Read 1070472 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #6160 on: November 26, 2018, 11:39:18 am »
I'm in such a mood today.

So glad that the bulk of this week doesn't require much attention from me.

Also, I like to **** around with my students by tossing out different pronunciations of words just based on different American dialects. The students will usually quietly comment about it to each other but then it's the coT that actually speaks up and asks me about it.

Examples include aunt, caramel, and pecan.

Language is fun.

What are the pecan pronunciation variants? Pee-can and pey-can? Pee-con? I don't actually know.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6161 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:46 am »
What are the pecan pronunciation variants? Pee-can and pey-can? Pee-con? I don't actually know.

Pih-kan
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6162 on: November 26, 2018, 12:31:13 pm »
Whatever happened to Pecan? 

« Reply #6163 on: November 26, 2018, 01:25:49 pm »

The two main ones where I'm from are pih-KHAN and pee-caan, but I also hear PEE-khan.

Whatever happened to Pecan?

He kept getting muted, so one day he just stopped posting.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #6164 on: November 26, 2018, 03:11:09 pm »

And 'Steel Rails'  :P
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #6165 on: November 27, 2018, 07:08:19 am »
Well, my ginormous touch screen died yesterday so all my classes have been canceled till further notice.  :P  All my classes were supposed to start the last chapter in their books, and it being about 5 weeks out till winter break, I think were in pretty good shape.  Hopefully the school will have some one fix it soon. 

So, it looks like long walks for me. (I'm allowed to leave campus to go for walks if I have no lessons)  Better go out and enjoy the last remining bits of nice weather.  Winter will be here soon.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6166 on: November 27, 2018, 08:07:48 am »
Well, my ginormous touch screen died yesterday so all my classes have been canceled till further notice.  :P  All my classes were supposed to start the last chapter in their books, and it being about 5 weeks out till winter break, I think were in pretty good shape.  Hopefully the school will have some one fix it soon. 

So, it looks like long walks for me. (I'm allowed to leave campus to go for walks if I have no lessons)  Better go out and enjoy the last remining bits of nice weather.  Winter will be here soon.

You might want to take a look at the air quality first.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:11:42 am by Lazio »

• AMDC
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6167 on: November 27, 2018, 08:19:15 am »

One of the depressing things about Korea is when you walk outside, see the fog, and reminisce about the foggy, rolling hills of the motherland, just to realize its probably mostly pollution here and you should probably go back inside.

« Reply #6168 on: November 27, 2018, 08:56:26 am »

It's fine where I'm at.  It's at 68 right now. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6169 on: November 27, 2018, 12:49:43 pm »
Now thatís a fun FB group!

« Reply #6170 on: November 27, 2018, 12:55:47 pm »
Now thatís a fun FB group!

took me a sec.  :laugh:

« Reply #6171 on: November 29, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
I always thought that the "female teachers only" jobs in Korea were a myth and that surely they never explicitly say that.

Checked out the recent job listings... :laugh:

« Reply #6172 on: November 29, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »
I always thought that the "female teachers only" jobs in Korea were a myth and that surely they never explicitly say that.

Plenty of ones still specifying colour too.

https://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/edu/d/sinsa-station-white-female/6735478840.html

« Reply #6173 on: November 29, 2018, 01:34:59 pm »

I feel like I should repost this in the 'things that make you irrationally angry' thread.

« Reply #6174 on: November 29, 2018, 01:48:14 pm »

I feel like I should repost this in the 'things that make you irrationally angry' thread.

Jesus  :shocked:

I suppose I'm naive but I honestly thought that it was more of a "read between the lines" sort of thing where we assume they just want pretty white women.

I'm actually stunned haha.

« Reply #6176 on: November 29, 2018, 02:15:38 pm »
Just spent some time clicking through the job ads on craigslist (thanks eggieguffer) and that is some depressing reading  :sad:

« Reply #6177 on: November 30, 2018, 09:43:52 am »
Bumping this up because I'm excited it's Friday. I'm looking forward to doing nothing. I think I'm gonna binge watch  The Haunting of Hill House all weekend.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6178 on: November 30, 2018, 10:23:35 am »
Bumping this up because I'm excited it's Friday. I'm looking forward to doing nothing. I think I'm gonna binge watch  The Haunting of Hill House all weekend.

I'm watching BM "Hang the DJ" with a special someone. Should be good. Home cooked meal, relaxing out of the city.

Good to unwind after all the filming I've been doing.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6179 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:22 pm »
And the binging has begun.

I'm watching BM "Hang the DJ" with a special someone. Should be good. Home cooked meal, relaxing out of the city.

Good to unwind after all the filming I've been doing.

Sounds like a good time, have fun!