Read 1514137 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #8940 on: January 12, 2021, 08:46:03 am »
Hoping to get accepted into an accelerated post-bacc program to get a degree in Computer Science, and transition into the IT field somewhere. Fingers crossed.

Oh nice! I actually done my bachelors in Computer Science, but my major within that became a dead career path around the 60 - 75% mark (a little after half way through, but not quite 3/4s through), and then I transitioned into ESL teaching haha.
I'm not sure I'll go back into IT when I'm done. I've been thinking of other things I'd like to do, and I have a few ideas in mind, but no idea which I'd like to pursue haha.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #8941 on: January 12, 2021, 09:46:03 am »
Oh nice! I actually done my bachelors in Computer Science, but my major within that became a dead career path around the 60 - 75% mark (a little after half way through, but not quite 3/4s through), and then I transitioned into ESL teaching haha.
I'm not sure I'll go back into IT when I'm done. I've been thinking of other things I'd like to do, and I have a few ideas in mind, but no idea which I'd like to pursue haha.

For all I know I'll end up crawling back to ESL with my tail between my legs, but I had to give something else a shot. I hope I'm successful, because this job has really been breaking me down.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #8942 on: January 12, 2021, 10:09:36 am »
For all I know I'll end up crawling back to ESL with my tail between my legs, but I had to give something else a shot. I hope I'm successful, because this job has really been breaking me down.

It can do that. I love 2/3 of my current schools, the one I'm not happy with will likely be changed this year though (as it's a travel school), however, I get really bored here and it affects my mental health a bit.
I hope you are successful too! :D

« Reply #8943 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:50 am »

I get this so much it hurts, lol. Wish you the best of luck with your new path, I'm sure you'll get a few open doors here and there. And if not anything else, you can open your own IT business. I know a lot of people who make a really good living doing independent computer repair, and most of it is simple software issues or maybe replacing a part. Or just cleaning out all of the collected dust, haha. I've personally thought about pursuing this avenue myself, but I'm still satisfied with teaching atm, so I'll just busy myself getting educated and certified in the meantime.

« Reply #8944 on: January 12, 2021, 11:06:10 am »
Also... did anyone else know that Dr. Pimple Popper has an actual TV series? It's in season 5 now, for goodness sake, haha.

I always thought that stuff like this stayed within the realms of youtube and stuff, but I guess people needed... more.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #8945 on: January 13, 2021, 08:25:01 am »
Just curious, other than moving apartment, is there anything we are able to do, to get rid of mold people wallpaper?
One of my apartment rooms looks like there is a spot where a pipe burst or leaked and looks like it has started to grow mold.
My school is aware, as I told them about it when I noticed it. But another room in my apartment has started looking like it has the same issue.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8946 on: January 13, 2021, 05:38:15 pm »
Just curious, other than moving apartment, is there anything we are able to do, to get rid of mold people wallpaper?
One of my apartment rooms looks like there is a spot where a pipe burst or leaked and looks like it has started to grow mold.
My school is aware, as I told them about it when I noticed it. But another room in my apartment has started looking like it has the same issue.

You are going to need more than another apartment! They are all like that.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #8947 on: January 14, 2021, 08:02:57 am »
You are going to need more than another apartment! They are all like that.

The apartment I had when I lived in a different area wasn't like that at all. :o

« Reply #8948 on: January 14, 2021, 08:23:15 am »
Almost every lady at the gym wears a lifting belt.

They could be 20yrs old or 60yr old (kudos for still making an effort to stay fit at that age), but almost every one of them wears a lifting belt throughout their gym session and even if the only lifting they
do is with the 0.5kg dumbells or using the lat pulldown machine with the least amount of weight. Aside from that, it's pretty funny watching the new January members all training in the new gym attire the just bought
at the gym's shop. It's either getting caught up in buying every piece of training gear in sight or simply a way to make your waist like narrower for a while.

Not to be too negative about Koreans, I must say that on average, people here take far better care of their appearance and health than your average South African, American or Canadian (expat or not).

I'm not including the chain smoking bodybuilders... Dude! What are you doing? The windows are all closed and you're taking smoke breaks every 10 minutes. You f*cking stink!

« Reply #8949 on: January 14, 2021, 08:56:39 am »
Second to last day of camp before vacation. Perfect time to start remodeling the science room right next to the English room, jackhammers and a mini excavator. I mean why wait 4 whole days for the school to be empty right??? Bali bali

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #8950 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:26 am »
Nine years I've been here, and not once had a student asked me to sign a year book on the last day of school...   until today. I've had a few ask me to, including a girl I've taught since elementary 3rd who is graduating from middle school today.

Ugh. I'm trying to cut my losses and bounce, not get all emotional! Come on, kids! Please consider my situation!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8951 on: January 14, 2021, 01:53:28 pm »
The apartment I had when I lived in a different area wasn't like that at all. :o
I was exaggerating, but only slightly.
There are a few, but price and location are not good indicators.  Newer is less likely to have mold, but only if it has been cared for.

I lived in 4 apartments. Worst was a 7.2 million a month in Seocho-gu.. full of mold after a couple months.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #8952 on: January 15, 2021, 12:04:16 pm »
The mold issue is concrete covered immediately with wallpaper. Concrete can take years to cure. Yes, concrete cures, it doesn't dry, it's a chemical reaction. Vapours and water have to escape and if the wall is poured then covered with wallpaper there is no way for the wall to cure, thus moisture stays in and soaks into the wallpaper and presto: mold.

They should paint them. But that wouldn't cover the lousy job of pouring concrete that usually happens.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #8953 on: January 15, 2021, 01:25:59 pm »
Winter camp done. Go back to school on the 5th.

Oh wait, I have a reservation with immigration on the 5th at 10am and then I go home.

THREE WEEKS VACATION.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #8954 on: January 15, 2021, 03:47:57 pm »
Winter camp done. Go back to school on the 5th.

Oh wait, I have a reservation with immigration on the 5th at 10am and then I go home.

THREE WEEKS VACATION.

Been on work at home duty since Tuesday the 12th.  That , combined with vacation, and I’ll return to school on February 15th. 

34 days!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:50:54 pm by OnNut81 »

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8955 on: January 15, 2021, 04:08:23 pm »
The mold issue is concrete covered immediately with wallpaper. Concrete can take years to cure. Yes, concrete cures, it doesn't dry, it's a chemical reaction. Vapours and water have to escape and if the wall is poured then covered with wallpaper there is no way for the wall to cure, thus moisture stays in and soaks into the wallpaper and presto: mold.

They should paint them. But that wouldn't cover the lousy job of pouring concrete that usually happens.

I've got a mold problem in my (two-year-old) apartment for exactly this reason. It got so bad last winter that the landlady had to replace the wallpaper in two rooms. Well, I say "replace"... Actually, she got some ajeossi who looked about 80 to haphazardly paste off-cuts of some completely different wallpaper over the problem areas. Guess what? The once-tasteful apartment is a lot uglier and the mold is back.

« Reply #8956 on: January 15, 2021, 04:19:51 pm »
I've got a mold problem in my (two-year-old) apartment for exactly this reason. It got so bad last winter that the landlady had to replace the wallpaper in two rooms. Well, I say "replace"... Actually, she got some ajeossi who looked about 80 to haphazardly paste off-cuts of some completely different wallpaper over the problem areas. Guess what? The once-tasteful apartment is a lot uglier and the mold is back.

I'll see you and raise you my landlord. 

When we moved in, there was golf ball sized hole in the wall that went all the way outside, it was a hole made for a pipe from the standing aircon unit the previous tenant put there.
We asked the landlord to get it fixed. I was surprised to learn that "fix" a hole in the wall over here means: sending an ajjushi to up some newspaper, stuffing the hole with said newspaper,
covering the hole with mismatched wallpaper and tapping it up with Daiso tape.

Korean construction, particularly the apartments, are the very definition of half-arsed.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8957 on: January 15, 2021, 05:11:32 pm »

When we moved in, there was golf ball sized hole in the wall that went all the way outside, it was a hole made for a pipe from the standing aircon unit the previous tenant put there.
We asked the landlord to get it fixed. I was surprised to learn that "fix" a hole in the wall over here means: sending an ajjushi to up some newspaper, stuffing the hole with said newspaper,

Korean construction, particularly the apartments, are the very definition of half-arsed.

that's not even half-arsed. not even a quarter, i'd say

« Reply #8958 on: January 16, 2021, 10:35:35 am »

I'd report that to the landlord. He might jot realize. Maybe the guy is sending him some big bill. Either that or the landlord dgaf.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #8959 on: January 16, 2021, 02:01:46 pm »
24% of Americans who’ve heard of QAnon believe the claims are accurate, 28% are unsure, and 48% believe inaccurate. (Seems like over half should be saying inaccurate; I’m surprised.)

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/s/www.statista.com/chart/amp/23199/support-for-qanon-conspiracy-theories/

“QAnon adherents, who believe Trump is secretly saving the world from a cabal of child-eating Satanists, have identified Inauguration Day as a last stand, and falsely think he will force a 10-day, countrywide blackout that ends in the mass execution of his political enemies and a second Trump term.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/online-far-movements-fracture-wake-215000078.html