• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:09:35 pm by madison79 »
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Re: What do you think of this comment?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:01 am »
If you're the one replying in that comment, I think you're being oversensitive. Like it's not the best of jokes, but its very clearly something directed specifically at Michelle Obama so you've clearly made a really big jump in thinking that it's racist. Not only that, she's a prominent public figure. People are gonna joke about their various attributes like people joke about how insane Nick cage looks sometimes or sarah jessica parker looks like a horse. It's a part of life. Your life is gonna be really hard if you get offended at every little thing.

Chill out. It seems like you're going out of your way to inject racism into a shitty joke.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:37 am »
If you're the one replying in that comment, I think you're oversensitive. Like it's not the best of jokes, but its very clearly something directed specifically at Michelle Obama, so you've apparently made a really big jump in thinking that it's racist. Not only that, she's a prominent public figure. People are going to joke about their various attributes like people joke about how insane Nick Cage looks sometimes or Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse. It's a part of life. Your life is going to be hard if you get offended at every little thing.

Chill out. It seems like you're going out of your way to inject racism into a shitty joke.

Maybe you don't know this but calling her a man has been part of the Rep campaign against the Obamas.  I was a shitty joke, but it does have racial undertones that many might not understand.  It's specifically just only towards black woman.

Also, I don't get offend at things.  Shit, I laughed at a person who said he was going to shaggy my mom.  Good luck with that. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:33 pm »
I'm confused. When you say "specifically just only towards black women", do you mean that it's only ever black women who are compared to men? Because that is really inaccurate.

People in the public eye will always be compared to something they're not, be it the opposite gender, horses, Mr Potato Head or Shrek. That doesn't mean there are racist undertones.

Heck, one of my best friends, who is white, blonde and blue eyed was called "Dolph" for years because she bears a really strong resemblance to Dolph Lundgren.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:11:30 pm »
I don't really understand why this is even being posted here.  Are you looking for other internet strangers to commend you for your comments on a different social media site?? 

Or, since this is clearly on Facebook and happened between you and someone on your friend's list, either remove them and get on with your life or ignore it.  It's just a poor attempt at humor.  I also totally agree with Giantorange that this comment isn't racist.  Sexist and degrading?  Sure.  But the comment has nothing to do with race.  You just sound butthurt by trying to escalate things with your racism and politics.  People say dumb sh*t online every day; not worth getting bent out of shape over.

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »
Speaking as a colored dude....i think it's a bit of a leap to call that racial..
He made an a-hole remark for sure,(i dont think Michelle looks at all manly)  but it didn't make me think there were any racial undertones to it..
'Black women look like men' isn't something i can say i have ever heard...
Particular people perhaps,(the buff Venus twins jump to mind) but not 'black women'.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:05:10 am »
Particular people perhaps,(the buff Venus twins jump to mind) but not 'black women'.

Do you mean the Williams sisters, i.e. the American tennis players? I've heard people frequently call Serena a man due to her extremely muscular physique, but I don't think I've heard Venus get called that -- or if she does get called that, I think she seems to get it less frequently than Serena does (she has a less muscular figure compared to Serena). Also, FYI, they're not twins.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:11:11 am by Mezoti97 »

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• USA
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:18:19 am »

Do you mean the Williams sisters, i.e. the American tennis players? I've heard people frequently call Serena a man due to her extremely muscular physique, but I don't think I've heard Venus get called that -- or if she does get called that, I think she seems to get it less frequently than Serena does (she has a less muscular figure compared to Serena). Also, FYI, they're not twins.

Ah, you are right---Williams, not Venus sisters, and not twins.
I don't follow tennis at all and am more familiar with them by name and Drake songs than anything else.
but I thought they were twins for some reason, so I assumed they'd get the same remarks.
   but I definitely have heard the Williams name come up when talking about manly chicks.
I don't see how race has anything to do with that though. 
As you said, Serena is pretty jacked

• ConservativeCat
  • Adventurer

• December 04, 2014, 06:30:40 am
    • Changwon
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:01:39 am »
I think the OP made a bad joke and the guy who was replying decided to bring race into it because the object of the joke happened to be black.

OP isn't funny and the replier is overly senstive. I didn't really think race until the replier brought it up from pretty much no where.

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:58 am »
You didn't delete your own name from the thread where he/she replies to you, by the way.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:24 am »
Personally, I don't see this as either racist or sexist. It's rude, sure, but I also happen to think Michelle Obama is really pretty and elegant looking. I'm positive everyone has their own opinion regarding all things in life, so why not this too?

Also, women being compared to men is nothing new regardless of race. If you're a woman who is taller, bigger, athletic or lanky/without curves you'll most likely be called manly, boy'ish or an Amazon at some point in your life!

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:38 pm »
I think the OP made a bad joke and the guy who was replying decided to bring race into it because the object of the joke happened to be black.

OP isn't funny and the replier is overly senstive. I didn't really think race until the replier brought it up from pretty much no where.
OP is the replier--you can see in the picture that he/she is actively typing a response .

Personally, I don't see this as either racist or sexist. It's rude, sure, but I also happen to think Michelle Obama is really pretty and elegant looking. I'm positive everyone has their own opinion regarding all things in life, so why not this too?

Also, women being compared to men is nothing new regardless of race. If you're a woman who is taller, bigger, athletic or lanky/without curves you'll most likely be called manly, boy'ish or an Amazon at some point in your life!
Yup, this goes both ways with slimmer or more effeminate men being called girly or weak.  Gender rolls, ammirite?  :rolleyes:

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:32 pm »
Not crazy. It's enough of a stereotype (specific: black women -> not feminine) that people have analyzed and written academic papers about it. I am not black, but all I needed to do was google and this kind of stuff pops right up, so I don't know why people on here are making like the OP is just overly sensitive.   :undecided:

https://contemporaryfamilies.org/the-unfeminine-mystique/
http://www.asktheharvardmba.com/2012/06/03/why-are-black-women-considered-unattractive/

"Don't Panic"

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• USA
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 04:17:59 pm »
Not crazy. It's enough of a stereotype (specific: black women -> not feminine) that people have analyzed and written academic papers about it. I am not black, but all I needed to do was google and this kind of stuff pops right up, so I don't know why people on here are making like the OP is just overly sensitive.   :undecided:

https://contemporaryfamilies.org/the-unfeminine-mystique/
http://www.asktheharvardmba.com/2012/06/03/why-are-black-women-considered-unattractive/

I can literally google just about anything and something will appear. People write papers and articles on the most innocuous of things.
No one said that people never think of black women as manly--but from the looks of the responses, it doesn't seem to be that commonly known of a thing. 
I appreciate where the OP's heart was at, but yea..i think he may need to recalibrate his sensors a bit if that was the FIRST thing that popped into his head when he read that comment. 
I'm biracial (half black) and didn't feel a hint of racism there...at least not enough to openly call out and accuse someone of being a racist.

And those are interesting links you provided, but that single comment that guy made wasn't enough to gauge his intent/beliefs. The perceived femininity and attractiveness of black women is a deeper discussion that shouldn't pop up just because a guy calls one black woman 'manly'. There's nothing racial about that in and of itself.

I'll be the first person to call out a racist when I see one, but I think these days, people keep looking for 'the hidden meaning' behind everything.
There's a lot of stupid in this world.  Stupid people say stupid things, and stupid things don't have much meaning.  This was a clear case of that, imo.