Read 1088874 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7000 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:35 am »
On a scale of 1 to Jim Lahey, guess how drunk I'm getting tonight...

I have Moldovan brandy for tomorrow. I'm getting Spenny sloppy tomorrow.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7001 on: November 30, 2019, 03:10:16 am »
My dad has decided to come and visit me for Christmas week, which will be lovely and I'm in charge of getting his ticket.  I want him to fly business because he's approaching eighty. But as he only told me last week, I'm struggling to find any business ticket, booked through the airline, for less than 1900 quid (2.9 million won).  I don't trust the third party agent sites, either.  Hmmmm, will give it until Monday and will check a lot of the weekend, but I doubt airlines are going to drop their prices for that week.   :sad:

Can he come for longer?

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7002 on: November 30, 2019, 10:48:43 am »
My dad has decided to come and visit me for Christmas week, which will be lovely and I'm in charge of getting his ticket.  I want him to fly business because he's approaching eighty. But as he only told me last week, I'm struggling to find any business ticket, booked through the airline, for less than 1900 quid (2.9 million won).  I don't trust the third party agent sites, either.  Hmmmm, will give it until Monday and will check a lot of the weekend, but I doubt airlines are going to drop their prices for that week.   :sad:

You could go with a premium economy kind of thing. Asiana has this "Economy Smartium" option that you can purchase as an extra. British got the "world traveller plus". They wouldn't break the bank but offer more comfort, compared to standard economy.

« Reply #7003 on: December 02, 2019, 07:12:05 am »
Can he come for longer?

Unfortunately not.  He has a hospital appointment on the Thursday before and then he has to go back before new year.  Shame really.  If he flies back business on New Year's Eve it'll cost about 7000 pounds  :laugh:

You could go with a premium economy kind of thing. Asiana has this "Economy Smartium" option that you can purchase as an extra. British got the "world traveller plus". They wouldn't break the bank but offer more comfort, compared to standard economy.

Have you flown some of the Premium Economy seats?  I've never done the Asiana one, but I've done Lufthansa, BA and Finnair and they're okay, but there is still the recline issue.  I've always gone for that option if the difference between economy and premium is 200 000 won, but not more than that.  I want him to be able to lie flat if he wants, as he's too old to be messing around for 15 or so hours with a few extra inches of recline.  Although, KLM have dropped their business to 1698 quid from last Friday and I'm kind of hoping that 'Cyber Monday' (whatever that is  :undecided:) may drop a tiny bit further.  Fingers crossed.  There really is nothing like a nice business seat at a good price. 

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7004 on: December 02, 2019, 09:51:15 pm »
Can he come for longer?

Unfortunately not.  He has a hospital appointment on the Thursday before and then he has to go back before new year.  Shame really.  If he flies back business on New Year's Eve it'll cost about 7000 pounds  :laugh:

Have you flown some of the Premium Economy seats?  I've never done the Asiana one, but I've done Lufthansa, BA and Finnair and they're okay, but there is still the recline issue.  I've always gone for that option if the difference between economy and premium is 200 000 won, but not more than that.  I want him to be able to lie flat if he wants, as he's too old to be messing around for 15 or so hours with a few extra inches of recline.  Although, KLM have dropped their business to 1698 quid from last Friday and I'm kind of hoping that 'Cyber Monday' (whatever that is  :undecided:) may drop a tiny bit further.  Fingers crossed.  There really is nothing like a nice business seat at a good price. 

Well, I did fly premium economy on United and Lufthansa. Never paid for these, just ended up there a few times. But don't have any first hand experience with Asiana's one.
KLM would mean a transfer, right? In my opinion, a direct flight on economy or premium economy is still better than a 2 leg trip on business for someone like your father. Although I don't know what exact physical condition he is in. I mean a transfer can be also an exhausting task and it would surely make the entire trip longer. A direct flight with the shortest time spent in the air (albeit less comfortable) is overall not a lot worse. And then there is the cost as well :)

« Reply #7005 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:05 pm »
Can he come for longer?

Well, I did fly premium economy on United and Lufthansa. Never paid for these, just ended up there a few times. But don't have any first hand experience with Asiana's one.
KLM would mean a transfer, right? In my opinion, a direct flight on economy or premium economy is still better than a 2 leg trip on business for someone like your father. Although I don't know what exact physical condition he is in. I mean a transfer can be also an exhausting task and it would surely make the entire trip longer. A direct flight with the shortest time spent in the air (albeit less comfortable) is overall not a lot worse. And then there is the cost as well :)

Korean Air's standard economy cabin is really not bad at all. I'd say it's as good as any other airline's premium economy cabin. And they have direct flights from the UK to Korea.

« Reply #7006 on: December 02, 2019, 10:23:53 pm »
I want him to fly business because he's approaching eighty.
My grandma turned 90 in July. I'll be flying her to Korea for the fifth time this coming February, all economy. Sure your pops can handle it.

« Reply #7007 on: December 03, 2019, 06:54:08 am »

I booked yesterday and went with KLM (1700 quid) with a three-hour transfer in Paris and then a three-hour wait in Amsterdam coming back.  I think a direct flight would be better but they're only from London, and as he's flying from Manchester, unless he takes a train down to London, it works out the same timewise to get down there as it would taking two flights. Also, I'd take two business flights as I like to knock around in the business lounge for a bit.  Istanbul Airport Business lounge is incredible, Warsaw was crap. 

Korean Air's standard economy cabin is really not bad at all. I'd say it's as good as any other airline's premium economy cabin. And they have direct flights from the UK to Korea.

Yep, but from London.  I'm still kind of boycotting Korean Air for their shitty nepotistic management idiots. 

My grandma turned 90 in July. I'll be flying her to Korea for the fifth time this coming February, all economy. Sure your pops can handle it.

:-*  Good to hear she's in rocking health.  My pops was not so well last year, so we decided it was better to be safe than sorry and make it as comfortable as possible.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7008 on: December 03, 2019, 08:32:39 am »
Can he come for longer?

I've flown premium economy with Air NZ and the seats were really comfortable. :D

« Reply #7009 on: December 03, 2019, 10:08:09 am »
I know spitting on the floor was a hot topic a couple of weeks ago lol but I still can't get over this when I see it...

Two young people standing in the street, both smoking, having a conversation.  One takes a drag, spits on the floor.  Other person takes a drag, spits on the floor.  Back and forth, back and forth.  Drag, spit, drag, spit.  Bear in mind they're standing really close to each other as well. 

I'm not a smoker so I don't know but is that normal?  Or do these young people actually not enjoy smoking which is why they spit after every drag?   

« Reply #7010 on: December 03, 2019, 10:26:31 am »
I know spitting on the floor was a hot topic a couple of weeks ago lol but I still can't get over this when I see it...

Two young people standing in the street, both smoking, having a conversation.  One takes a drag, spits on the floor.  Other person takes a drag, spits on the floor.  Back and forth, back and forth.  Drag, spit, drag, spit.  Bear in mind they're standing really close to each other as well. 

I'm not a smoker so I don't know but is that normal?  Or do these young people actually not enjoy smoking which is why they spit after every drag?   

Why don't they just wrap the tobacco in kimchi? You know kimchi cures cancer right?  The kids spit indoors on the floor at my school on the stairs, i swear if I ever catch one of them in the act I'm going to make them lick it off the floor.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:28:55 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

• hulme187
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 12:54:02 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk, Korea
« Reply #7011 on: December 03, 2019, 10:27:32 am »

I hate this with a passion. It's disgusting and there is no point in smoking if you have to spit after every drag. It's even worse when they see a tasty Korean girl doing it also.

« Reply #7012 on: December 03, 2019, 10:30:03 am »

Why don't they just wrap the tobacco in kimchi? You know kimchi cures cancer right?  The kids spit indoors on the floor at my school on the stairs, i swear if I ever catch one of them in the act I'm going to make the lick it off the floor.

I used to teach at an all-boys middle school, and they spit so much in this one particular stairwell that it had its own unique smell in the entire building.

Like you could literally smell all of the spit. The fact that they "cleaned" the floor with their dirty mops everyday made it worse.

I always used the other stairwell that the boys hated to use because it was kind of out of the way.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7013 on: December 03, 2019, 10:48:07 am »

I heard there's a myth that spitting somehow makes it less likely for smoking to give you cancer (mouth cancer I guess?). Sounds like bullsh*t but then I guess fan death is a thing here so maybe they really do think it?  :undecided: I once saw some teens spitting like MG42s when one of them spat on his friend's shoes by mistake, that was the only time it made me smile  ;D
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7014 on: December 03, 2019, 11:01:31 am »

I heard there's a myth that spitting somehow makes it less likely for smoking to give you cancer (mouth cancer I guess?).
that's the dumbest shit i've ever heard

« Reply #7015 on: December 03, 2019, 11:06:47 am »

I heard there's a myth that spitting somehow makes it less likely for smoking to give you cancer (mouth cancer I guess?).
that's the dumbest shit i've ever heard

Oh boy!  You know who peddled that myth last time this smoking and spitting thing came up? Martin

« Reply #7016 on: December 03, 2019, 11:25:29 am »
I have a new favourite word!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShamelesslyStolen/comments/e0ijkw/shamelessly_stolenwhat_a_time_to_be_alive/

(SFW)

'Loot!'

Really heartwarming subreddit that too...

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #7017 on: December 03, 2019, 11:31:46 am »

I heard there's a myth that spitting somehow makes it less likely for smoking to give you cancer (mouth cancer I guess?). Sounds like bullsh*t but then I guess fan death is a thing here so maybe they really do think it?  :undecided: I once saw some teens spitting like MG42s when one of them spat on his friend's shoes by mistake, that was the only time it made me smile  ;D

I used to smoke and not once did I feel the need to spit. I've only had one friend, back home, who spat while he smoked.

Back home, only the lowest of low gangster wannabes used to spit, while walking, to show how tough they are.
When it comes to Koreans, the only logical deduction I can arrive it is that BS Confucian beliefs claimed that phlegm was harmful to the body and should be excreted ASAP.

« Reply #7018 on: December 03, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
One of my students had some dried fish that he couldn't seal properly in his coat pocket, so now my entire classroom smells like fish.

It was kind of a hunt to figure out where the smell was coming from, the guilty party didn't want to fess up at first and he actually has a pretty good poker face.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7019 on: December 03, 2019, 02:36:29 pm »
One of my students had some dried fish that he couldn't seal properly in his coat pocket, so now my entire classroom smells like fish.

It was kind of a hunt to figure out where the smell was coming from, the guilty party didn't want to fess up at first and he actually has a pretty good poker face.

Reminds me of the dried squid people like to bust out for a quick nibble while riding in a packed out KTX car. People are quite rapid to shush you if your conversation is ever so slightly disturbing, but horrific, foul-smelling dried puke fuel, dragged up from the bottom of the polluted ocean? Naaaa thats cool G. Crack on.