of things like this last minute? It's not okay." and she's just like ohh..

Do these people not have any respect for their own personal time? They just blindly do whatever their superiors tell them to do, whether or not they already had plans.

This was a regular pattern at my school and finally I said it is disrespectful to notify people of things last minute where I come from and shows a lack of professionalism. I haven't been invited anywhere since but that might be because there hasn't been any teacher meetings. But I hope they keep in mind what I told them.

edit: I read your following post and the same is true for me since starting my second contract. I am having second thoughts about signing for a second year. Currently I am looking for opportunities elsewhere in China and Japan.

• jamonamagnet
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2015, 10:09:26 am
    more
« Reply #538 on: October 14, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »
Will they ever stop notifying us of things last minute? I just got told that we're going to some school to watch a volleyball game at 2:40, then we have a dinner at 5. I already have things to do, you cannot just tell me things like this DAY OF. If it was something optional, that's still annoying but that's another situation. When it's something like hwaysik you can't do that because there's an unspoken rule that you have to be there. I asked my co "when did you find out about this?" and she said just this morning, so I said "why do they think it's okay to notify us of things like this last minute? It's not okay." and she's just like ohh..

Do these people not have any respect for their own personal time? They just blindly do whatever their superiors tell them to do, whether or not they already had plans.
You don't have to.

If something comes up after hours just say "I'm sorry, I have plans."  That's it.  It's that easy.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Bucheon
« Reply #539 on: October 14, 2015, 12:46:52 pm »
Actually you do have a choice.

You do NOT have to go to after school activities, and if it's a volleyball game, and not actually a school function, you can option to just sit at the school by yourself until 4:40.