Read 1865785 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #9800 on: October 14, 2021, 02:45:17 pm »
One of my biggest regrets when building my custom rig 6 years ago is that I didn't throw the extra 50 bucks at an i7 over an i5. It hasn't really been an issue, but I am running into a few issues now when running playing a strategy game and getting obscene turn times. My system is still hanging in there but it is getting long in the tooth, especially with graphics. My graphics card really hums on Total War games (although oddly I can get great performance on NBA2K series or Tropico 6 or some others. But yeah, I won't be able to play the FF7 Remake PC version or some others at full detail until I get that new card, and probably an i9 and I think that means a new motherboard which might well mean new RAM which at that point basically means new rig.

F these crypto people.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

« Reply #9801 on: October 14, 2021, 02:57:40 pm »
Cheers!
RTX 3080, 16GB of RAM (debating upping it though), 2 500GB m.2 HDs, Ryuzen 7 5800x, Msi mag b550m mortar.

Welcome to the 3080 club!

• Renma
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #9802 on: October 15, 2021, 09:34:53 am »
One of my biggest regrets when building my custom rig 6 years ago is that I didn't throw the extra 50 bucks at an i7 over an i5. It hasn't really been an issue, but I am running into a few issues now when running playing a strategy game and getting obscene turn times. My system is still hanging in there but it is getting long in the tooth, especially with graphics. My graphics card really hums on Total War games (although oddly I can get great performance on NBA2K series or Tropico 6 or some others. But yeah, I won't be able to play the FF7 Remake PC version or some others at full detail until I get that new card, and probably an i9 and I think that means a new motherboard which might well mean new RAM which at that point basically means new rig.

F these crypto people.

Yeah, I bought my graphics card in 2017 for around $270 iirc. The same card is selling for $600-800 today. Prices are crazy.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9803 on: October 15, 2021, 03:15:55 pm »
I made my first beer and it tastes good

« Reply #9804 on: October 15, 2021, 03:17:49 pm »
I made my first beer and it tastes good

Congrats! What type of beer is it?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9805 on: October 15, 2021, 03:28:44 pm »
Golden Ale. Brought it in for my co-workers. Hadn't even tasted it yet so we had it together. It's a hit.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9806 on: October 17, 2021, 12:52:19 am »
This forum is still the same boring repetition.

I question how I spend 30 minutes or so on here once in a while but some of you seem to empty minutes/hours into this bottomless pit over weeks and months.
A pointless rambling. And on Friday.

On point.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:54:04 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #9807 on: October 17, 2021, 02:49:49 pm »
Just loving this cool weather today. Clear blue sky, and sunshine. I feel so energized. My wife's working for a friend today, so I made a huge pot of minestrone soup, cleaned the house top to bottom, took out all the rubbish, and drank two pots of coffee.
The only problem is that my baguette dough hasn't risen much due to the cooler temperatures, so into the oven on low heat at the moment. Crispy baguettes (I hope) and soup for dinner.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #9808 on: October 18, 2021, 07:59:05 am »
I feel so energized ...
and drank two pots of coffee.

That may explain it :)

It sounds like a good day. Productive relaxing.
How did the baguettes turn out?

« Reply #9809 on: October 18, 2021, 08:13:10 am »
drank two pots of coffee.

What's that 14 cups of coffee?!

How are you still alive?

« Reply #9810 on: October 18, 2021, 08:22:18 am »
Just loving this cool weather today. Clear blue sky, and sunshine. I feel so energized. My wife's working for a friend today, so I made a huge pot of minestrone soup, cleaned the house top to bottom, took out all the rubbish, and drank two pots of coffee.
The only problem is that my baguette dough hasn't risen much due to the cooler temperatures, so into the oven on low heat at the moment. Crispy baguettes (I hope) and soup for dinner.

Sounds divine!
Would love to know your minestrone soup recipe :D  *if you wouldn't mind posting it that is! (pretty please)

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #9811 on: October 18, 2021, 10:31:44 am »
more gg more skill

« Reply #9812 on: October 18, 2021, 11:05:30 am »
How did the baguettes turn out?

They tasted great, and were really crispy. But all were a little misshappen. Getting the perfect baguette is a real challenge for me.

What's that 14 cups of coffee?!
How are you still alive?

Haha! Yeah, I should of said that the pot is a 3 cupper, not a large size. I usually drink 1 pot a day, but yesterday I was really in a coffee mood. Slept well too!

Sounds divine!
Would love to know your minestrone soup recipe :D  *if you wouldn't mind posting it that is! (pretty please)

Minestrone is my favorite soup by far (although I am a bit of a soup fiend in general), and always tastes great.
Here's my recipe.

Minestrone Soup (This makes about ½ a dozen large servings)

Dice all vegetables into whatever size chunks you prefer.

# 1/2 -1 cup red kidney beans (soaked for 8 hours if dried)
# ½ - 1 cup navy beans/any dried bean
# 1 cup green beans
# 2-3 stalks celery
# 3-4 leeks
# 1 large onion
# ½-1 carrot
# Tomatoes (skin or no skin) (5-6 large ripe/40 small cut in half)…or 1@ 700ish gram can
# 1 can of condensed tomato soup ( ½ if using canned tomatoes with juice)
# a couple of good handfuls of shredded spinach
# Mixed herbs
# Chicken stock (from a small boiled chicken, boiled for 2 hours, and fat skimmed)
# 1-2 Tsp salt and Ό Tsp pepper (best to add a little and add more in individual servings)    *Note teaspoon, not tablespoon.

# 40 grams of macaroni and 1diced frank style sausage or 2 strips of bacon in    individual servings

•   Sautee all vegetables (a little charring is good) and beans in olive oil before adding to simmering stock
•   Simmer for 2-2 ½ hours, topping up with water as required.
•   2 or 3 times, after the beans have been added, stir the bottom of the pot as the beans can stick. This can happen in a stainless steel pot.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:09:53 am by Kurt Sorensen »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9813 on: October 18, 2021, 01:36:22 pm »

I am waiting for the purple turnips (rutabegas) to show up in stores.  Will start making stews in the winter, though I miss the real large sized orange yellow turnips.  Much better.  But beggers can't be choosers.  I always add those shabu shabu thin sliced beef chunks too.  Add veggies and bobs red mill soup fillers with arrowroot flour and some other spices in a slow cooker.  Keeps me a few meals. 

As for the colder weather this past weekend, it was like a Canadian East Coast October.  Reminded me of home.  Well, somewhat like it until the weather really cools off by the 3rd and 4th week and takes on a more slightly frigid feel to it rather than just cool.  But going from the hottest October to the coldest is pretty extreme.  I think gradually normal October weather for Korea will return and is slowly returning.  Maybe 20 or 21 daytime high and dry.  Perfect weather.  Cool at night.  I can keep my air con off now.  It use to be dry and warm from the 3rd week of September, but it seems the humid gross weather stays until mid October the last few years.  It's just the heat was so much more intense this year.  I will be glad not to see any more of that garbage for at least 6 to 7 months.  (Of course the last few springs have been disappointing too.  Here's to hoping normal weather returns.  Spring use to be lovely in Korea.) 

« Reply #9814 on: October 18, 2021, 01:59:44 pm »
Will start making stews in the winter, though I miss the real large sized orange yellow turnips.  Much better. 

Me too, I love those turnips, especially with mashed with potato. Shame I've never seen them here.
I have already got my casserole steak in the freezer, ready for some hearty meals. Xcut blade from Mr.Cow (I know, slightly off-puuting name), delivered cut and frozen.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9815 on: October 18, 2021, 02:05:16 pm »
Me too, I love those turnips, especially with mashed with potato. Shame I've never seen them here.
I have already got my casserole steak in the freezer, ready for some hearty meals. Xcut blade from Mr.Cow (I know, slightly off-puuting name), delivered cut and frozen.

You have a special site for beef you order from?  I assume better deals than the stores?  Casserole made with steak you mean?  Sounds good.  I got to get me some good recipes.  I should try to make sheppards pie.  Haven't had in years. 

« Reply #9816 on: October 18, 2021, 03:48:50 pm »
You have a special site for beef you order from?  I assume better deals than the stores?  Casserole made with steak you mean?  Sounds good.  I got to get me some good recipes.  I should try to make sheppards pie.  Haven't had in years.

Yeah, the butchers name is 'Mr Cow'. The cut of steak is called 'cross cut blade'. I order it from Coupang, and yes, I'm talking about stews/casseroles. Cross cut blade is a great muli-purpose cut, but best for slow cooking.
Cheaper...probably, but way more convenient getting it precut (either 200 gram or 500 gram frozen and sealed packs. I order 2 kg at a time, and I think its around 70,000 won (maybe cheaper).

Edit: not 70,000 won. It's 50,000 won.

As for the Shepherds pie, I haven't had one ever in korea. You need minced lamb or mutton (mutton is too strong for me). These days, I think you can get minced lamb from some Halal butchers. Others would know for sure. However, making a cottage pie is easy. You just need minced beef as a base, rather than lamb.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:37:59 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #9817 on: October 18, 2021, 04:02:18 pm »
Yeah, the butchers name is 'Mr Cow'. The cut of steak is called 'cross cut blade'. I order it from Coupang, and yes, I'm talking about stews/casseroles. Cross cut blade is a great muli-purpose cut, but best for slow cooking.
Cheaper...probably, but way more convenient getting it precut (either 200 gram or 500 gram frozen and sealed packs. I order 2 kg at a time, and I think its around 70,000 won (maybe cheaper).

Isn't that 부채살? Costco sells it for around 15.000/kg. That's for the whole piece. The slices are more expensive.
Like you said: excellent for slow cooking. Stews and such.

« Reply #9818 on: October 18, 2021, 04:32:33 pm »
Isn't that 부채살? Costco sells it for around 15.000/kg. That's for the whole piece. The slices are more expensive.
Like you said: excellent for slow cooking. Stews and such.

I'm actually not sure of the Korean, but you'd probably be right. It's the cut with the gristle running through the centre. If you get a piece that has little gristle, then it's also good in a pan, on skewers, or on the BBQ. Very versatile.

15.000 for a whole piece sounds great. Costo does have some fantastic meat bargains. My son-in-law bought me a huge pack of thick fillet steaks (like 10 cm thick) for 70,000 not so long ago, at Costco. The same, would have cost me more than 200,000 in a supermarket. I'll get him to check the xcut out for me, next time he goes.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #9819 on: October 18, 2021, 06:27:16 pm »
I'm actually not sure of the Korean, but you'd probably be right. It's the cut with the gristle running through the centre. If you get a piece that has little gristle, then it's also good in a pan, on skewers, or on the BBQ. Very versatile.

15.000 for a whole piece sounds great. Costo does have some fantastic meat bargains. My son-in-law bought me a huge pack of thick fillet steaks (like 10 cm thick) for 70,000 not so long ago, at Costco. The same, would have cost me more than 200,000 in a supermarket. I'll get him to check the xcut out for me, next time he goes.

Yepp, that's the one.
I meant 1kg is 15k, and that entire piece of cut is vacuum packed. Typically around 3kg each. So it would be around 40-45k for the package. Some fat needs to be trimmed away but still much better deal than the sliced version of the same cut, which is easily 30% more expensive.