Read 1315519 times

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #8260 on: July 31, 2020, 01:37:38 pm »
 8)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #8261 on: July 31, 2020, 02:06:12 pm »
Answering questions for co-teachers about these Suneung-ass questions is so difficult.

"Even after unintentionally going backwards a few times, they might continue to perceive the buttons............ .."

:-* Kevin Teacher, can I write stop here? (the italicised part)

:lipsrsealed: What?

:-* Can I write stop?

:lipsrsealed: Well, I don't know.

:-* What? Why?

I read the rest of the text excerpt and it's something to do with User interaces for web development? I have no idea.

:lipsrsealed: I mean, that would change the meaning of the sentence. Do you mean if it would be grammatically correct, or technically correct?

:-* Both.

:lipsrsealed: I............. I don't know anything about web development. None of this makes any sense to me. I know it's in English but every sentence has a page of meaning and knowledge in it. I don't even know what they're trying to convey. But "continue to perceive" and "stop perceiving" are opposites and switching them out fundamentally changes the meaning of the sentence. They're both grammatically correct.

:-* Which one should I use?

:lipsrsealed: I CAN'T answer that.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #8262 on: July 31, 2020, 02:09:19 pm »
yeah dude i really wonder why they make the tests like that

« Reply #8263 on: July 31, 2020, 02:13:11 pm »
yeah dude i really wonder why they make the tests like that

So that the whole nation can gasp in awe at the four kids who were lucky enough to guess every question correctly on a multiple choice test every year.

“Shit, I got that one wrong? No Seoul Dae for me  :sad:

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8264 on: July 31, 2020, 02:18:57 pm »
I'm helping one of the highschool teacher write his year end tests. Sooooooo much grammar!

Whenever something like this comes up, I tell him that it's best to just refine the question so that alternative answers don't fit.
Tell them to include stuff like "without changing the meaning of the sentence in the context of the paragraph", or "which of the following answers *best* describes...
This way, even if there are multiple correct answers, or students come up with something deviously creative, you can still mark it wrong.

Also, the excerpts on most HS exams are almost all from EBS guide books, and they're all so hyper random. I asked to borrow one of the books, read through it for giggles, and am now 17% more knowledgeable on the topics of Japanese automobile company corporate structure, the reproductive vs survival resource requirements for American east-coast songbirds, the formation of the mid-west basin, the universal ratio of hydrogen to helium since the Big Bang, and the economic implications of the Black Sea dead zones.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8265 on: July 31, 2020, 02:22:33 pm »
So that the whole nation can gasp in awe at the four kids who were lucky enough to guess every question correctly on a multiple choice test every year.

“Shit, I got that one wrong? No Seoul Dae for me  :sad:

Better lucky than good, I always say

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8266 on: July 31, 2020, 02:25:11 pm »
I'm helping one of the highschool teacher write his year end tests. Sooooooo much grammar!

Whenever something like this comes up, I tell him that it's best to just refine the question so that alternative answers don't fit.
Tell them to include stuff like "without changing the meaning of the sentence in the context of the paragraph", or "which of the following answers *best* describes...
This way, even if there are multiple correct answers, or students come up with something deviously creative, you can still mark it wrong.

Also, the excerpts on most HS exams are almost all from EBS guide books, and they're all so hyper random. I asked to borrow one of the books, read through it for giggles, and am now 17% more knowledgeable on the topics of Japanese automobile company corporate structure, the reproductive vs survival resource requirements for American east-coast songbirds, the formation of the mid-west basin, the universal ratio of hydrogen to helium since the Big Bang, and the economic implications of the Black Sea dead zones.
yeah i remember this from teaching IELTS reading sections. i'd always learn lots of weird things

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8267 on: July 31, 2020, 02:36:55 pm »
Elementary schools in this town start vacation today. Young kids have had so little schooling this calendar year, with winter vacation, COVID19 break and now summer vacation. The hagwon young kids have a distinct advantage, having continued to learn five days a week, about 80-90 extra lessons this year!

Middle schools have tests until next Wednesday, then a short vacay starting a week after that. Some middle schools have just under two-weeks summer vacation. I torture them by pointing out that in Canada, summer vacation is almost three-months long, from mid-June to the second Monday in September. :)

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8268 on: July 31, 2020, 07:08:56 pm »
Breaking my weekend silence as I feel I need to mention a fantastic troll today.

So on the way out of work (last day of school before vacation) my co teacher (the one who handles all the information stuff) asked me what I’m going to do for vacation. I said, ‘flying to Indonesia tonight! Bye!’ and walked off in the direction of home.

Cue 5 desperate messages when I got back, pleading with me not to go. Hahaha, you gotta love it. I text back with, ‘oh I was just joking, I thought you knew it was a joke ㅋㅋㅋ! Anyway, enjoy your trip to Jeju! (also going to airports, hotels, restaurants, swimming pools and beaches - but apparently perfectly safe..)

It’s the little things I guess :D

Have a great break everyone! See you on the other side!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8269 on: July 31, 2020, 07:28:14 pm »
You should have said Italy. ;)

« Reply #8270 on: July 31, 2020, 08:21:41 pm »
It might have been more a matter of, “Shit, now I have to do five pages of useless paperwork to record this guys trip!”

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #8271 on: Yesterday at 07:41:27 am »
Tales From the Taxi Rank.

So, I've mentioned that I go to Cheonan a lot.  I'll come back to school in Anyang real early on Mondays, I gotta get the 6:52 train from Cheonan to Geumjoeng.

Taxi from GF house to Dujeong station, EVERY TIME. So, it's pissing down this morning, like really torrential. I walk to the taxi post. No shelter, it's a post. The bus stop, also a post, is 2m west. There are 5 distinct groups all sheltered under various awnings within............. 15m?

Regularly, the bus people would be a little further west than the taxi post. Cool. Today? I have no idea who's waiting for the bus or who is waiting for a taxi. My feet are soaked already, after having been outside for less than 5 minutes, the train is gonna be slow as shit, due to the weather, I'm going in.

So............ I stand at the taxi pole. I start a line. Maybe all 5 of these groups are waiting for taxis, no one is taking the bus, but too bad.  I line up, umbrella above my head (which is only protecting 2/3 of me anyway).

What happens? People start to shift uncomfortably. Start rocking back on forth on their feet. Did........... did I just cut the line? No, I don't think so. For all I know these people just like awnings. For all I know, they're all waiting for the bus.  An ajumma is first, she starts pacing around in a 2m circle behind me for a few seconds............ .... then she gets behind me. Now it's on, hahahaha. Every other group races out, opens their umbrellas, steps into the hurricane and lines up.

Like, what were they gonna do prior to me starting a queue? Anytime there's more than 3 groups, it's impossible to know who was there first. 2 people are waiting, they know who's first. Third person shows up they know they're last and to let the other two sort it out, but anything larger than that and the system fails.

So here we are, all getting pissed on. 45 seconds later? Taxi shows up, I hop in and we're off. Maybe the person last in line was there first  and has been waiting 6 mins? I have no idea, but I'm not going to broker a system in the rain with strangers in Korean. It ain't happening. Line up. None of us own cars, so sometimes you get rained on, C'est la vie.

Any one else have any taxi queue tales? Anyone think I did the correct thing, or was there a better way?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:02:42 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8272 on: Yesterday at 07:53:49 am »
yeah you can't have your cake and eat it. line up and get a little wet. or don't line up under the shelter and wait until everyone else got their taxi

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8273 on: Yesterday at 04:55:57 pm »
was there a better way?
Use Kakao Taxi.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #8274 on: Yesterday at 08:51:27 pm »
Tales From the Taxi Rank.

Anyone want to know if buying a car and driving is worth the hassle? Here's your answer.