Read 988133 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6500 on: May 10, 2019, 11:41:25 am »
Yes to clarify I was thinking more about NETs than KTs.  Interesting replies, thanks both (EDIT: and Robin)! 

Even though I do feel it's a little bit unbalanced (it effectively is more work for no extra pay) I don't think I'd trade my high school job for elementary.  That's purely based on what I read here.

Unless...I could have one of those tape recorder jobs that I read about.  I think I'd really enjoy switching my brain off for a year (as long as I could go back to high school afterwards haha).

Anyway just thought it was an interesting topic that I've never seen brought up on Waygook.  Hope we all have a good Friday!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:42:56 am by alexisalex »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6501 on: May 10, 2019, 11:43:34 am »
I teach at a middle school, a high school, and 2 primary schools, and I gotta say, of the three I find that the highschool classes are the least amount of work.
Sure, they're 10 minutes longer, and there's a lot more grammar,but as previous posters have noted, the amount of classroom management is a whole lot less.

Personally, I really enjoy the full range of student ages that I get to teach. Primary classes are a lot of frenetic fun, and being able to have conversations and actually getting to know the highschoolers is pretty cool too!

« Reply #6502 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:39 am »
Are you talking about for NETs, KTs, or all of the above?

I guess it just depends, on my view of things.

On one side, they're required to teach an additional 3.5 hours each week, as compared to elementary school teachers.

But on the other side, they have to deal with far less class management, with students who have far greater attention spans. Plus, KTs in high schools get paid more than elementary school teachers (or at least they do in the private sector), so that kind of makes up for that additional time required.

For NETs... no, it's not fair because there is no additional pay, as far as I know. BUT, from my own very short experience and what I've been told by others, high school is a lot easier to teach than middle or elementary school (I know not in all cases, some people have gotten very unlucky). Workload can be light... but then, it can also be quite high, depending on the school's expectations, which seems to vary a lot with high schools as compared to the lower grades. But I don't know.

I definitely agree with this... The actual workload, I could see as being unfair. That said, the actual work being done is loads more difficult in elementary/middle school... where there is a lot more preparation required on your part in many cases and much more need for behavior and classroom management systems to be in place. Yes, high school may require more knowledge and work on grammar... but honestly, if you've got Google and ten minutes, you can figure it out even if you don't recall it from when you were in school.

« Reply #6503 on: May 10, 2019, 12:20:21 pm »
if you've got Google and ten minutes, you can figure it out

Hey, my mantra.

« Reply #6504 on: May 10, 2019, 12:28:44 pm »
I would add that the amount of planning/classroom management is different depending on what kind of high school you're in.

I'm in a technical high school so I don't use a textbook - planning fifty minutes of material without a book and trying to hold the attention of lower level students certainly feels like a lot of work to me haha.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6505 on: May 11, 2019, 12:28:39 pm »
Kpop on Real Time with Bill Maher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgsAZqwRIFo

[1:08:16]

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6506 on: May 13, 2019, 08:44:36 pm »
"You use chopsticks better than my 3-year old son!"

.......... Thanks?
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6507 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:36 am »
I don't think it's fair that high school teachers have the same contract as elementary school teachers in regards to "22 classes".  My argument is that 22 x 50 minutes is a lot harder than 22 x 40 minutes.

Thoughts?   

My main gig is teaching in an elementary school but I've also been teaching a high school business english course once or twice a week for the last 3 years. I can't speak for anyone else but personally...

The high school course is so much easier. For this year I've been placed at an all boy's technical where many of the students have a very low level of English but their attitude and behavior is worlds above all but the best of my elementary school students. Last year I worked at a mixed high school with a generally higher average level of English and I also really enjoyed it.

I should note I teach 2 50 minute classes back-to-back at high school so I can't compare a full week of classes. The most I've taught at high school is 8 classes a week. That was a bit too much but I don't think I'd even consider doing half that for an after-school elementary school class.

One of the big reasons I've never requested a transfer to a high school for my main job is because I've been here long enough to see how the hiring and firing cycle goes and it seems high schools get cut first.

Are you looking to get cut to leave a bit earlier or something? :O

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6508 on: May 14, 2019, 07:56:50 am »
My co-worker is wearing a t-shirt that says: "Beware of gods" on it, and I found it (the shirt) cute and funny. :)

« Reply #6509 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:20 am »
"You use chopsticks better than my 3-year old son!"

.......... Thanks?

Me: You've got your knife and fork the wrong way round.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:52:00 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #6510 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:38 am »
While I'm here this new update is poor. Constant page loading issues and pain in the arse to reply to comments and whatnot. No me gusta.
Who is here in 2019?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6511 on: May 14, 2019, 09:56:51 am »
pain in the arse to reply to comments and whatnot. No me gusta.
I kind of agree. I like how one can reply without loading a new page, but It's a bit annoying that the default reply box doesn't come with the bulletin board code and smileys -- it's so much easier to click a button than to type out all the formatting code. Laissez-lazy-faire!

« Reply #6512 on: May 15, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
There's this restaurant on the street corner where the owner took in a stray kitten. The cat is probably around nine or ten months old, now. She was raised primarily indoors, but starting a couple of months ago the owner started letting her run around outside. She's very cute and friendly, loves attention from strangers, but she never approaches people unless they gesture to her first, and she has the quietest meow. I've seen old assholes try to kick her whenever they thought no one was around, though, like she would literally just be lying in the grass minding her own business when they would try to run up on her, so she's always very wary of older men and won't come to them unless she knows them well (they're usually regulars at the restaurant).

I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks now, and I'm hoping that her owner has decided to keep her indoors, but I'm kind of afraid that someone managed to get the jump on her, too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:57:48 pm by Chinguetti »

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6513 on: May 15, 2019, 03:46:05 pm »
I've seen old assholes try to kick her whenever they thought no one was around, though, like she would literally just be lying in the grass minding her own business when they would try to run up on her
wtf.. what is wrong with people?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6514 on: May 17, 2019, 09:29:59 am »
So far, whenever I've had to take my flashdrive out of a computer, and my CTs just so happens to be closer, they always opt to yank it out before I can go for the "Safe Eject" option. Gives me a mild spasm every time I see it happen. I had to teach them about the dangers of it and, low and behold, none of them had any idea it could wipe everything.

I'm sure this is one of many contributing factors as to why there are so many Korean Surprises.
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6515 on: May 17, 2019, 09:36:49 am »
So far, whenever I've had to take my flashdrive out of a computer, and my CTs just so happens to be closer, they always opt to yank it out before I can go for the "Safe Eject" option. Gives me a mild spasm every time I see it happen. I had to teach them about the dangers of it and, low and behold, none of them had any idea it could wipe everything.

I'm sure this is one of many contributing factors as to why there are so many Korean Surprises.
꺼내기 홀 is very precious.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #6516 on: May 17, 2019, 09:47:22 am »
The IT guy just "upgraded" the English classes computers to Windows 10. These computers could barely run Windows 7. Not only that, but this dorkus has just installed what I assume to be every ActiveX plugin known to man. Every 3min, one pops up asking for updates, warning of Trojans/malware and just making using the computer pretty much unusable, PPTs crash 50% of the time.

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #6517 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:51 pm »
The IT guy just "upgraded" the English classes computers to Windows 10. These computers could barely run Windows 7. Not only that, but this dorkus has just installed what I assume to be every ActiveX plugin known to man. Every 3min, one pops up asking for updates, warning of Trojans/malware and just making using the computer pretty much unusable, PPTs crash 50% of the time.

Mine got updated n Monday.  But they didn't do it correctly, so they redid it on Tuesday. Then they came back Wednesday to install a bunch of useless and annoying sh!tware (which I promptly uninstalled).  Thursday they came back to uninstall some more of the stuff they had installed on Wednesday. Today they're trying to figure out the "Activate Windows" message. Also, apparently the fact that I changed the system to English is awe-inspring...??

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6518 on: May 17, 2019, 07:02:43 pm »

yep. i have posted this before, but this happened to me at my old school. i eventually got completely up and uninstalled ALL the bullshit useless korean bloatware and the computer was instantly useable again. i mean, it didn't take 10 minutes to boot up, or 5 minutes to open word. and i got no annoying pop-ups every 10 minutes.

but the next day? IT guy comes around, installing them all again, telling me not to uninstall them. computer was unusable for the rest of the year again.

can anyone actually explain to me the point of this bloatware? none of it even does anything useful, and some won't even let you actually uninstall it without brute forcing it. can't get my head around it

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6519 on: May 17, 2019, 10:27:00 pm »

yep. i have posted this before, but this happened to me at my old school. i eventually got completely up and uninstalled ALL the bullshit useless korean bloatware and the computer was instantly useable again. i mean, it didn't take 10 minutes to boot up, or 5 minutes to open word. and i got no annoying pop-ups every 10 minutes.

but the next day? IT guy comes around, installing them all again, telling me not to uninstall them. computer was unusable for the rest of the year again.

can anyone actually explain to me the point of this bloatware? none of it even does anything useful, and some won't even let you actually uninstall it without brute forcing it. can't get my head around it
They generate revenue for well-connected software vendors.