Read 1030211 times

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #860 on: June 09, 2016, 03:32:26 pm »
Because of recent events, there are now plans to install bars over the bedroom windows of the teachers' residences. And our doors are gonna be changed to some kind of keycard system. Call me simple, but I actually prefer the old fashioned lock and key... not really looking forward to the changes.

Newfangled stuff just reminds me of how a friend once got locked outside of his apt because a storm had somehow messed up the security system; he couldn't get past the gate to his actual apt door. It got fixed the next morning but he had to crash elsewhere for the night. And this was in the city.

I'm out in the sticks and I doubt there's gonna be any technician available anywhere nearby if something goes wrong with the technology. The chances of errors/malfunctions are probably pretty slim but I guess I oughta be ready to MacGyver it should the occasion call.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #861 on: June 09, 2016, 03:35:07 pm »
"The chair" at my place is the space under the clothes horse, or sometimes a folded pile atop my dirty washing box (the box keeps all the funk in, and there's a second shoebox inside for socks to minimise cross contamination).
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #862 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:58 am »

Weird think to think about, isn't it?  How ingrained in us that "shame" is  :laugh:

I spoke with my roommate about it and she was baffled as to why Americans felt so strongly about at least rotating clothes for the sake of appearances. It just wasn't a big deal if you wore the same shirt with different pants, or whatever. 

Edit: that's just my opinion/take on it.  I'm just musing aloud on the cultural difference because I think it's interesting. 

The only thing odd about it is that a Korean is baffled by it.  Things like shame and appearances should be easily understood.  Not much of a cultural difference, just a different application of the same basic human social structure.

« Reply #863 on: June 10, 2016, 11:44:25 am »
Just gave my dog a dog biscuit, and instead of eating it, he's looking at and making weird noises at me.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #864 on: June 10, 2016, 11:46:01 am »
Just gave my dog a dog biscuit, and instead of eating it, he's looking at and making weird noises at me.

My friend has a dog who refuses to drink unfiltered water. If you give him tap, he will glare at the bowl and bark at you.

• walrus
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 02:45:36 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #865 on: June 10, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »
Just posting to get my hundreth post in, and it's Friday, so i  figured this would be a good day to post in the pointless FRIDAY rambling thread. Sorry to be making a point in the pointless thread though, but hell, at least i got the day right....

« Reply #866 on: June 10, 2016, 12:28:46 pm »

My friend has a dog who refuses to drink unfiltered water. If you give him tap, he will glare at the bowl and bark at you.
Mine doesn't seem to want to drink from anything but his bowl.  I've tried to get him to drink from many different water dispensing devices, especially when we're out on hot days going through a park, he won't have it.  I'm trying to train him now to drink from a water bottle attachment that attaches to his crate for when we fly in a couple of months.  Even after taking away his water bowl, he's still not interested in it.

It turned out the biscuit was a tad too big, broke it up into a couple of pieces and he gobbled it right up.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #867 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:06 pm »

Mine doesn't seem to want to drink from anything but his bowl.  I've tried to get him to drink from many different water dispensing devices, especially when we're out on hot days going through a park, he won't have it.  I'm trying to train him now to drink from a water bottle attachment that attaches to his crate for when we fly in a couple of months.  Even after taking away his water bowl, he's still not interested in it.

It turned out the biscuit was a tad too big, broke it up into a couple of pieces and he gobbled it right up.

My family cat back home refuses to drink from her bowl, only from a glass. She would drink from people's glasses in the house and we would shout at her, then we would see her literally trying to get water out of the tap because she's so thirsty. So we finally gave in and gave her her own small tumbler of water and she happily drank from that. So bizarre.

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #868 on: June 10, 2016, 12:42:09 pm »

Is it a yipyip dog? Small dogs like to drink out of tiny things. My mom has a Yorkie that will drink water out of the same kind of dispenser as a hamster uses (maybe slightly larger). But he took a while to figure out what it was.

« Reply #869 on: June 10, 2016, 12:58:58 pm »

Is it a yipyip dog? Small dogs like to drink out of tiny things. My mom has a Yorkie that will drink water out of the same kind of dispenser as a hamster uses (maybe slightly larger). But he took a while to figure out what it was.
Oh hell no, you couldn't pay me to own a little yappy dog.  He's a shiba inu, so about medium size (11 kilos).

« Reply #870 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:52 pm »
Oh hell no, you couldn't pay me to own a little yappy dog.  He's a shiba inu, so about medium size (11 kilos).

So you've got a cat that thinks it's a dog. xD

Had a toy poodle that refused to eat anything that wasn't on a plate. He'll drink out of the toilet, but heaven-forbid if his food were ever in a bowl or touching the ground.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #871 on: June 10, 2016, 01:27:24 pm »
Weird think to think about, isn't it?  How ingrained in us that "shame" is  :laugh:
I spoke with my roommate about it and she was baffled as to why Americans felt so strongly about at least rotating clothes for the sake of appearances. It just wasn't a big deal if you wore the same shirt with different pants, or whatever.

The only thing odd about it is that a Korean is baffled by it.  Things like shame and appearances should be easily understood.  Not much of a cultural difference, just a different application of the same basic human social structure.
There should be zero shame involved.
This is just classism at best. Not everybody wants/has room/has money to buy a million pairs of everything, and then spend oodles of time planning clothing rotation schedules. Who cares if you wear the same clothes several times a week? So long as everything is clean, pristine, and lookin' tidy, no big deal. 

Guess I'm not American. :undecided:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #872 on: June 11, 2016, 10:10:03 pm »

There should be zero shame involved.
This is just classism at best. Not everybody wants/has room/has money to buy a million pairs of everything, and then spend oodles of time planning clothing rotation schedules. Who cares if you wear the same clothes several times a week? So long as everything is clean, pristine, and lookin' tidy, no big deal. 

Guess I'm not American. :undecided:

I am not American either.
Classism is real.
You ask "who cares?"
Lots of people, even if you don't.
Personally, I try not to judge, but am aware that I am judged.

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #873 on: June 11, 2016, 11:16:22 pm »
If I wore the same shirt eveyday in the states, it would be talked about. If I wear the same shirt everyday here, it would be talked about. If I wore the same shirt everyday in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, or Detroit, then it's a different story.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #874 on: June 12, 2016, 10:58:51 pm »

Edit: that's just my opinion/take on it.  I'm just musing aloud on the cultural difference because I think it's interesting. 

My college roommate was/is Chinese.  The cultural difference lies in where the line is drawn.  Even in Korea it's acceptable to wear an article of clothing more than once in the same week.  My point is in the USA myself or others would be shamed for doing that.  I can't speak for other countries, but where I grew up there was a very strong sense of shame associated with it--and I agree with kyndo that it likely stems from classism.

Korea has classism too in many ways, even more than the USA maybe.  But the clothing thing in particular is just an odd and noticeable cultural difference to me.

• twinsaurus
  • Veteran

• February 22, 2014, 12:22:03 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #875 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:04 am »
I routinely will wear the same items (not entire outfits) more than once a week.

Traveling is the time I think it's more acceptable by any culture to wear the same clothes twice or more in a row. Some people like to pack light. I've frequently been on short trips where I only pack underwear and wear the same outfit a couple days in a row.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #876 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:23 am »
I am not American either.
We should form a club!
Classism is real.
Unfortunately. :sad:
You ask "who cares?"
Lots of people, even if you don't.
I meant the question to be rhetorical. Sort of "I know there are people out there who care about it but I wish that there weren't. They should care about other things. Like video games, oxford commas, and finding out once and for all what colour this dress actually is."
Personally, I try not to judge, but am aware that I am judged.
I try too, but sometimes people make it so very very difficult...

« Reply #877 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:29 am »
I routinely will wear the same items (not entire outfits) more than once a week.

Traveling is the time I think it's more acceptable by any culture to wear the same clothes twice or more in a row. Some people like to pack light. I've frequently been on short trips where I only pack underwear and wear the same outfit a couple days in a row.

I change my shirt at least twice a day in the Korean summer.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #878 on: June 13, 2016, 10:38:58 am »
Holy Hell.

The tourism Korea page for Daebudo says that it's the "Hawaii of Ansan."

If there were ever a tall claim. hahahahaha The Sageori is the Times Square of this butthole village. hahahahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #879 on: June 13, 2016, 11:47:37 am »
Holy Hell.

The tourism Korea page for Daebudo says that it's the "Hawaii of Ansan."

If there were ever a tall claim. hahahahaha The Sageori is the Times Square of this butthole village. hahahahahaha
"If you have any problems with the functioning or content of this page, please send us a message using this form."
Click that "Report Error" button! :laugh: