Read 1445734 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #8800 on: November 17, 2020, 08:35:56 am »
Take her to Paris Baguette for some garlic bread.

I mentioned it and other western foods that were sweetened to better suit Korean tastes, but she said it wasn't that much sugar because it wasn't sweet enough to be a cake, lol.

Somehow I imagine this is the same person who tried to convince you of you magnesium deficiency.

Shhhhhhhhhh.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #8801 on: November 17, 2020, 08:41:08 am »
"Western food is so salty and oily!!"

Proceeds to down a litre of doenjang jjigae and a plate of fried chicken.

I personally never cook with salt, and I typically only use a small amount of coconut oil in my cooking.
When I get to eat with my students at my good schools, they are often asking for some of my lunch, and they often tell me: Your lunch is better than the school lunch!
I sometimes save a small bit at the end for a few of the students to share.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8802 on: November 17, 2020, 09:46:06 am »
I love the fact that is is easy to find unsalted nuts.

And they are quality nuts, more nutritious almonds, cashews and walnuts rather than overrepresented cheap peanuts.

Thst said,... Korean dishes, especially stews, are incredibly salty!

« Reply #8803 on: November 17, 2020, 12:05:41 pm »
Reading a boredpanda list of posts that were obviously BS, and I have a hard time believing that anyone but preteens and younger could post garbage like that and expect anyone to believe them.

They're all cringey and embarrassing and I don't think that I've ever come across a post or comment like that in the wild that wasn't also meant to be sarcastic or satirical.

Why can't any of waygook's trolls be more like that? It could be the start of a new in-Korea webtoon series.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8804 on: November 17, 2020, 02:01:01 pm »
"Western food is so salty and oily!!"

Proceeds to down a litre of doenjang jjigae and a plate of fried chicken.
don't get me started. same with sugar

« Reply #8805 on: November 19, 2020, 11:13:15 am »
I finally replaced my janky hair dryer with a nicer, more expensive one.

Tried it for the first time this morning, and my hair is fabulous. Wish I hadn't waited so long.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #8806 on: November 19, 2020, 12:15:21 pm »
DeMart is ON FIRE!

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #8807 on: November 19, 2020, 12:29:04 pm »
is this OC?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #8808 on: November 19, 2020, 12:34:01 pm »
is this OC?
Nope. Just googled D Mart hoping to get some pics of a market. Then I found out there was a fire at the Dahasir West location and I thought, "GOLD."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:39:27 pm by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #8809 on: November 19, 2020, 12:37:57 pm »
heroic nonetheless :afro:

« Reply #8810 on: November 19, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »
I really want rocky road ice cream.

Anyone know of a place in Seoul that serves good rocky road ice cream?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #8811 on: November 20, 2020, 08:26:33 am »
has anyone tried 공기놀이? it's actually pretty fun! i guess it's less exciting if you grew up playing jacks (also known as knucklebones, snobs, astragalus, tali, dibs, fivestones, or jackstones)... but i didn't so 1) i'm bad 2) i'm quickly improving. i think it'd make a good (dangerous) drinking game too

« Reply #8812 on: November 20, 2020, 03:10:03 pm »
has anyone tried 공기놀이? it's actually pretty fun! i guess it's less exciting if you grew up playing jacks (also known as knucklebones, snobs, astragalus, tali, dibs, fivestones, or jackstones)... but i didn't so 1) i'm bad 2) i'm quickly improving. i think it'd make a good (dangerous) drinking game too

Grow up. 딱지, fool

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #8813 on: November 26, 2020, 05:37:58 am »
Did you know that the pilgrims almost starved after they arrived at Plymouth Rock?  That's because they were forced to farm "collectively."  The corporation that funded the expedition said, "grow food together.  Divide the harvest equally."

This is a terrible idea.  It creates what economists call the "tragedy of the commons."  When you share property and the results of your work, people farm until the land is barren, don't work as hard, or steal food from others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVSuLIjZmM

Once the pilgrims had property rights, they became much more productive and brought in huge harvests -- which they were then able to share with the Indians.

So this Thanksgiving feast, don't forget to say "thanks, private property!"

« Reply #8814 on: November 26, 2020, 07:22:51 am »
Did you know that the pilgrims almost starved after they arrived at Plymouth Rock?  That's because they were forced to farm "collectively."  The corporation that funded the expedition said, "grow food together.  Divide the harvest equally."

This is a terrible idea.  It creates what economists call the "tragedy of the commons."  When you share property and the results of your work, people farm until the land is barren, don't work as hard, or steal food from others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVSuLIjZmM

Once the pilgrims had property rights, they became much more productive and brought in huge harvests -- which they were then able to share with the Indians.

I didn't watch the video. But that seems like an inaccurate reading of tragedy of the commons.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8815 on: November 26, 2020, 07:43:24 am »
I didn't watch the video. But that seems like an inaccurate reading of tragedy of the commons.

Whatever grain of correctness there may be is buried under weird phrasing, probably because he wanted to imply that the commons was or should have been private property.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8816 on: November 26, 2020, 07:49:42 am »
Private property is a fine thing, but a lot of large projects (like clearing tracts of land, or building dikes, or draining swamps, or building rice terraces etc) are only really possible when done as a large group.
Most of the world's high intensity farmland was traditionally collectively owned, as that was the best way to prime the land for farming.
It's only really after all the hard labour is done that it's at all feasible for the wealthy to move in and buy it all up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:51:15 am by Kyndo »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #8817 on: November 26, 2020, 07:57:38 am »
uhhhhhhh excuse me but im pretty sure squanto saved the pilgrims not private property rights

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8818 on: November 26, 2020, 08:19:16 am »
uhhhhhhh excuse me but im pretty sure squanto saved the pilgrims not private property rights

This is why there's no point in conversing with Stossel Lite, here.  Anyone who begins with: "Did you know that the pilgrims almost starved after they arrived at Plymouth Rock? "  just can't be taken seriously.  The fact that they almost starved (43 of them did) is easily the MOST WELL-KNOWN FACT ABOUT THE PILGRIMS, for John Stossel's sake!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #8819 on: November 26, 2020, 09:33:50 am »

I thought that phrase was reserved for Labor Day. Kidding. I make a point to thank private whenever it crosses my path.

for John Stossel's sake!

Please donít use the Lordís name in vain.