Read 1417974 times

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #8740 on: October 15, 2020, 02:06:49 pm »
Chinguetti!
Can you remember if it was striped striped longitudinally, or laterally?

They were lateral stripes. This thing was also really rubbery to the touch, too. Had no hairs that I could feel.

No one at my camp could identify what I was talking about, either. Makes me wish that I'd been more level-headed and not thrown the thing, haha.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #8741 on: October 15, 2020, 04:20:57 pm »
The cost of housing in Seoul, including apartments, climbed 18.8 percent over the past year

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20201015000907

the average price of housing in the capital came to 32.73 million won per 3.3 square meters

Ten million won per square meter?!

I’m shocked!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #8742 on: October 16, 2020, 10:50:34 pm »
Hey y'all. Little makgeolli proper for you.

I'm making a triple stage makgeolli for my graduation project.

So! I want to make 8L batch.

Well, in 3 stages that's

400g rice/ 2L water x2

And then 3.2kg steamed rice.

So you take the first 400g and make porridge. 400g and 2L. Put that in a pot. Make porridge. Add the nuruk. Fermentation starter.

After 3 days? That shit is bubbling. All the rice is broken down from boiling it, you've added enough nuruk for 4kg of rice. Add another 400g/2L porridge. This sets up the foundation.

It is very water heavy. The nuruk is voracious, It has a little broken down rice and it is burning through that. That's where the picture was taken.

This Monday I'll steam a bunch of chapssal. I'll steam it with vanilla. One pod.

2 weeks later? I'll add 800g of defrosted frozen cherries

3 days later? Filter.

But the vanilla ain't done. Once it's filtered? I'll scrape out another pod. I'll add it to a shot of 17% soju. Make a tincture. dd that tincture to the brew.

Few days later? Siphon off the top and you have Cheongju. Mak without the sediment.

And that will be the entry.

Wish me luck.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8743 on: October 17, 2020, 02:03:32 am »
Here is a true story of how someone made fruit wine and, then, triple-distilled moonshine.

When my dad retired he turned the cherry tree, apple tree and grape vine in our small yard (as well as the three neglected apricot trees and the pear tree on nearby public land that he watered) into an alcohol generator. (This was in the Canadian 80,000-or-so populated south-central B.C. city of Kamloops, officially a semi-arid desert in the valleys - "Kamloopa" in native language meaning "meeting of three rivers"; lots of sun and heat and dry weather making for great growing of fruit if you add water.)

And i was surprised how bloody simple the process was.

My dad said, "There's f***-all to it." (Of course his uni degree was in mechanical engineering; ol' Philosophy major me had no idea.)

Here is how easy it is:

Simply put fruit in a bucket and a lot of sugar (my dad eyeballed it, no measuring, and said the amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of the fruit) and cover it for a week or so (i can't recall how he knew when to stop), then strain it (my dad used the same white pillow case for years) into another bucket and let it sit. Voila, alcohol.

It was sweet and flavorful, though muddy colored.

Now, my dad threw out several batches at first, experimented with "timing", though measured nothing. I guess it's like how a cook knows when to add things and adjust things.

But most of the fruit wine he then put in one of those long soda pop metal canisters for on-tap dispensing, he having welded long twisty copper tubing onto the top. Then he put the canister sidewards on a double burner and cranked the heat, the tubing going into and out of a bucket of cold water, with clear distilled swill coming out in drips and drops into a new bucket.

He then would put it all back into the canister and repeated the process twice, resulting in a TRIPLE-DISTILLED process that resulted in "rocket fuel" he said, burning your mouth straight but cut with equal amounts of whatever mixer you want, still was stronger than store-bought hard liquor.

He would light a spoonful and put it on a dish on the kitchen table and it would burn for a long time.

I told him i was worried because it was illegal. But my dad was a member of the Lions' club and two RCMP police officers from the club, including a senior shift supervisor, would come over about once every month and share a drink and take home a bottle!

(I was a newspaper reporter at the time so I was very uncomfortable with all this.)

Guys were bringing my dad boxes and boxes of harvested fruit and my dad would give them a couple of bottles of swill (keeping several himself). He would also accept tobacco in trade.

It was a cottage industry that supplemented his small (he never was much into saving) retirement income.

When he passed at age 77 of lung cancer (chain smoker), I brought half his stash - about 30 bottles of 3x-distilled stuff to the wake/memorial at a friend of his' place, and a lot of people got drunk, laughed telling stories about my dad, no booze left at the end (many took a bottle home at the end of the night).

Postscript: I was horrified to get a package from my dad years earlier when I was in my 4th year in Korea: it was a bottle of 7-Up. I knew immediately when i saw it that it was not soda pop. He also had sent fresh Hungarian sausage. I was stunned that the package got through customs. I can't recall what he labeled it, but it certainly must've been misleading!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:35:40 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #8744 on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:12 am »
CO2.. I'll wish you good luck. An interesting project. I hope it turns out well. As an aside, have you ever made soju?

VanIslander.. good story. Yeah, back in the day customs could be a bit slack at times.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8745 on: October 17, 2020, 09:03:51 am »
damn, sounds good CO2. suddenly got the overwhelming urge to drink makgeolli.. but it's only 10am ;)

« Reply #8746 on: October 17, 2020, 10:30:29 pm »
Whatever you do, please don't ruin your awesome natural makgeolli/cheongju with that awful soju that comes in green bottles. Hwayo's 17% offering is a bit bland but natural.

And since you seem to be a competent chemist, do you have any idea where I could get campden tablets or similar without ordering from outside of Korea? Somebody sent me a million persimmons and I want to make wine, but I'm much more experienced in the drinking part of alcoholic beverages than the actual making, and sulphites/sulfites are the one thing I can't find within Korea.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8747 on: October 17, 2020, 11:38:34 pm »
Chimpanzees on the north side of the Congo river may not have evolved into the sexually-busy Bonobos on the south side of the river, but they have regularly consumed alcohol from fermented palm tree tops.

Alcohol consumption may actually predate homo sapiens emergence from Africa.

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8748 on: October 18, 2020, 04:41:00 am »
Chimpanzees on the north side of the Congo river may not have evolved into the sexually-busy Bonobos on the south side of the river, but they have regularly consumed alcohol from fermented palm tree tops.

Alcohol consumption may actually predate homo sapiens emergence from Africa.

Got any good information on the sloths?  They do not seem like the type to drink alcohol.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #8750 on: October 21, 2020, 03:07:01 am »
How are women making millions a month on OnlyFans? Why are so many guys giving them money?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-76DXNQdxM4

I remember reading how Jordan Peterson is pulling 80k a month on Patreon and thinking, “Wow, that’s a lot!”, but this is absolutely dwarfed by Blac Chyna’s 20 million a month on OnlyFans. Bella Thorne made an OnlyFans account and got over a million dollars the first day. Why are thirsty guys throwing money at women? It’s pathetic.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8751 on: October 21, 2020, 03:40:42 am »
How are women making millions a month on OnlyFans? Why are so many guys giving them money?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-76DXNQdxM4

I remember reading how Jordan Peterson is pulling 80k a month on Patreon and thinking, “Wow, that’s a lot!”, but this is absolutely dwarfed by Blac Chyna’s 20 million a month on OnlyFans. Bella Thorne made an OnlyFans account and got over a million dollars the first day. Why are thirsty guys throwing money at women? It’s pathetic.

I have a theory that a lot of the money talked about in the entertainment business is grossly exaggerated as part of the marketing.

The fancy cars, the diamonds studded everything... all provided by sponsors.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #8752 on: October 22, 2020, 04:38:12 am »
The opposite is true. It's in their interest to downplay / hide how much they're raking in to get more donations / appear more accessible and also stay under the radar so as not to be the target of thieves and government tax agencies.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8753 on: October 22, 2020, 02:36:17 pm »
I think that both techniques are used, and not mutually exclusive.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #8754 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:47 pm »
The former is used by rap video men, wanting to look alpha to get street cred from other gangstas and to impress women with their wealth.

But girls on OnlyFans don’t want guys to know loads of other guys are donating ‘cause that might result in less donations. They want the guy to feel like they have a chance. (Which they don’t.)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #8755 on: October 22, 2020, 02:48:18 pm »
The former is used by rap video men,

Are you 83 years old? hahahahaha

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8756 on: October 22, 2020, 02:57:20 pm »
boomer moment

« Reply #8757 on: October 22, 2020, 03:15:18 pm »
The former is used by rap video men

I'm remembering this one till the day I day. Anyway, I've got to contact Mrs Aristocrat, on the electric telephone, to see if she needs me to pick her up in my automobile.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #8758 on: October 22, 2020, 03:20:08 pm »
I'm remembering this one till the day I day. Anyway, I've got to contact Mrs Aristocrat, on the electric telephone, to see if she needs me to pick her up in my automobile.

Those dark urban poets sure do love a broad's bottom, by jove!

« Reply #8759 on: October 22, 2020, 03:35:23 pm »
Those dark urban poets sure do love a broad's bottom, by jove!

Bully!