Read 2331100 times

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #10080 on: June 24, 2022, 12:29:35 pm »
In South Korea?

No, in Japan. I moved last week.

« Reply #10081 on: June 24, 2022, 12:32:26 pm »
To take selfies, GAWD CO2 LeArN 2 R#AD

But Van said "Doing 50 in a 70 km maximum zone.. is reasonable, isn't it?"

It really isn't. If you're too scared to drive SEVENTY km.h then you shouldn't have a licence.

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #10082 on: June 24, 2022, 12:33:06 pm »
To take selfies, GAWD CO2 LeArN 2 R#AD

Thank you! It's called being deliberately obtuse...or just plain taking the piss outta Van.

Edit: ok,it was the second.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:44:26 pm by Rye »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10083 on: June 24, 2022, 12:43:48 pm »
If you're too scared to drive SEVENTY km.h then you shouldn't have a licence.
Probably shouldn't have a license either.  :P

« Reply #10084 on: June 24, 2022, 12:45:39 pm »
Probably shouldn't have a license either.  :P
You leave me incenced, good sir.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #10085 on: June 24, 2022, 01:24:06 pm »
In South Korea? I can't recall a single 70 sign. Nor in Canada. No in my drives through stats to California then eastward to New York. Nit a single "70" sign. Is your home town unique? (And you mistakenly project it here Rye?)

there are plenty of 70 zones around pohang.  like someone said, when transitioning from hwy to local roads.  its the 30 zones that are nuts to me.  everyone literally doing 60, then slamming on their brakes to do 30 through an intersection because theres a camera there,   30 is too slow for 3rd gear in my car. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10086 on: June 24, 2022, 02:00:45 pm »
You leave me incenced, good sir.
Well, so long as it was concencual!

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #10087 on: June 24, 2022, 02:20:26 pm »
there are plenty of 70 zones around pohang.  like someone said, when transitioning from hwy to local roads.

Yeah, Van's got cat fur up his nose and it's playing havoc with his mind  :smiley:. Plenty in my neck of the woods, too.

« Reply #10088 on: June 24, 2022, 02:29:58 pm »
Yeah, Van's got cat fur up his nose

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #10089 on: June 24, 2022, 03:46:40 pm »
I do have cat fur up my nose! And on my shirt and on my shoe. Long-haired Persians and Angoras shed like crazy in early summer, and my drycleaned work clothes are like magnets: i have literally minutes after they are unwrapped before hairs arrive.

I still have no recollection of a 70 km/hr zone here. I'll keep a look out for them now. 30, 50, 60... 80 on the highway to Jinju (my automatic tranny kicks into top gear at about 88 and so the car whines at a higher rpm when i try to go  80 (it cruises at about 56 and 88; inbetween it works OT and loudly!)

I think 40 and 70 zones in Korea are like UFO sightings: if you've seen them, you believe they exist.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:48:38 pm by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #10090 on: June 24, 2022, 05:26:41 pm »
The mountain road near me is a 40 zone. Annoying cos there's always one old person on it driving at around 25km/h.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #10091 on: June 24, 2022, 08:02:31 pm »
70 is fairly common. I think most roads that are 70 now, used to be 80 a couple of years ago. Speed limits are being lowered on a lot of roads.
40 is definitely less common but can be seen here and there if you drive to new places regularly.

And guess what, there is 90 as well.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #10092 on: June 24, 2022, 08:17:42 pm »
90 is standard in much of my home country and apparent in Jeollanamdo (though not in Gyeongsangnamdo: 80 on secondary highways, 100 on the expressways).
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #10093 on: July 01, 2022, 08:53:59 am »
I wasn't planning on going anywhere this summer vacation, but I think I might have to. I need a break away from everything and everyone. Like total isolation. I don't know if this is due to burnout or something else, but yeah.

Any good camp locations that aren't bombarded by other vacationers?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #10094 on: July 01, 2022, 09:04:37 am »
I wasn't planning on going anywhere this summer vacation, but I think I might have to. I need a break away from everything and everyone. Like total isolation. I don't know if this is due to burnout or something else, but yeah.

Any good camp locations that aren't bombarded by other vacationers?
Anywhere without the Internet.
Leave your phone at home.

Maybe rent/take a car and go along the South, Southwest coast. Plenty of nice beaches to camp waaay less crowded than on the East coast and on Jeju.

Go somewhere you've never been and haven't researched the heck out of. The joy of discovery!

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #10095 on: July 01, 2022, 09:07:42 am »
The mountain road near me is a 40 zone. Annoying cos there's always one old person on it driving at around 25km/h.

They don't pull over and let you pass?  That's pretty rude.  Most folks back home on a country road farting along would pull over when they can and let the other cars pass.
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #10096 on: July 01, 2022, 09:32:18 am »
They don't pull over and let you pass?  That's pretty rude.  Most folks back home on a country road farting along would pull over when they can and let the other cars pass.
I've often noticed Korean drivers are oblivious to those behind them but very considerate to those ahead of them (eg., approaching head-on without two lanes, requiring one or the other to pull over - back home drivers are much less tolerant of what's in front of them: "GET THE F*** OUT OF MY WAY!" is heard often).

« Reply #10097 on: July 01, 2022, 09:50:31 am »
I biked in the literal gutter on a country road and I had 6 cars behind me. No oncoming traffic, sunny sky.

Just............ Fuccing go around. I don't understand. I REALLY DON'T. Just fuccing pass me, JFC.

I'm really pressing for my stepdaughter to THINK CRITICALLY rather then FOLLOW RULES AT ANY GIVEN COST. Use your brain, think about what you're doing. Stop worrying about the "way to do things."

As much as I love my GF, when I do something she doesn't like, she'll say "people don't do that" which is about the most Korean thing you can imagine.

I've told her "If you just tell me that it annoys you, it would be 25 times more effective in me thinking about changing my behaviour. I'm REALLY not concerned with what 'other people do or don't do.'"

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #10098 on: July 01, 2022, 10:32:19 am »
I biked in the literal gutter on a country road and I had 6 cars behind me. No oncoming traffic, sunny sky.

Just............ Fuccing go around. I don't understand. I REALLY DON'T. Just fuccing pass me, JFC.

I'm really pressing for my stepdaughter to THINK CRITICALLY rather then FOLLOW RULES AT ANY GIVEN COST. Use your brain, think about what you're doing. Stop worrying about the "way to do things."

As much as I love my GF, when I do something she doesn't like, she'll say "people don't do that" which is about the most Korean thing you can imagine.

I've told her "If you just tell me that it annoys you, it would be 25 times more effective in me thinking about changing my behaviour. I'm REALLY not concerned with what 'other people do or don't do.'"

Korea has gone off the deep end.  As recently as 2015 I had Koreans tell me: "It's Korea, you don't have to follow the rules."  Now everyone is an extreme rule hog.  What the hell happened?  Did this place get taken over by German settlers in 1946?  "Do as we say!" 

I am always telling kids when they get a green light at the crosswalk not to just walk because most do.  I tell them look both ways and don't trust cars.  That should just be common sense. 

Actually, I think there is encouragement for people to spy on each other and report on each other because of limited civil liberties.  Spying and snitching which traditionally got large backlashes in North America seems to have no shame here.  Snitches don't get stitches here.  So people pull up an app and send off a photo.  Even a few foreigners have done it here.  I hope they go home and do this  and get caught by some fellow citizens being a rat.  They'll learn fast to shut up and mind their own business.  No one likes a rat! 

Something changed in this culture very recently.  Not quite the social credit score in China or the corporate credit scores that made every business leave Russia, but this enforced compliance has enslaved the Korean mind and changed them from a largely free relaxed people who did as they pleased.  the old Korean attitudes I loved, that along with ajosshi and ajumma "speak your mind" and get mad sometimes when something pissed you off was great.  Folks here were real.  This place fit me like a glove. 

I remember when I first got here I had to go to another city to do an overnight camp and that other education office paid me some money for it.  I had only been here for a couple of months.  I was with the supervisor at night drinking a beer.  He was telling me about respect for your seniors and all that.  I just blurted out like a Korean back then and said what was on my mind.  I said "You have to give respect to get respect".  I think he was kind of surprised and shocked but respected me for speaking my mind.  I moved to another city and he became my supervisor.  He actually ended up liking me and going easier on me than others.   He had a reputation for being strict.  When he moved to another job he even friended me on Facebook.  He did not do this to any other foreign teacher.  I use to get told "I was very Korean" in some ways.  But now I feel like new Korea is some kind of culture shock.  It's like some parts of Germany you hear about where every little rule is followed strictly like a religion.  (That kind of mindset does make people compliant and ripe for a dictatorship takeover.  Not good at all.)  My point to this side story is that folks were way more chill than they are today.  It's really annoying to drive behind these follow every regulation and rule types. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #10099 on: July 01, 2022, 10:34:33 am »
Korea has gone off the deep end.  As recently as 2015 I had Koreans tell me: "It's Korea, you don't have to follow the rules."  Now everyone is an extreme rule hog.  What the hell happened?  Did this place get taken over by German settlers in 1946?  "Do as we say!" 

For context....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aisU05ph3IY