Read 13161 times

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• June 24, 2013, 07:27:22 am
    • South Korea
Thread for unreasonable dislikes.
« on: July 06, 2015, 07:59:13 am »
Last week there were a fair few gripe threads started. I enjoy a good rant as much as the next chap but they can get pointless very quickly. They seem to go this way: OP posts about some aspect of Korea that is annoying. Others pile in some try to explain. Things get bitter. Someone gets a tad melodramatic in their defense of Korea and others get vicious in their attack. Eventually 2 people lock eyes and start the great quote, re-quote and misquote game. Thread dies from dullness.

Still, it's Friday Monday (sorry all) and it's a hot day so I want something to leech out the poisons. Therefore I suggest we admit what we post is not defensible. This is not a place to write about things that affect you like public hygiene, deskwarming, bad driving or annoying colleagues. This is a thread to gripe safely in the knowledge that you are completely in the wrong. Let's embrace our pettiness.

For me it's the existence of green tea ice cream. It gets me every time. I'm in a mart doing getting some groceries and as I pass the freezers something catches my eye. It looks like a green cone. I know it's probably green tea but maybe, just maybe, it's mint choc chip or, even better, pistachio.

My heart quickens and I start to move towards it. My inner smart guy tells me not to get my hopes up and prepare myself for yet another let down. The optimist pipes in and reminds me that 3 years ago there was indeed pistachio cones. I bought them all and they were never seen again. Maybe they're back!?. The storm rages inside as I approach the freezer. It's a humid day and the glass has frosted over. I pull aside the lid, reach in and grab the object of my desires. I turn it around........

It's green tea. Green. Fecking. Tea.

There is no light any more, no joy to be had. All must perish

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:49:46 am by englishrose »

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
Re: Thread for unreasonable dislikes.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:15 am »

Still, it's Friday and it's a hot day so I want something to leech out the poisons.

It's Friday already?

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:12:20 am »
It's Friday?

Unreasonable gripe? Did you have this typed out all weekend?

p.s. green tea is delish.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:18:45 am »
Green tea tastes like grass clippings.

It is entirely reasonable for me to dislike it.

• 외계인
  • Expert Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:29:20 am »
I believe the OP was referring specifically to Friday threads that are often locked by mods, for whatever reason. Not that today is in fact, Friday.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:32:52 am by 외계인 »

• Tinsley
  • Veteran

• February 06, 2015, 05:52:22 am
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:31:59 am »
I had a red bean ice cream yesterday and reached the conclusion that red bean is not something to be eaten cold.

More on the unreasonable side: I hate soda. And beer. I hate everything carbonated. It's my secret shame.

(but really, green tea is delish though)

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:50 am »
I believe the OP was referring specifically to Friday threads that are often locked by mods, for whatever reason. Not that today is in fact, Friday.

Nice let off.

• 외계인
  • Expert Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:43:48 am »

Nice let off.

Huh?  I was just suggesting to those who seemingly overlooked that possibility.

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:14 am »

Nice let off.

Huh?  I was just suggesting to those who seemingly overlooked that possibility.

Thank you for your brave assistance. It was in fact a dumb mistake. No clever agenda there. Edited it.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:58:05 am »
Cars parked on the pavement.
I realise that the roads here are narrow, and that car parks are about as rare here as decent freakin' sushi, but some days I just want to ride past on my bike with a big set of key and make some lines!
Also, people not using their blinkers enfuriates me. Sometimes I just want to run smack into them with my bike. That'll show 'em!  >:(

Another? Red bean paste. Ever since I first encountered buns filled with that azuki crap looong ago in Japan, it has surprised and disappointed me countless times.
Chocolate? Nope.
Chocolate? Nope.
Chocolate? Hahaha. No.
Maybe this time? ****. Nope.
 >:( >:( :cry:

And finally: my students greeting me with "Nice to meet you!" after having seen me nearly everyday for 3 years... for [insert name of deity here]'s sake, "Nice to SEE you!"

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:52:48 am »
My unreasonable dislike is driving to Homeplus or Emart and heading in to park and seeing all of the Koreans backed into their parking spot.

It has no effect on me whatsoever really, but I think it's so astonishingly stupid.

1) You have to drive backwards at some point, either parking or leaving.

2) When you come out with your cartload of stuff, invariably it's got to go in the back. So you have to pull out and throw all your stuff in the trunk or hatchback and then get on your way.

Why not drive in? Then you can just go up to your wheels, throw the stuff in the back, hop in back out and drive away.

I don't get it and it drives me nuts even though it rarely gets in my way. Occasionally I have to wait while someone loads up. But to me it's a very basic common sense issue. You gotta back up at some point. Backing into the spot makes more work and blocks the drive out.

Why?
Hail Caesar

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
My unreasonable dislike is driving to Homeplus or Emart and heading in to park and seeing all of the Koreans backed into their parking spot.

It has no effect on me whatsoever really, but I think it's so astonishingly stupid.

2) When you come out with your cartload of stuff, invariably it's got to go in the back. So you have to pull out and throw all your stuff in the trunk or hatchback and then get on your way.

Why not drive in? Then you can just go up to your wheels, throw the stuff in the back, hop in back out and drive away.

I don't get it and it drives me nuts even though it rarely gets in my way. Occasionally I have to wait while someone loads up. But to me it's a very basic common sense issue. You gotta back up at some point. Backing into the spot makes more work and blocks the drive out.

Why?

It's far safer when exiting a space to be driving straight out for the simple reason that you can see what's happening easily. I reverse park in, but I don't go close enough to the wall/car behind to stop any access. Loading the car is also safer due to the fact that you're not stood in the road.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
I dislike it when people denounce other posters for posting in or starting negative threads, especially while they're doing so themselves. I think it's symptomatic of the needlessly aggressive and competitive attitude that expats in Korea have towards each other, and I'm so happy to move on to a new country next month and leave all this cruelty and in-fighting behind.

I also dislike seafood.

P.S. Green tea and red bean anything is delicious!

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
Last week there were a fair few gripe threads started. I enjoy a good rant as much as the next chap but they can get pointless very quickly. They seem to go this way: OP posts about some aspect of Korea that is annoying. Others pile in some try to explain. Things get bitter. Someone gets a tad melodramatic in their defense of Korea and others get vicious in their attack. Eventually 2 people lock eyes and start the great quote, re-quote and misquote game. Thread dies from dullness.

Still, it's Friday Monday (sorry all) and it's a hot day so I want something to leech out the poisons. Therefore I suggest we admit what we post is not defensible. This is not a place to write about things that affect you like public hygiene, deskwarming, bad driving or annoying colleagues. This is a thread to gripe safely in the knowledge that you are completely in the wrong. Let's embrace our pettiness.

For me it's the existence of green tea ice cream. It gets me every time. I'm in a mart doing getting some groceries and as I pass the freezers something catches my eye. It looks like a green cone. I know it's probably green tea but maybe, just maybe, it's mint choc chip or, even better, pistachio.

My heart quickens and I start to move towards it. My inner smart guy tells me not to get my hopes up and prepare myself for yet another let down. The optimist pipes in and reminds me that 3 years ago there was indeed pistachio cones. I bought them all and they were never seen again. Maybe they're back!?. The storm rages inside as I approach the freezer. It's a humid day and the glass has frosted over. I pull aside the lid, reach in and grab the object of my desires. I turn it around........

It's green tea. Green. Fecking. Tea.

There is no light any more, no joy to be had. All must perish

One time, for a party I bought a hagen dazs icecream cake - you know the ones you find in 7-11. Cut it open to find green tea inside. I died. I complained the rest of the night and the better part of a week - and then made my own ice-cream cake. Which my friends all devoured.

BUUUTTT When I was in Boseong two weekends ago I had green tea ice cream there and it was really light and tasty. It must just be the commercial crap that's awful?

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 10:04:06 am »

Why?

Also:
This is not a place to write about things that affect you like public hygiene, deskwarming, bad driving or annoying colleagues. This is a thread to gripe safely in the knowledge that you are completely in the wrong. Let's embrace our pettiness.

• AndyKanerva
  • Super Waygook

• February 23, 2014, 08:43:23 am
    • Gangwon-DO
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 10:06:40 am »

Why?
I always back in when parking for one very basic reason: in a parking lot the most common cause of accident is backing out and having someone hit your car. I am a cautious driver but some people are not and won't notice the butt of my car inching out. I do it for the simple added comfort of leaving the spot safely.

My biggest gripe lately is the silly language rules that Korean English teachers are ALL taught and pass on to their students. Rules like curling your tongue to make an R sound, despite that making their Rs sound like Ls. I did a whole section on how to make the R sound and L sound to my 4th graders, and then my CT just explained in English with her hands that you need to curl your tongue backwards when making an R sound. WHY?! Who originally taught them that? It sounds wacky.
Also, the students at my main school are pretty poorly behaved. It makes me unnecessarily angry when I'm in my office, minding my own business and they come in before class and shout 'HELLO ANDY TEACHER!' My office is in my class but walled off. They sometimes sneak up on me... UGH. Also, I hate when my students are unusually early for class and I have to go and watch them.

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:18 am »
When I read the OP I didn't understand how this thread could be anything but a 'Things I hate about Korea' thread.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:36 am »
Page 1 and it's already descended to "Things that suck about Korea/Koreans". Here we go again.

Thanks for proving my point! :D

We ARE allowed to dislike things about Korea, or even Koreans. It's for unreasonable gripes. There's no stipulation in the OP that they cannot be about Korea.

People are laughing at themselves when they say they're being unreasonable when they're annoyed by red beans or parking craziness. They are being neither racist nor offensive.

PLEASE CAN WE ALL JUST GET OVER THIS SORT OF THING?!?!? Think of the old Sara Lee ad: "Everybody doesn't like something." Just live with that!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:15:58 am by meepmoopimmarobots »

• englishrose
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 10:40:27 am »
To clarify.

This thread can be about Korea or anything else. The common point is that it should be petty and unreasonable.

For example. Parking on the street doesn't qualify as it is a valid complaint on something that can impact you (safety etc). The reversing into the parking spot does qualify as it's not a problem for the poster but it just gets to him.

Let's reboot this: I was giving the TV show " the Whispers" a try and it was OK for the most part. One of the characters is a young girl called Minx. When they say her name it just drives me nuts. I forget all about the plot and start shouting at my screen about bad parenting and decent names for children. It just takes up all my focus and ruins the show for me.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:16 am »
adults squatting on the sidewalk