Read 2445752 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #10580 on: Yesterday at 10:10:00 am »

I was on Kor(over)Share on Friday and noticed some interesting chat happening on the sidebar. Some topics I saw the users have broached in the classroom just from one hour of scrolling:

Divorce
Silent shaming over gender
"Sneaking in" a picture of a man in a dress
Black hair
Discipline over the n-word / racial slurs

*Disclaimer: I am against racial slurs and would not accept them in the classroom. However, I have not heard any racial slurs in my classroom so I can't comment on my specific reaction to them.

I'm curious if waygook.org teachers incorporate their personal views in the classroom, especially in Elementary / Middle schools like some of our colleagues over there seem to do.
I know these topics wouldn't necessarily be 'controversial' in some of our home countries schools, but they are arguably quite controversial here.
How far would you go regarding the slur situation or when kids 'laugh' at gender? I'm not certain that screaming at the kids in English, silent shaming them, or sitting in silence would resonate.

« Reply #10581 on: Yesterday at 10:22:54 am »
I remember I was on a teaching in Korea subreddit once and one teacher had been asked to dress up as a Native American for Thanksgiving. I can understand someone not wanting to do it, for political reasons or otherwise, but most of they Redditors were encouraging the teacher to loudly take a stand and make a big deal out of it, and lecture the school on why it would be offensive.
Beyond Inappropriate

« Reply #10582 on: Yesterday at 10:35:39 am »
Further evidence the woke mentality s akin to religion- Now we have to evangelize the natives to adopt our beliefs and it is our duty to do so. If they don't convert, they must be punished. Now some the new arrivals might have a point on, just like human sacrifice, but others...

Colonialist trash mentality. Used to be the left understood the non-interference mindset, not anymore.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:41:00 am by JonVoightCar »

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #10583 on: Yesterday at 10:43:55 am »
How far would you go regarding the slur situation or when kids 'laugh' at gender? I'm not certain that screaming at the kids in English, silent shaming them, or sitting in silence would resonate.

I believe most of them teach elementary over there, so I agree these solutions wouldn't really do anything in terms of behavior correction at that age. Are the students who can barely say 'I like pizza' going to understand why you are silently glaring at them or screaming at them?

I avoid these situations by focusing on teaching English and not bringing controversial topics like gender or sexuality into an ESL classroom. I don't think it's our place to do so and disagree with those who do so. The same goes for other heated and personal topics like politics and the like. I actually find it disturbing that a number of NETs seem to be devoted to doing so.

As for the slurs, I would expect the Korean teacher to address that, even if I have to outline why its wrong for them. Ideally they would step in on their own, more likely they would translate for me. Unless you are fluent in Korean (and I mean fluent), delicate topics like this can get lost or misunderstood.
Even if it may be gratifying for some in the moment, going irate and screaming at them probably isn't going to help them understand why it's wrong and may end up having the opposite effect.

• ToilingAjumma
  • Super Waygook

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
« Reply #10584 on: Yesterday at 10:52:19 am »
I avoid these situations by focusing on teaching English and not bringing controversial topics like gender or sexuality into an ESL classroom. I don't think it's our place to do so and disagree with those who do so. The same goes for other heated and personal topics like politics and the like. I actually find it disturbing that a number of NETs seem to be devoted to doing so.

Right? Why would I teach gender? Our lessons are he/she to teach the does vs do grammatical point. The West hasn't even agreed on "they" culturally yet so why the f would I impart that onto 7 year old Asian English learners?????

Sneaking a boys can wear dresses into a lesson reeks of "I'll save them, I'll save them alllllll" hero main character syndrome. It's nauseating.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10585 on: Yesterday at 01:21:31 pm »
the divorce thing is kind of whatever, probably not the GETs topic to touch on but at least learning about stepwhatevers actually has a function. the bit about "i tried discussing black hair once" is straight up delusional lmao, like why the f would they care? that person absolutely needs to get over themselves.

n-word usage is bad and i obviously dont think its devoid of malice in every context, but people should still be cognizant enough to not overreact to it the way they would in the states. i dealt with it a bit in one of my schools and just treated it like a particularly bad swear word. definitely didnt make the class sit in silence or anything. might merit talking to the student out in the hall/individual punishment, considering the political climate in the states nowadays if a student is comfortable saying it and theres even a 0.01% chance they'll set foot in the US itd probably be best to put a stop to it early, lol.

anyways yeah avoiding sensitive subjects is best overall. at the end of the day we are guests in this country. unfortunately we're so embroiled in our own politics that its easy to forget that many countries outside of the states are to the right of even republicans, and that we can't reasonably lecture them the same way we would our own populace.

• ToilingAjumma
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #10586 on: Yesterday at 01:30:18 pm »
but people should still be cognizant enough to not overreact to it the way they would in the states.

Like when those uni students did the Ghana pallbearers cosplay and painted their faces black.

They're 18yo Korean kids from Uijeongbu. They're not waltzing around saying "Imma unedumacated slave. Where's mah mastah? Yessum." Look, if you don't LIKE IT, fair enough but to say the kids are these huge racists, like what? They're copying, as close as they can, to one of the biggest memes of that year. Their faces may be black, but they're not "doing blackface." Again, if you want to explain how they come off to your average American (and yes, it's virtually ONLY Americans) then go ahead but stop pretending that they're massive racists. It's not helpful.

« Reply #10587 on: Yesterday at 01:39:26 pm »
Like when those uni students did the Ghana pallbearers cosplay and painted their faces black.

They're 18yo Korean kids from Uijeongbu. They're not waltzing around saying "Imma unedumacated slave. Where's mah mastah? Yessum." Look, if you don't LIKE IT, fair enough but to say the kids are these huge racists, like what? They're copying, as close as they can, to one of the biggest memes of that year. Their faces may be black, but they're not "doing blackface." Again, if you want to explain how they come off to your average American (and yes, it's virtually ONLY Americans) then go ahead but stop pretending that they're massive racists. It's not helpful.

100% this. I don't understand why Americans want to export their poor race relations to other countries. The Koreans weren't the ones enslaving Blacks, so why should they have to be educated about it?
Beyond Inappropriate

« Reply #10588 on: Yesterday at 01:44:51 pm »
Their faces may be black, but they're not "doing blackface." Again, if you want to explain how they come off to your average American (and yes, it's virtually ONLY Americans) then go ahead but stop pretending that they're massive racists. It's not helpful.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #10589 on: Yesterday at 01:54:48 pm »
Her comment wasn't "Americans are the only ones doing blackface", it's "Americans are the ones who have the strongest reactions to it". (Correct me if I'm wrong Toils!)

I mean, if Trudeau doing brownface got the reaction it did, imagine what would happen if they discovered the hundreds of actual blackface cases marching along in the Saint Nicholas Parade over in Dutchie-land every year!   :shocked: 

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:56:39 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #10590 on: Yesterday at 02:00:10 pm »
hundreds of actual blackface cases marching along in the Saint Nicholas Parade

Nice try, they are doing 'sooty' faces  :wink: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/18/netherlands-ban-blackface-makeup-zwarte-piet-black-pete-christmas-parade

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #10591 on: Yesterday at 02:03:04 pm »
Touche!

• ToilingAjumma
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #10592 on: Yesterday at 02:33:13 pm »
Soot comes from the industrial revolution and therefore patriarchy.

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #10593 on: Yesterday at 04:32:13 pm »
I was on Kor(over)Share on Friday and noticed some interesting chat happening on the sidebar. Some topics I saw the users have broached in the classroom just from one hour of scrolling:

Divorce
Silent shaming over gender
"Sneaking in" a picture of a man in a dress
Black hair
Discipline over the n-word / racial slurs

Quality post.  That site is a rat's nest of mental illness and daddy issues.

If you're ever bored one afternoon, jump in the chat and say something like "men can't be women" and then ask them what they think of JK Rowling.

« Reply #10594 on: Yesterday at 08:18:35 pm »
Where do I sign up for this website? It sounds pretty great.
Beyond Inappropriate

« Reply #10595 on: Today at 04:47:27 pm »
Cold one tomorrow boys and girls. Where I live, -14 is forecast for 7am and staying well below 0 all day. I'll have to dust off the winter woolies  ;D