Read 983094 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6580 on: June 12, 2019, 02:28:03 pm »
I've been here over 6 years and these are the 2nd and 3rd people to visit me. 1st was my Japanese friend in TO, but she moved back to Japan and THEN visited me.

I wish my friends would get their ass over here one day. :o

I hear you.  Out of all my family and friends,  only my dad has been here and he's been three times and he's in his late seventies.  He usually includes a week in China as he is learning Chinese, so wants to do a bit of practicing and wandering around there before he comes here.  Then he's headed to Korea for five or so days to stay with me, and it's always been really nice.  Showing someone else around makes you realise you take these things for granted.  I took him to Taean on the west coast (about an hour from me) to a beach in September a few years back and, as it was out of season there were no people, even though it was in the twenties, also the water was perfectly clear, so we both had a swim.  Due to ill health  :sad: he'll not be over again, which is a shame as I have my storming new apartment. 

That's a lovely story; glad your dad enjoyed Korea and sorry to hear about his health.  I feel exactly the same whenever my parents visit me here.  I can show them around but also be a tourist with them.  It's great haha!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6581 on: June 12, 2019, 02:47:24 pm »
Due to ill health
I'm sorry to hear that. :sad:

Showing someone else around makes you realise you take these things for granted.
My parents and siblings have all come to visit, despite being scattered across 4 continents, and I've had a number of friends drop by as well.
It's totally true that one discovers a lot about one's home when showing others around! Especially when they come for the second or third time, and you've run out of the go-to touristy spots and need to actually think about new spots to visit!

Yeah now it's started bleeding into the classic Waygook threads that used to be so much fun to read and post in.  Mister Tim barely posts any more.  Where are CO2 and Chinguetti?  Even Avec has seemingly given up!
Am I romanticising the past or is this really a low point?  :sad:
It's true. Maybe all the well-balanced, interesting people are all focusing on their actual jobs now. Such a waste. Soon I'll be left with nothing to moderate except the Lesson planning threads which, aside from spelling errors and the occasional accidental (?) inclusions of boobs in powerpoints intended for middle schoolers (true story!), there's nothing much to do.  :sad:

MWGA!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6582 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:09 pm »
In my 4.5 years, my parents, my in-laws, my wife’s cousin (with3 kids and her mother-in-law), and two of my wife’s friends (separately) from Canada.

We did ok.

Next it looks like Riyadh, KSA... I expect fewer visitors there.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6583 on: June 12, 2019, 03:17:28 pm »
My parents have visited three times. Wedding, when their grand kid was born and another random time. One brother also came to my wedding. They travel a lot and they enjoyed it well enough, but found it a bit gray. I took them on the DMZ tour/JSA, they really liked that.

I've had a few friends visit but they were always stopovers on the way to somewhere else. Two friends that I knew in Japan 10-15 years ago, have popped over twice. I do remember one friend being surprised by the seemingly wild popularity of bowl cuts among guys here.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #6584 on: June 12, 2019, 03:49:48 pm »
Sorry to hear Ronnie, maybe time to come back to ye'old motherland?

Soon I'll be left with nothing to moderate
;D I take it that must have been some wild convos, wutts MWGA anyhoo?

KSA
Really?  Are you sure you could be happy there? The reason why some students aren't allowed to go swimming or touch me etc. are Salafistic imams working in Europe sent from the KSA.
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6585 on: June 12, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »

« Reply #6586 on: June 12, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »
I've been on Waygook on and off for the past five years and I can't ever remember it being worse than it is now.  I try to avoid the politics threads as much as possible but every day there are two or three new ones added and the same people squabbling back and forth about the same things. 

Here's my rant for the day: The ranting, happy, and rambling threads should be threads I can check every day without having to worry about seeing the apologist diatribes, posturing, and politics sh!tposting that are ruining the rest of the forums. It sure would be great if it could stay that way.

Yeah now it's started bleeding into the classic Waygook threads that used to be so much fun to read and post in.  Mister Tim barely posts any more.  Where are CO2 and Chinguetti?  Even Avec has seemingly given up!

Am I romanticising the past or is this really a low point?  :sad:

Maybe, but you have to admit that current thread where everyone says something inane in 5 words is sheer quality. We need more posts like that!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:56:12 pm by eggieguffer »

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #6587 on: June 12, 2019, 05:50:46 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Drumpf kopf 2020!

« Reply #6588 on: June 13, 2019, 07:00:33 am »
Cheers Kyndo, Alex and HPA for the kind words.  :-* It's the kind of old people illnesses that stop him from considering another long flight over to Asia, plus his realisation that his body is not as young as his mind.  He spends more time worrying about his condition, which I think makes it worse.  I think, however, planning a trip makes you feel more happy and can give you a big boost.

Showing someone else around makes you realise you take these things for granted.
My parents and siblings have all come to visit, despite being scattered across 4 continents, and I've had a number of friends drop by as well.
It's totally true that one discovers a lot about one's home when showing others around! Especially when they come for the second or third time, and you've run out of the go-to touristy spots and need to actually think about new spots to visit!

That's cool when you get to share things like this with a lot of people.   ;D I think the first time we went to Seoul (too big and too many people) and did some things around my city.  The second time, we drove down to Byeonsanbando, Boseong and Damyang on a mini road trip.  The third time was Chuseok, so avoided the motorway traffic by doing local road stuff like Gongju and Taean.  I showed him the temple that I walk past most days when hiking and I realised the road up to it looked like the kind of scene you'd get in a Miyazaki animation.  I think that time was also one of those rumbling earthquakes we had a few years back. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6589 on: June 13, 2019, 07:52:52 am »
I have a copy of 1984 in Korean that uses Line 4 as the outline of Geore's head.

Line 4 has always been important to me. I've lived at 3 stations in Gyeonggi-do, so Line 4 has always been an arterial for me to get into Seoul.

And Ansan.

Tonight, I'm lucky because I have some visitors from Canada coming. I met them at my bro's wedding last Sep, it's the Maid of Honour and her husband.

I've been here over 6 years and these are the 2nd and 3rd people to visit me. 1st was my Japanese friend in TO, but she moved back to Japan and THEN visited me.

I wish my friends would get their ass over here one day. :o

I've had a friend of mine from Canada visit me once, and a friend from Hong Kong visit me twice, in the 3 years I've been here. :D

« Reply #6590 on: June 13, 2019, 08:38:51 am »
It's definitely an eye opener working in a Korean academic high school in the evening (and I would guess a hagwon too) as it gives you more of a perspective on how a Korean student's energy is spread out during the day and explains more about their day-time napping too.  I teach from 6:50 until 8pm, four times a week, and students definitely seem to have more energy at that time as opposed to earlier in the day.  It would also explain to me Korean's rather strange sleeping habits later in life, as in their formative years are spent existing on a little sleep that they seem to take into their adult life, and many take jobs where they have as much, or less sleep than they have in school. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:40:22 am by Ronnie Omelettes »

« Reply #6591 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:39 am »
I found a tampon in my basket of teas, the same basket that I leave open and available for all of my coTs to help themselves to.

I don't know how long it's been in there.

« Reply #6592 on: June 14, 2019, 12:02:22 pm »
I found a tampon in my basket of teas, the same basket that I leave open and available for all of my coTs to help themselves to.

I don't know how long it's been in there.

are there strings attached to use your tea?

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #6593 on: June 14, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »
That's either the best spoof on your teabags or the most considerate and thoughtful gesture of your co-Ts.  ;D
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6594 on: June 14, 2019, 12:11:17 pm »
Don't you hate it when you take tea from a communal container, and it turns out to be super weak?  :sad:

« Reply #6595 on: June 14, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »
Don't you hate it when you take tea from a communal container, and it turns out to be super weak?  :sad:

Then you think, 'maybe it's not that weak, nobody would make it that weak', and you add a tiny drop of milk.  As soon as it breaks the tea surface the whole thing goes pale white and your worst suspicions about the world are realised in that striking one moment.  As you stare blankly out of the window you think about the day you found out that Santa was not real.  The day you found out that your 'rad' BMX was in fact, a pile of shit.  You remember all the times the lift doors closed as you were running towards them.  The times you were underwhelmed watching a fireworks display.  All those school discos, where your romantic interest goes off with Paul Fitzpatrick, because he's wearing a denim jacket.  Then you get a tap on your shoulder, you swing around, and you come to your senses as you see your vice-principal smiling.  'I made it, is it okay?'

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6596 on: June 14, 2019, 12:53:13 pm »

Then you think, 'maybe it's not that weak, nobody would make it that weak', and you add a tiny drop of milk.  As soon as it breaks the tea surface the whole thing goes pale white and your worst suspicions about the world are realised in that striking one moment.  As you stare blankly out of the window you think about the day you found out that Santa was not real.  The day you found out that your 'rad' BMX was in fact, a pile of shit.  You remember all the times the lift doors closed as you were running towards them.  The times you were underwhelmed watching a fireworks display.  All those school discos, where your romantic interest goes off with Paul Fitzpatrick, because he's wearing a denim jacket.  Then you get a tap on your shoulder, you swing around, and you come to your senses as you see your vice-principal smiling.  'I made it, is it okay?'
Yes, sir, I can see that you've put a lot of effort into the tea, but you really ought not to have used that particular tea packet from Chinguetti's jar.

This reminds me of an old konglish joke that I recycle every few months to the delight of everybody involved:

"What is a vampire's favourite drink?"
..."코 피"
:laugh:

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #6597 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:06 pm »
your romantic interest goes off with Paul Fitzpatrick
Ronnie's a babe?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:04:02 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6598 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:24 pm »
Ronnie's a babe?

Am I the only person on here that assumed she was a woman????
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6599 on: June 14, 2019, 01:56:12 pm »
Ronnie's a babe?

Am I the only person on here that assumed she was a woman????

I thought it was fairly obvious
The World Ends With You