Read 1368 times

Extra classes, longer hours....same pay? Need advice!!!
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:19:35 am »
Hello fellow Waygooks!

So...my school has just asked me to take a small conversation class after school...no surprises there, I did something similar last year.

Now I already have 22 in class hours during the week, and am aware that I will be entitled to overtime for the conversation class. I have it four days a week. Again, no biggie.

The thing is, though. Last year my supplementary class was during the 7th class, which is within 8 hours of me arriving. This year, it's in a magical new '8th class' slot that I have never been informed existed before. I have been told for the past 7 months that school starts at 8:20am and finishes at 4:20pm. 8 hours, including lunch. Pretty standard. My contract outlines 8 hours a day, Mon-Fri.

I have just been informed that this conversation class is between 4:25 and 5:10pm.

Now I'm not particularly happy about staying till 5:10 four days a week, especially as I was given only 1 days notice about the class (and the same amount of time to prepare 35 lesson plans for it).

My first question:

Am I within my rights to request that the supplementary class gets bumped back to the 7th class? 95% of the teachers leave at 4:20, and this is when I was informed school finished.
Is the 8 hours in the EPIK contract inclusive of lunch, or can they turn around and say that lunch doesn't count as a contracted hour? Do you, my fellow EPIK workers, have lunch included in your 8 hour working day?

My second question:

Last year, I was paid my regular salary by the council for my regular classes, but I was paid by my school for my supplementary classes -even though they were within the 22 hours outlined in my contract, and within the regular school hours (8:20am - 4:20pm).
Does anyone else get paid by their school for supplementary classes that fall within the EPIK contract?
It seems to me that I'll be getting the same weekly amount this year, even though I am working more in class hours, AND staying longer at school.
If we get paid by the council for out regular classes and by the school for the supplementary classes we do, am I entitled to ask for overtime ON TOP of what the school would pay me for the supplementary classes?

I really don't want to increase my in-class hours to 26 hours and stay late four days a week for the same amount of money as I was getting last year.

I'm not sure how to bring this up with my co-teacher.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I'm really not sure what I'm entitled to in this case. Has anyone else encountered a similar situation?

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
Re: Extra classes, longer hours....same pay? Need advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:32:42 am »
You are obligated to receive compensation on whatever is not on your contract.  if you contractually work 22 hours a week and this puts you at 26 than they owe you overtime for it.  In regards to korean labor laws, you always have the right to say NO to overtime, though this might annoy your employer.  Annnd yes, you can make this class part of your work hours as part of your negotiation to teach this class.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• Trybus
  • Waygookin

• November 17, 2010, 09:16:44 am
    • Michigan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:09 am »
Question #1)

Lunch is included in the 8 hour work day.  So, your school couldn't tell you to work until after 4:20 because of lunch.

You could always request that your new class be bumped back.  You can't really demand it, but you do always have the right not to teach it.  Anything after 4:20 or beyond 22 classes (before or after 4:20) is totally your choice.

Question # 2

Typically, anything within the 22 hours and 8 hour work day is fair game for the school.  So I'd say you were pretty lucky before.  I'm gonna teach a club after school, but it's before 4:30 and within my 22, so I won't get paid extra.  And it's a bummer, but you're not entitled to overtime pay beyond the pay for the class.  So if you teach this class at 4:25, the contract says you'd get 20,000 won.

The only exception I can think of is teaching something at the request of your MOE or POE.  Last semester, my school got an official document asking if their native teacher wanted teach an extra class.  The document said it was a total of 30 hours at 20,000 won/hour.  I did it, and even though some of that class ended up falling within the 22 classes and 8 hour work day, I still got paid overtime.

Good luck with everything!

• korean68
  • Explorer

• January 16, 2011, 04:08:55 pm
    • yeonggwang
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:47 am »
Do it if you want to do it. If you want to do it but just if you get money do it. If you don't want to do it if your not getting money then don't do it.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:09:59 am »
I've heard of a few schools who have taken advantage of their foreign native teachers and expect them to do extra classes for free but I agree, it's in your contract for you to receive compensation so you're well within your rights to approach them. :)