Read 1278509 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #7560 on: March 18, 2020, 09:12:32 am »
My new co-teacher talks to herself.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #7561 on: March 31, 2020, 02:20:11 pm »
I've actually been creating new content while working from home.

I spent a lot of time on all of it.

And now coming to learn that it was all probably for nothing, lmao.

Gonna have to change or outright discard most of it to accommodate online learning, but at this point I don't know what my schools or edu office are going to want from me. So now I've lost a lot of motivation to even do anything until I receive some sort of direction.

« Reply #7562 on: March 31, 2020, 02:29:01 pm »
I've actually been creating new content while working from home.

I spent a lot of time on all of it.

And now coming to learn that it was all probably for nothing, lmao.

Gonna have to change or outright discard most of it to accommodate online learning, but at this point I don't know what my schools or edu office are going to want from me. So now I've lost a lot of motivation to even do anything until I receive some sort of direction.

Are you teaching elementary Chinguetti?  You have until the 16th, so there is some more time to get motivation back....  :-*

I'm reading this now...

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/advice-online-teaching

...to get my brain going.  I was looking at some classes I did before that I think will work okay in the online forum.  I'm kind of thinking about how I should arrange my classroom though.  I suppose I want to be looking at the tv, but it is in a corner, which is the same wall as the blackboard so it's impossible to write something for the students to read.  Maybe they'll get some mobile whiteboards for teachers to use. 

« Reply #7563 on: March 31, 2020, 02:43:09 pm »
Are you teaching elementary Chinguetti?  You have until the 16th, so there is some more time to get motivation back....  :-*

I'm reading this now...

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/advice-online-teaching

...to get my brain going.  I was looking at some classes I did before that I think will work okay in the online forum.  I'm kind of thinking about how I should arrange my classroom though.  I suppose I want to be looking at the tv, but it is in a corner, which is the same wall as the blackboard so it's impossible to write something for the students to read.  Maybe they'll get some mobile whiteboards for teachers to use. 

No, it's all middle school right now. I'm not really worried about my travel schools, my classes there are only around 1-6 students per class in those, lol. It's my main that concerns me, not just because the classes are larger, but also because my main has an incredibly wide range of students with behavior and learning issues.

I've also been reading talk here and there about how a lot of schools may not even involve their NETs in online classes, at least for now, because KTs are currently scrambling trying to figure their own shit out. Seems to be highly varied and completely dependent on the schools. I don't even know what platform is going to be used.

You teach high school, right? Has your school been transparent with you about what its plans are?

And thanks for the link, I'll definitely give it a look once it's back up and running, lol (it's showing up crashed on my side).

« Reply #7564 on: March 31, 2020, 03:05:24 pm »
No, it's all middle school right now. I'm not really worried about my travel schools, my classes there are only around 1-6 students per class in those, lol. It's my main that concerns me, not just because the classes are larger, but also because my main has an incredibly wide range of students with behavior and learning issues.

I've also been reading talk here and there about how a lot of schools may not even involve their NETs in online classes, at least for now, because KTs are currently scrambling trying to figure their own shit out. Seems to be highly varied and completely dependent on the schools. I don't even know what platform is going to be used.

You teach high school, right? Has your school been transparent with you about what its plans are?

And thanks for the link, I'll definitely give it a look once it's back up and running, lol (it's showing up crashed on my side).

Yeh, I would have thought that travel schools wouldn't be an issue.  So that's good.

Yep, from what my co-teacher told me today he said a lot of teachers were against this kind of class.   So it seems as bad for them as it would be for us.  But I think we're probably a bit more flexible with these things.  I suppose it depends on the platform the public schools use.  If it's crap it's going to make it much harder.  We'll find out tomorrow what platform as all the teachers should go in for two days, so I'll get more info tomorrow. 

I only went in school today as I got a circular message for all teachers about this yesterday, but nobody has called me up otherwise.  I think tomorrow will be much clearer with this and I don't really mind helping.  My co-t said that the art teacher flatly refused.   :laugh: I suppose art, cooking and PE would be kind of stupid to teach online, and all the teachers in my school who teach those subjects are around 59 years old.  Should be fun for them.  From reading articles like this, I suppose I'm trying to get a feel of what to do, planning, and especially seeing if there are things I already do in class that may transfer easily.  I think the setup of the classroom and materials will be the most important.  I was also thinking that if I just think that it could last four weeks max, then that makes it feel much shorter term, which makes it feel a more achievable goal.   

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7565 on: March 31, 2020, 03:32:57 pm »
i imagine it'll last until at least the end of the semester. don't imagine coronavirus cases dropping off completely any time soon

i, too, find out about online teaching tomorrow. should be, uh, interesting

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7566 on: March 31, 2020, 05:28:51 pm »
Actually art would be one of the easier subjects to teach online as it doesn't require any collaboration. Just tell the kids to point the camera at their painting while they're working on it and the teacher can tell individuals what they're doing wrong

« Reply #7567 on: April 01, 2020, 10:32:19 am »
I made a fancy grilled cheese sandwich like the one in The Hunt.

Either I'm really bad at making fancy grilled cheese sandwiches, or they're only just alright and not worth the effort of making them fancy.

« Reply #7568 on: April 01, 2020, 10:46:54 am »
 Did you use Gruyere Cheese?

I still prefer using real English cheddar.

If you are in - or venture forth to - Seoul, Magpie Pub makes a great Grilled Cheese sandwich...with or without real Ham.

I also make my own Jaffles; another great sandwich option...

« Reply #7569 on: April 01, 2020, 12:26:15 pm »
Yes, I did. It's not bad, but it had a bitterness to it that I wasn't prepared for, and I didn't like that. Or maybe it just wasn't good gruyere cheese. Ima be a sucker and order some more but from a different source. Maybe I'll have better luck with that.

But yeah, so far I prefer cheddar. Was hoping to find something that isn't as strong as cheddar, though, because I find cheddar a little overwhelming. I want something with a similar tang but lighter and with a little bit of natural sweetness to balance out the salt.

And thanks, I'll give Magpie a swing by the next time I'm in Seoul.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #7570 on: April 01, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »
The international food mart in Itaewon had a nice mild cheddar on special offer last time I was in. I made souffles from it. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7571 on: April 01, 2020, 01:11:06 pm »
Actually art would be one of the easier subjects to teach online as it doesn't require any collaboration. Just tell the kids to point the camera at their painting while they're working on it and the teacher can tell individuals what they're doing wrong

Daughter #3 is a student at an art college in Canada. All of her classes have switched to distance ed except potery.

« Reply #7572 on: April 01, 2020, 02:42:32 pm »
The international food mart in Itaewon had a nice mild cheddar on special offer last time I was in. I made souffles from it. 

The Foreign Food Mart (my go-to shop for all things 'foreign' when I'm hosting dinner get-togethers (esp. Cheese and joints of Roast Beef ..) has really good prices on quite a variety of cheese - at least 3, sometimes 4 types of cheddar [if you include Red Leicester]. CHUNK 'O CHEESE in Kyungnidan has more variety, and the prices are not too bad [they also have a decent selection of Deli cold cuts...], but The Foreign Food Mart is definitely the best option for price.

Also, if anyone is looking for very good, high quality deli sausages, hams, salamis, and other assorted cold cuts, really check out

https://www.salthousekorea.com/

I believe the store in Mangwon is the only one open now, but you can phone to check...

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #7573 on: April 01, 2020, 02:56:13 pm »
The Foreign Food Mart (my go-to shop for all things 'foreign'

Yep that's the one I was talking about. Near that lounge bar called 'Bastard.'

« Reply #7574 on: April 01, 2020, 03:16:10 pm »
Yes, I did. It's not bad, but it had a bitterness to it that I wasn't prepared for, and I didn't like that. Or maybe it just wasn't good gruyere cheese. Ima be a sucker and order some more but from a different source. Maybe I'll have better luck with that.

But yeah, so far I prefer cheddar. Was hoping to find something that isn't as strong as cheddar, though, because I find cheddar a little overwhelming. I want something with a similar tang but lighter and with a little bit of natural sweetness to balance out the salt.

And thanks, I'll give Magpie a swing by the next time I'm in Seoul.

Well, you could try Stoat's suggestion: The Foreign Food Mart and Chunk O' Cheese both have very good Mild Cheddars - not salty at all.

Otherwise, perhaps a Havarti, or an Asiago (altho' Asiago is more expensive...). If you don't mind the slightly nutty (not salty)  taste, then Emmenthal might be an option, too.

Edam and Gouda are simply too bland for my taste...

« Reply #7575 on: April 02, 2020, 08:47:01 am »
Yes, thank you both for your suggestions, I will try all of the cheeses. Might even go *super* fancy and blend.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7576 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:01 pm »
does anyone else really like the people they work with?

don't get me wrong i've had some notsogreat experiences with a few co-teachers, but the majority of them have been great. same goes for the other korean teachers in general, i feel like i really won the russian roulette that is EPIK placements.

« Reply #7577 on: April 02, 2020, 12:37:50 pm »
I'm okay with most of them. They're normal people for the most part, and I like them as much as I would like any work acquaintance that I don't know much about. Like, I guess you could say that I'm pretty neutral about them. I respect and regard them about as much as they respect and regard me. Would never consider them hangout buddies, though, they're too guarded around me, and I've been burned too many times in the past. They've got their circles, I've got mine.

Every school that I've been assigned to has had people I've found abhorrent, though, and I've been unlucky enough to end up with a few of them as coteachers. For the most part, though, I haven't had any real problems with the people I've worked with. They're good folk.

« Reply #7578 on: April 02, 2020, 12:40:15 pm »

don't get me wrong i've had some notsogreat experiences with a few co-teachers, but the majority of them have been great. same goes for the other korean teachers in general, i feel like i really won the russian roulette that is EPIK placements.

Agree.  Love the teachers I work with and also the other subject teachers, about 50 in total. Being able to converse to a decent level in Korean really opens doors with other subject teachers and it also makes them feel more comfortable.  Win-win basically.  This is not to have a go at the new-comers as we've all been in the clingy stage to co-teachers at the beginning, but being able to communicate with others really helps as time passes. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7579 on: April 02, 2020, 02:09:47 pm »

Yes. First job I've had in years where everyone is really nice. Honestly, it's just nice to work with other native teachers (ones who aren't weird, too!)