Read 2014785 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #9960 on: January 06, 2022, 02:18:18 pm »
i feel like i read something about a horse sized duck not being able to move

edit: also it's 100 not 10. 10 makes the question trivial
Well, given that pack animals rarely stay in the fight if you start taking a few of them out, I'd have to say the duck-sized horses. They'd probably behave like, well, like a herd of most other mammals and if they started to drop, they'd scatter. Aside from hive animals, not many are willing to stay in a fight if things go poorly. Even lions will almost always bugger off if one of them goes down. However if their herd was able to press the fight and accept losses like ants do, then they would certainly be a greater danger if you were without weapons, and possibly even with. But there's no indication of such behavior in equines.

On the other hand, if given some kind of polearm or bow, you might be able to easily cripple t the horse-sized duck in which case the fight would be over rather quickly. But you'd also have to face the largest flying creature on the planet since prehistoric times. As a flyer, it would likely have a weaker bone structure, meaning that even simply bludgeoning missiles (i.e., rocks) might do significant damage to it. If it was incapable of flight and had a denser structure and hunted active prey (rather than being a piscivore or scavenger, then you'd in essence be facing something like a smaller, mostly clawless theropod and that would be a dubious proposition. Unfortunately, at horse-size, even the small nail~talons of a duck's foot could do some serious damage.

Interestingly, since both can become domesticated, one could end up with a mountable duck or a herd of tiny horses for meat. That would be something if a duck could support a human's weight and still fly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:35:39 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #9961 on: January 06, 2022, 02:25:30 pm »
Booster shot this morning. I'm starting to feel a bit under the weather, like a mild flu has started. My wife is feeling the same. I'm going to kick the kids out early, maybe in an hour or so, then I'll hit the sack and watch some TV and movies. Vacation starts tomorrow.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9962 on: January 06, 2022, 03:22:40 pm »
Booster shot this morning. I'm starting to feel a bit under the weather, like a mild flu has started. My wife is feeling the same. I'm going to kick the kids out early, maybe in an hour or so, then I'll hit the sack and watch some TV and movies. Vacation starts tomorrow.

Oh dear, I hope it's very mild.

In my health news, at my dr appt just now, I have healed on schedule and got to ditch the sling and brace and start physical therapy. 

« Reply #9963 on: January 06, 2022, 03:44:29 pm »
Very mild, just like I've exercised too long and too hard.

That's good news Mr C. Now comes the fun part... :lipsrsealed: Help all goes well and not too much discomfort during the physio.

« Reply #9964 on: January 24, 2022, 01:34:36 pm »
Really random post.
I picked my wife up from her friend's place about 10 pm last night, then dropped another of her friend's home. Heading back to our place, through the main streets and shopping areas, it was like driving in an old deserted ghost town. Little was open, and no one in sight...anywhere. Street and streets of emptiness. I haven't been out at that time for many months and was shocked. It used to be quite an active town at night. It felt odd and spooky.

BTW. Mr C, if you are reading, how's the physio going?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9965 on: January 24, 2022, 03:39:23 pm »
Really random post.
I picked my wife up from her friend's place about 10 pm last night, then dropped another of her friend's home. Heading back to our place, through the main streets and shopping areas, it was like driving in an old deserted ghost town. Little was open, and no one in sight...anywhere. Street and streets of emptiness. I haven't been out at that time for many months and was shocked. It used to be quite an active town at night. It felt odd and spooky.

BTW. Mr C, if you are reading, how's the physio going?

Hey, thanks.  It is a misery, but my range of motion and strength are really improving.  I'm hoping to be able to type two-handed maybe sometime next week. 

« Reply #9966 on: January 24, 2022, 03:48:59 pm »
That's good. A little progress helps keep the chin up. And yeah, physio is painful and it just plain sucks. I completely empathize.

« Reply #9967 on: Yesterday at 12:07:05 pm »
4 cans of beer for 10,000 is now 4 for 11,000, at my local GS store. Price increases all over the place.

On a slightly annoying note. My wife just told me that she heard on the news that the 4 for 10,000 (11,000 won) will be discontinued. Why and when, she doesn't know, but in the not too distant future  :sad:

And on a happier note; I'm finished at 4.30 today, and on a 10 day New Year's break. My second in 3 weeks. Luck of the draw and enough to smile about  ;D
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:09:05 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

« Reply #9968 on: Yesterday at 12:29:25 pm »
4 cans of beer for 10,000 is now 4 for 11,000, at my local GS store. Price increases all over the place.

On a slightly annoying note. My wife just told me that she heard on the news that the 4 for 10,000 (11,000 won) will be discontinued. Why and when, she doesn't know, but in the not too distant future  :sad:

And on a happier note; I'm finished at 4.30 today, and on a 10 day New Year's break. My second in 3 weeks. Luck of the draw and enough to smile about  ;D

Damn.  I know CO2 will be bummed.  Tuesdays used to be his cheapest night of the week.  Now he's going to have to shell out 44,000 won for a night's entertainment.  There goes the taxi to work the next day. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9969 on: Yesterday at 12:45:46 pm »
Damn.  I know CO2 will be bummed.  Tuesdays used to be his cheapest night of the week.  Now he's going to have to shell out 44,000 won for a night's entertainment.  There goes the taxi to work the next day. 

I'm going to sound like a total snob right now, but I don't usually but 4 for 10. I usually allot a budget to blow on beers at bottle shops.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9970 on: Yesterday at 01:13:48 pm »
Yeah, in my town too.

The bigger irk was the apple cider cans cut nearly in half for the same price!

At least soju is still 1250 won a bottle at one 7-Eleven in town (and 1290 won at one of the Nonghyup. When my Korean bud invites me over to watch movies once a week, I most often bring a couple of bottles of soju.

The smaller size of rice (including black rice) in those round containers for instant use at least has a somewhat reduced price. It looks almost sample size but at 220 calories is probably meant to be individual sized. So many people live alone in Korea these days, according to news reports, so it makes sense.

I wish those little Coke cans were prevalent. I used to find it exactly the right size to quench the urge the four or five times a year I wanted it.

It's the smaller size of blueberry and strawberry containers that irks me. Tangerines and bananas yo-yo in price, as do onions.

I expect all produce to be more expensive when i go shopping tomorrow, due to the holiday.

« Reply #9971 on: Yesterday at 01:20:40 pm »
I'm going to sound like a total snob right now, but I don't usually but 4 for 10. I usually allot a budget to blow on beers at bottle shops.

I don't think anyone could make NOT buying 4 for 10 seem snobby.  Nothing wrong with it, but it was a cheap ass special on average beers.  You're not going to catch too many people from Munich touch Paulaner in a can. 

« Reply #9972 on: Yesterday at 01:44:32 pm »
I don't think anyone could make NOT buying 4 for 10 seem snobby.  Nothing wrong with it, but it was a cheap ass special on average beers.  You're not going to catch too many people from Munich touch Paulaner in a can. 

Yeah, that's the thing. It is your average beer in most cases, some quite drinkable, but really affordable. Shit, even 15-20 years ago, I had to budget to buy some half decent imported suds. Just too expensive. If I only drank one or two at a sitting then I'd probably go for quality, but I don't. So...it's enjoyable and affordable for me.

« Reply #9973 on: Yesterday at 01:56:57 pm »
Yeah, that's the thing. It is your average beer in most cases, some quite drinkable, but really affordable. Shit, even 15-20 years ago, I had to budget to buy some half decent imported suds. Just too expensive. If I only drank one or two at a sitting then I'd probably go for quality, but I don't. So...it's enjoyable and affordable for me.

I've enjoyed that 4 for 10 a number of times.  Nothing wrong with at all.  I just don't think it was indicative of being a beer snob one way or the other.  You could get some perfectly fine beers for a good price. 

• Bakeacake
  • Adventurer

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #9974 on: Yesterday at 02:08:39 pm »
in the summer, 2 guinness and 2 magners ciders, + an ice cup = 11,000,   chill at one of the picnic tables by the beach and mix them 50/50 to make snake bites. you get about 6 full size drinks out of it.  an amazing deal. will continue to do that.

« Reply #9975 on: Yesterday at 02:15:15 pm »
I just don't think it was indicative of being a beer snob one way or the other.

Agreed!

Edit
Apologies in advance. My wife has gone to the city to see her sister and won't be back for a day or so. I haven't had a beer since New Year's Eve, so tonight I will be eating chicken legs and indulging in more than a couple. Please understand if I posts some horrendous songs  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:28:13 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9976 on: Yesterday at 03:15:47 pm »

Well congrats and enjoy.

About the beer, my CU has a selection that's 10,000 and a bit larger selection that's 11,000.  The sign says the deal is through 2.28.

I read somewhere the price changes were about tariffs, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

« Reply #9977 on: Yesterday at 03:29:58 pm »
Cheers Mr C.
I just said goodbye to my last class of boys. I'm officially on vacation.
Ahh...ok, tariffs may be the culprit.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9978 on: Today at 02:09:12 am »
Wordle is very popular.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Green means that letter is in that spot.
Yellow means that letter is in a different spot.
You only get the amount of tries shown.

Only one new one every day.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:16:30 am by VanIslander »