Read 1699748 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #9400 on: May 30, 2021, 06:49:22 pm »
Over half of unmarried adults between the ages of 30 and 40, and 44 percent of those between 40 and 44, still live with their parents.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/40-years-old-living-parents-083010034.html

42 percent of children who live with their parents are unemployed.

42%?!

Is that true?

Iím shocked!
Over half of unmarried adults between the ages of 30 and 40, and 44 percent of those between 40 and 44, still live with their parents.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/40-years-old-living-parents-083010034.html

42 percent of children who live with their parents are unemployed.

42%?!

Is that true?

Iím shocked!

They arenít unemployed; they are ďstudyingĒ. /s

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9401 on: May 31, 2021, 01:18:37 pm »
If you make falafels, don't bake them, at least pan-fry them (if not full-blown deep fry)
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #9402 on: May 31, 2021, 04:20:05 pm »
If you make falafels, don't bake them, at least pan-fry them (if not full-blown deep fry)

Baked falafels?!  I think they have capital punishment for that in some of the Gulf Kingdoms.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #9403 on: June 01, 2021, 03:48:09 am »
More than 50 percent said they had difficulties in making friends with locals here.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp%3fnewsIdx=309624
___________________ ___________________ _____

What has your experience been like? Have you had difficulties making friends with locals here?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9404 on: June 01, 2021, 06:58:19 am »
Not particularly.
But awkward social situations are kind of my forte, so being friendly among people with whom I have nothing in common and may or may not be able to communicate is no problemo.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #9405 on: June 07, 2021, 10:11:34 pm »
The United States is one of the small number of countries where coronavirus vaccinations are widely available.

"All over the world people are desperate to get a shot that every American can get at their neighborhood drugstore," President Joe Biden said on Wednesday.

But one group of Americans feels left behind: expatriates.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-expats-push-access-coronavirus-190439666.html

« Reply #9406 on: June 08, 2021, 07:19:56 am »

But one group of Americans feels left behind: expatriates.

Whilst I understand American's have to still pay US taxes wherever they are in the world, this is one thing that really confuses me.  As an expat of my own choice, I don't expect my home country to be looking after me whilst I'm away.  Just smacks of having your cake and eating it to.  I have been invited back home to go for my vaccination, which is all I can expect.  Not to have them fly it, and the medical staff to administer it out to me.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9407 on: June 08, 2021, 07:54:38 am »
More than 50 percent said they had difficulties in making friends with locals here.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp%3fnewsIdx=309624
___________________ ___________________ _____

What has your experience been like? Have you had difficulties making friends with locals here?

For me it's both yes and no at the same time. I haven't had any real difficulty making friends here, however, it's felt like it's been up to me to keep the friendship going.
Like, if me and a friend want to hang out, they expect me to go to them, not meet somewhere in the middle between us, or them come to me; It's always kind of expected of me going to them.
They'll rarely message me first, I'm typically the one having to initiate conversations. However, I'm not a very social person, so the good news is most of them don't mind going long stretches of non-contact.

I've found Korean people to be very helpful and friendly though.

• JNM
  • The Legend

« Reply #9408 on: June 08, 2021, 01:28:50 pm »
Whilst I understand American's have to still pay US taxes wherever they are in the world, this is one thing that really confuses me.  As an expat of my own choice, I don't expect my home country to be looking after me whilst I'm away.  Just smacks of having your cake and eating it to.  I have been invited back home to go for my vaccination, which is all I can expect.  Not to have them fly it, and the medical staff to administer it out to me.

I know a British family, currently living in Mexico, who went to the US to get the shot.

Considering doing it for my teenager, who isn’t allowed in the queue yet where I am.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #9409 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:25 am »
I haven't had any real difficulty making friends here

You mentioned living in a really rural area. How are you meeting people there? Joined some clubs?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #9410 on: June 10, 2021, 11:59:15 am »
South Korea is pushing to allow overseas group tours of fully vaccinated citizens to nations with stable virus response measures as early as next month amid a nationwide vaccination campaign, the transport ministry said Wednesday.

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp?newsIdx=310183

U.S. territories like Guam and Saipan currently allow exemptions from a two-week quarantine for incoming passengers who have received Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen vaccines.

AstraZeneca vaccine recipients and unvaccinated people are required to take a coronavirus test at the territories' airports and undergo a two-week quarantine at local facilities.
___________________ ___________________ _____________

Thatís discrimination against those who got the AstraZeneca vaccine! So sad. Itís less effective, sure, but not by all that much.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:03:55 pm by L I »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9411 on: June 10, 2021, 12:02:14 pm »
South Korea is pushing to allow overseas group tours of fully vaccinated citizens to nations with stable virus response measures as early as next month amid a nationwide vaccination campaign, the transport ministry said Wednesday.

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp?newsIdx=310183

U.S. territories like Guam and Saipan currently allow exemptions from a two-week quarantine for incoming passengers who have received Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen vaccines.

AstraZeneca vaccine recipients and unvaccinated people are required to take a coronavirus test at the territories' airports and undergo a two-week quarantine at local facilities.
A 2-week quarantine in Guam?

Imagine that.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9412 on: June 10, 2021, 12:14:11 pm »
You mentioned living in a really rural area. How are you meeting people there? Joined some clubs?

There's a penpals website I use for making friends around the world. I've been making friends with Korean people from that.
In my area - it's mostly elderly people and students in high school or younger (or people who have just finished high school - been seeing a few of my old students around).
It's hard to make friends with people my age by joining clubs.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #9413 on: June 12, 2021, 08:34:17 am »
For the past three weeks, the world's richest person has mostly been Bernard Arnault, the head of Louis Vuitton.

Why are so many people around the world buying Louis Vuitton?

It's freaking expensive.

How did Louis Vuitton overtake Amazon in profits?

I'm shocked!

Maybe the reason is difference in cost in materials and labor for designer goods versus what they sell for and also coronavirus relief money being spent on luxury purses and shoes.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9414 on: June 16, 2021, 08:08:58 am »
Why are so many people around the world buying Louis Vuitton?

It's freaking expensive.

its also ugly asf lol

« Reply #9415 on: June 16, 2021, 03:17:38 pm »
its also ugly asf lol
last time I visited an outlet mall in Korea it was very cold and pouring rain but people waited in long lines outside to get into such stores as burberry and louis vuitton.........sur e some of the luxury brands look nice, but with those prices, why? I especially don't understand why people buy luxury shoes from those brands because you are just going to get them all dirty......at least you can keep a bag relatively clean

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9416 on: June 16, 2021, 03:26:44 pm »
last time I visited an outlet mall in Korea it was very cold and pouring rain but people waited in long lines outside to get into such stores as burberry and louis vuitton.........sur e some of the luxury brands look nice, but with those prices, why? I especially don't understand why people buy luxury shoes from those brands because you are just going to get them all dirty......at least you can keep a bag relatively clean

WOW, this bag holds my tampons so well! Not like a 120 dollar bag.

I'm all for not buying the cheapest shit in the world, but there comes a point where people have spent 1200 to carry their tampons and glasses around. WHY
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #9417 on: June 16, 2021, 03:30:52 pm »
Just this year, Louis Vuitton increased prices five times.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/06/12/business/industry/LuxuryBrands/20210612070111114.html

Despite higher prices, customers from China and Korea have been purchasing more goods during the pandemic, compared to those in the United States and Europe.

« Reply #9418 on: June 16, 2021, 03:54:38 pm »
Just this year, Louis Vuitton increased prices five times.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/06/12/business/industry/LuxuryBrands/20210612070111114.html

Despite higher prices, customers from China and Korea have been purchasing more goods during the pandemic, compared to those in the United States and Europe.

YouTubers certainly like luxury brand unboxing videos......saw a video where mother-in-law to be gave future daughter in law a 5,000,000 won dior bag and she spent 20 minutes unboxing and talking about it

« Reply #9419 on: June 16, 2021, 07:22:32 pm »
WOW, this bag holds my tampons so well! Not like a 120 dollar bag.

I'm all for not buying the cheapest shit in the world, but there comes a point where people have spent 1200 to carry their tampons and glasses around. WHY

My briefcase costs more than double what you mentioned and few people recognise it as a high-end designer briefcase since it's as understated as it gets.
I didn't need to spend that kind of money on it, particularly as there was an almost identical MontBlanc briefcase for about $800. Still, I wanted the one I bought and I'm happy I did.
While I can't speak for others I'll try to answer your question:

- The briefcase is made of the real-deal Saffiano leather, which is 100% waterproof and pretty much laughs at what would scratch other leather to shreds
- Every 3-5yrs of daily use, it needs a few repairs to buff the metal hardware and sew up any split seams then it looks brand new
- With proper care it'll last decades
- The design is understated, classic and elegant, it'll never look out of style
- ... I like and appreciate beautiful craftsmanship

That said, I'll never buy anything LV. The logo just screams "Please look at me!". I own very few luxury goods and I buy them for my own pleasure, not to prove anything to anyone else.