Read 1762874 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #9500 on: July 19, 2021, 08:31:59 am »
This is not typical. Have you seen English camps at schools where there's no foreign teacher? The K-teachers are teaching English during this time.

I've never seen a school in Korea do a camp except for the English camp with the foreign teacher.
At all the schools I've worked in, if there is no foreign teacher for camp, they just don't do camp.
Even when I worked in a much bigger city (I'm in a tiny middle of nowhere area now), my school just told me to keep the students entertained for camp.

Surprisingly, the big city school gave me a budget of 0won for camp, my small rural school gives me 150k won per camp for the budget. Usually that budget doesn't go far, as a lot of my students love art, so I always try to do something art related, and art supplies are crazy expensive; as well as a (simple) cooking/baking day. I think this summer camp I used 145k of the budget, for 20 students, for 1 week of camp.

« Reply #9501 on: July 19, 2021, 08:42:49 am »
Most Korean teachers Iíve encountered are hard working and take teaching seriously. Exceptions are rare. Iíve walked in on a couple English camps taught by a K-teacher and what they were doing was teaching English.

The day I walk in a camp class to see a Korean teacher taking the opportunity to address the massive deficiencies in phonics, pronunciation or how to hold a freakin' pencil I'd call it teaching.

What they're doing is attempting to maximise the odds of their students passing a written test.
What they're doing is placating to the parent's outdated and layman understanding of what education should be.
What they're doing is accruing as many points as possible towards promotion.

They work hard at doing these things. If English education was taken seriously, teacher unions would push to reevaluate the curriculum instead of bullying legislators to keep teachers who fondle their students from getting "unfairly" dismissed.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #9502 on: July 19, 2021, 11:51:22 am »
I've never seen a school in Korea do a camp except for the English camp with the foreign teacher.

I've seen a Korean English teacher do English camp twice (though both times where when I was also teaching camp at that school) - first time, we worked together (she was the contract English teacher): she taught half the classes, and I taught the other half. The theme was fairytales; students had to read/learn the story (usually a basic one they already knew), then change some of the elements, write a short script, storyboard it, then take roles and learn the play before performing it.

The second time was at my current school - I taught camp in the morning, and a regular Korean English teacher taught a sort of "remedial English" camp after me, going back over the chapters from the first half of the year with students who needed it (and maybe signed up?).

« Reply #9503 on: July 19, 2021, 05:30:52 pm »
They look like they taste like the newer "Twix TOP" bar that is a grainy bland crunch... with a thin layer of chocolate on top.

Yuck.
They were very bland and very hard. I had to bite them with my molars, I didn't want to risk my incisors. They were something akin to ship's biscuits from the Age of Sail but more palatable. Not very sweet but there was a slight sweetness which means they aren't totally biscuit/hard-tack like. Exactly what I was looking for, but probably not everyone's cup of tea. They did fill you up in the way that only iron rations can.

« Reply #9504 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:57 pm »
They sound like great dunking biscuits with a nice cup of tea.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9505 on: July 22, 2021, 10:10:13 am »
Did a Zoom Summer Camp class today. Subject was humour.

Student: What happens when you mix a cow, a bird and a mouse together?

:police: HAAAAAAAAA, I know. But let the class guess.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: Hmmmmmmm, what?

Student: 소새쥐

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: --->  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #9506 on: July 22, 2021, 10:25:59 am »
The day I walk in a camp class to see a Korean teacher taking the opportunity to address the massive deficiencies in phonics, pronunciation or how to hold a freakin' pencil I'd call it teaching.

What they're doing is attempting to maximise the odds of their students passing a written test.
What they're doing is placating to the parent's outdated and layman understanding of what education should be.
What they're doing is accruing as many points as possible towards promotion.

They work hard at doing these things. If English education was taken seriously, teacher unions would push to reevaluate the curriculum instead of bullying legislators to keep teachers who fondle their students from getting "unfairly" dismissed.

This, this this !!!!!! I wish I could upvote.

« Reply #9507 on: July 22, 2021, 12:14:23 pm »
Did a Zoom Summer Camp class today. Subject was humour.

Student: What happens when you mix a cow, a bird and a mouse together?

:police: HAAAAAAAAA, I know. But let the class guess.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: Hmmmmmmm, what?

Student: 소새쥐

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: --->  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'd be the kid who said "A flying Ratotaur. Neutral Evil alignment. An attempt by a maddened wizard to add bravery to the Rat-Men race that resulted in their....hey let me finish!"

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9508 on: July 22, 2021, 12:20:51 pm »
I'd be the kid who said "A flying Ratotaur. Neutral Evil alignment. An attempt by a maddened wizard to add bravery to the Rat-Men race that resulted in their....hey let me finish!"

How you're not a mod yet, I'll never understand.
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #9509 on: July 22, 2021, 12:32:56 pm »
How you're not a mod yet, I'll never understand.
Have patience. Kyndo's Reign of Terror is only going to last so long. His demise is already being plotted.

Actually, I'd say the same about you? I'm surprised you haven't moved on Generalissimo Kyndo and ushered in a Glorious New Regime.

I say Kyndo's greatest mistake has been his failure to employ minions to increase his grip on power. He does it all by himself and thus he stands alone.....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:35:37 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #9510 on: July 22, 2021, 12:40:30 pm »
Well it's fabulous that you chaps still have ambition!

« Reply #9511 on: July 28, 2021, 11:50:06 am »
Scheduled to get my first shot on Friday, really excited about that.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9512 on: July 29, 2021, 02:16:40 pm »
Scheduled to get my first shot on Friday, really excited about that.

Got my first yesterday.  Now, on to number two and the worse symptoms in a few weeks, and then hopefully freedom to travel in the new year. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #9513 on: July 29, 2021, 03:20:52 pm »
Got my first yesterday.  Now, on to number two and the worse symptoms in a few weeks, and then hopefully freedom to travel in the new year. 

I hope that they get some standards in place for certificates soon!

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9514 on: July 29, 2021, 03:23:04 pm »
I hope that they get some standards in place for certificates soon!

Yeah, I was wondering what they are going to do about that?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #9515 on: July 29, 2021, 04:52:19 pm »
Yeah, I was wondering what they are going to do about that?

It is a mess.

I work in Egypt with an international team.

The EU has a system with QR codes, but I donít think they are readable for verification outside of the EU.

The US has a standard form, and some (not all) states have QRs that are readable from anywhere.

Egypt requires QR codes, but doesnít put them on the certificate unless you ask for it, and I am told it takes visits to two government offices to get it! They also donít have lot numbers on the certificate.

There was a story in the news about Malta not accepting Indian-made AstraZeneca  based on lot numbers, so apparently this is important.

I have my second AZ dose scheduled for next month. Depending on what my (Egyptian) certificate looks like, I might do a quick trip to NY to get a QR coded J&J shot.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #9516 on: July 30, 2021, 07:08:05 am »
whats up pooplords and poopladies, your boy gloob is VAXXED. out here with my 5g finally enabled
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:57:54 am by Kyndo »
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9517 on: July 30, 2021, 07:16:52 am »
whats up shitlords and shitladies, your boy gloob is VAXXED. out here with my 5g finally enabled
Emitting all over the electromagnetic spectrum, but still not any brighter. *sigh*  :sad:

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #9518 on: July 30, 2021, 07:21:10 am »
im emitting all over all kinds of spectrums
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9519 on: July 30, 2021, 07:26:39 am »
im emitting all over all kinds of spectrums
Nice!  :laugh: