Read 1873138 times

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #9780 on: October 12, 2021, 07:46:32 am »
I've only watched through episode 3 so far anyways. Her nemesis does go a bit hard on the badass gangster guy vibe, but he does have a few scenes that sort of justifies it. You probably won't like either character if their style is your particular pet peeve, personally I don't notice them as much since there's so much louder/more annoying performances going on, lol

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #9781 on: October 12, 2021, 08:06:58 am »
Yes, the overacting. Something to be expected when it comes to Korean movies. Somehow the actors think they are in a drama set. The crazy ajumma surely didn't get the memo.
The girl from the North was operating with one face throughout the whole series. I was rooting for her to finally be able to close her lips together but it never happened.
The main character also thought he is in a K-drama. Although he had some better moments.

It's annoying that no matter how dark or serious a movie is, there is always at least one character who is mildly retarted/dumb/clumsy. It can ruin an entire movie because you started to watch a thriller but suddenly it seems like a comedy.

Squid Game was entertaining but definitely not because of the acting.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9782 on: October 12, 2021, 08:46:14 am »
Yeah, the girl from the North was probably my favorite character simply because she didn't do very much. Most of the time she was onscreen it was a bit of relief from all the noisy clown acting that some of the others were doing. In the first episode, Gi-hun delivers nearly every line of dialogue in that whiny tone where they draw out the final vowel, in between making Scooby Doo noises when he's surprised or scared. I realize that this is probably intended to convey emotional immaturity, but man, is it annoying to watch.

It's annoying that no matter how dark or serious a movie is, there is always at least one character who is mildly retarted/dumb/clumsy. It can ruin an entire movie because you started to watch a thriller but suddenly it seems like a comedy.

Na Hong-Jin is one of my favorite Korean directors. Three of his movies (Chaser, The Yellow Sea and The Wailing) all have scenes where a group of men are being chased down the street, waving their hands around and making cartoon frightened baby noises. Like literally just going, "Waaah! Waaaah!" with all the restraint of Jim Carey in the 1990s. Really annoying.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 12:08:32 pm by fka »

« Reply #9783 on: October 12, 2021, 09:21:51 am »
Na Hong-Jin is one of my favorite Korean directors. Three of his movies (Chaser, The Yellow Sea and The Wailing) all have scenes where a group of men are being chased down the street, waving their hands around and making cartoon frightened baby noises. Like literally just going, "Waaah! Waaaah!" with Jim Carey faces.

You find this kind of ham acting in J-dramas too (wife loves them) e.g.

A love confession isn't a love confession unless it's,

"ore wa..... ore wa... suki desu!!!"

said with plenty of teeth clenching and trembling.

Japan is where a lot of Korean cinema and television originally drew its inspiration from and emulated.
Loved Squid Game, but I agree, the acting was way too ham for my taste. Worst scene was the protagonist flailing around on the ground complaining how cold he was.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9784 on: October 12, 2021, 12:22:07 pm »
Rain on a holiday day off can be something to rant about.

On the bright side, Tuesday school air con broke since renovations last summer.  They will wait till next year to fix.  It was too hot the last few weeks here.  So, cool here today.  My other schools air cons still work so when it gets hot again for a short period, it will workout fine. 

Still it was annoying that it was stayed hot this year this long.  Waiting for summer to finally be over.  Maybe this weekend or next week? 

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9785 on: October 12, 2021, 01:05:43 pm »
My new computer finally arrived. My co-teacher managed to get a hold of the delivery company, and they lost it for a second time, or "lost" it.
Have to check after work if it is working. As the 2nd attempt the computer showed up but had a damaged mobo or psu and wouldn't get power.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9786 on: October 13, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »
Went in to get glasses' lenses replaced since a fall last week scratched them.

They replaced only one saying both scratches were there, and charged just 25,000 won (no added taxes or fees, included the polychromatic autotint which becomes sunglasses in sunlight).

Another great low price for some goods and most services here (2000 won for bandages, 15 000 won new windshield wiper with installation, 10000 won haircut, etc.)

« Reply #9787 on: October 13, 2021, 01:54:43 pm »
Went in to get glasses' lenses replaced since a fall last week scratched them.

They replaced only one saying both scratches were there, and charged just 25,000 won (no added taxes or fees, included the polychromatic autotint which becomes sunglasses in sunlight).

Another great low price for some goods and most services here (2000 won for bandages, 15 000 won new windshield wiper with installation, 10000 won haircut, etc.)

What happened? And are you okay? Falls seem to have a bit more crunch to them as you get older.

Yes, new lenses are very reasonably priced, although my haircut went up to 15,000 won 6 months ago.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9788 on: October 13, 2021, 02:29:03 pm »
What happened? And are you okay? Falls seem to have a bit more crunch to them as you get older.

Yes, new lenses are very reasonably priced, although my haircut went up to 15,000 won 6 months ago.

This could be a new game.  How did VanIslander fall and break his glasses?  Nice.

My guess is after a couple of bottles of the finest Majuang Vino, he was role playing as editor of The Port Alberni newsroom when he tripped over sports writer Feline J. Cat (winner of nine Buckeye News Hawk Awards) as he rushed to get in a hot item before the deadline.

« Reply #9789 on: October 13, 2021, 02:54:33 pm »
This could be a new game.  How did VanIslander fall and break his glasses?  Nice.

My guess is after a couple of bottles of the finest Majuang Vino, he was role playing as editor of The Port Alberni newsroom when he tripped over sports writer Feline J. Cat (winner of nine Buckeye News Hawk Awards) as he rushed to get in a hot item before the deadline.

Hahaha! Excellent!

As Van Islander hasn't replied, let the guessing game begin.

I'm going to say it had to of happened getting in or out of the Korando, while one or both of his cats got under his feet.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9790 on: October 13, 2021, 03:02:13 pm »
I think he was getting on the subway, for one of those "once in a half-decade" subway trips he makes.

The doors closed on him, he wasn't expecting it and he went tumbling to the ground.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9791 on: October 13, 2021, 09:42:33 pm »
....I'm going to say it had to of happened getting in or out of the Korando, while one or both of his cats got under his feet.
Close.

I was walking and showing someone my cats on my smartphone in my left hand when I tripped on one of those raised yellow light boxes on the yellow paint of one of the three new rotaries (circle roads) in town. As I was falling I turned my hand inward to save my phone and ended up cutting up three knuckles with deep gashes, taking the brunt of my fall. If I didn't have my phone, my palm would have saved my knuckles from being gouged out. There will be scars. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:49:11 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #9792 on: October 13, 2021, 10:10:54 pm »
Close.

I was walking and showing someone my cats on my smartphone in my left hand when I tripped on one of those raised yellow light boxes on the yellow paint of one of the three new rotaries (circle roads) in town. As I was falling I turned my hand inward to save my phone and ended up cutting up three knuckles with deep gashes, taking the brunt of my fall. If I didn't have my phone, my palm would have saved my knuckles from being gouged out. There will be scars. Oh well.

Yesss! I win the box of chocolates.

Bad luck. As long as you're relatively alright. You could have easily broken your wrist. Anyway, scars (and muscles) maketh the man, or so some say. My high school French teacher disagreed with me.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9793 on: October 14, 2021, 01:01:21 pm »
Might no longer be Friday ramblings.  Suppose to finally cool down tomorrow or start in that direction.  Enough with humid and hot weather already.  Will be nice to finally be able to turn off the air con.  Saturday and beyond will be nice.  Though overnight weekend might go down near 0 which is kind of extreme.  Most other nights from next week more reasonable. 

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #9794 on: October 14, 2021, 01:14:51 pm »
Good news: the 4th attempt at getting my computer to me was the golden one.
My new pc is up and running, even got windows 11 on it :D

« Reply #9795 on: October 14, 2021, 01:15:31 pm »
Good news: the 4th attempt at getting my computer to me was the golden one.
My new pc is up and running, even got windows 11 on it :D

Congrats!
Specs?

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #9796 on: October 14, 2021, 01:33:41 pm »
Congrats!
Specs?

Cheers!
RTX 3080, 16GB of RAM (debating upping it though), 2 500GB m.2 HDs, Ryuzen 7 5800x, Msi mag b550m mortar.

« Reply #9797 on: October 14, 2021, 01:49:49 pm »
Cheers!
RTX 3080, 16GB of RAM (debating upping it though), 2 500GB m.2 HDs, Ryuzen 7 5800x, Msi mag b550m mortar.
Hi. Please respond with your address and I will send you free RAM and absolutely NOT come over and steal your graphics card due to the GPU crunch.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #9798 on: October 14, 2021, 01:57:44 pm »
Hi. Please respond with your address and I will send you free RAM and absolutely NOT come over and steal your graphics card due to the GPU crunch.

yeah right?

Cheers!
RTX 3080

hey kayos! **** u bro.  >:( jk im just jealous. im still gaming on an rx480. enjoy dude! :)
more gg more skill

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #9799 on: October 14, 2021, 02:09:30 pm »

123 Pelican street, Sydney, Australia (real street name in Sydney, no idea if 123 on said street is real :P ).